[Multilingual] WWI Centenary (Armistice Day) Prose Collection Vol. III-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is the link for Section 9: "Authors and Soldiers" Section XIV from "Waiting for Daylight" by H. M. Tomlinson.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_authorsandsoldiers_tomlinson_mh_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 11:24.

A brief description:

Henry Major Tomlinson (21 June 1873 – 5 February 1958) was a British writer and journalist. He was known for anti-war and travel writing, novels and short stories, especially of life at sea. In World War I he was an official correspondent for the British Army, in France. In 1917 he returned to work with H. W. Massingham on The Nation, which opposed the war. His book of essays, “Waiting for Daylight” was published in 1922.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Mary. I've been traveling but hope to get caught up on PLing soon.

MaryAnn
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

For Volume III of WWI prose, I would like to record Chapter 1 from “Catastrophe and Social Change Based Upon a Sociological Study of The Halifax Disaster”. (December is the 100th anniversary of the event.) Although it was an accident rather than a deliberate act of war, the disaster had direct connections to World War I.

From the book: “About midway in the last two years of war—to be exact December, 1917,—a French munitioner heavily laden with trinitrotoluol, the most powerful of known explosives, reached Halifax from New York. On the early morning of the sixth of that month, she was proceeding under her own steam up the harbor-length toward anchorage in the basin—an oval expansion half-hidden by a blunt hill called Turple Head. Suddenly an empty Belgian relief ship swept through the Narrows directly in her pathway. There was a confusion of signals; a few agonized manoeuvers. The vessels collided; and the shock of their colliding shook the world!”

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37580/37580-h/37580-h.htm

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

mhhbook wrote:For Volume III of WWI prose, I would like to record Chapter 1 from “Catastrophe and Social Change Based Upon a Sociological Study of The Halifax Disaster”. (December is the 100th anniversary of the event.) Although it was an accident rather than a deliberate act of war, the disaster had direct connections to World War I.
Thanks Mary, I've added this to the MW.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Maria,
Diary is PL OK. Very well read, especially the "singing" and the voice from outside.
MaryAnn
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thank you, MaryAnn! Honestly, trying to figure out what to do about that alleged "singing" was very puzzling! Glad the solution was acceptable!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mary,
Section 9 is PL OK!
MaryAnn
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is the upload for Section 10 "Catastrophe and Social Change". Length is 18:51.49

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspi ... kb.mp3.mp3

And a brief description:

I first heard about the Halifax disaster thanks to a book blog by fellow LibriVoxer, Maria Kasper (commonsparrow3) In her list of books read in 2015, Maria mentions “Curse of the Narrows”, a non-fiction account of the disaster. The story of the disaster was fascinating and fit the category of material pertaining to World War I, although the explosion was not a deliberate act of war. I did a few recordings for the first and second prose volumes on World War I, but forgot about this incident until the third volume. I did a search on Gutenberg for “Halifax” and found “Catastrophe and Social Change Based Upon a Sociological Study of the Halifax Disaster.” This recording is the first chapter of that book.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Mary!
MaryAnn
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I would like to claim “Effects of Air-Raids and Aircraft on Birds” which is chapter 7 in Birds and the War by Hugh S Gladstone pp 80-95.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Colleen! I've made a note in the MW.

MaryAnn
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Here is Section 11, "Effects of Air-Raids and Aircraft on Birds", Chapter 7 of Birds and the War by Hugh S. Gladstone

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspi ... _128kb.mp3

16:58

Description: In this chapter, Hugh Gladstone looks at the variety of reactions (or lack thereof) that English birds had to the presence of aircraft in general, and the several air raids by zeppelin and airplane in the later years of the war.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Colleen.

I'm traveling quite a bit the next few days and will get caught up on PLing after the new year.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mary,
Catastrophe is PL OK. I had never heard of this before, and yet it was such a huge explosion! Wow.
MaryAnn
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

Hello Mary Ann,
great project, I just discovered it.

I would like to contribute a german text by Kurt Eisner, first Prime Minister of Bavaria, assassinated in 1919.
The title is "Wir Toten auf Urlaub". it will be less than 5 min.

I have a PD source on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_QglKAQAAIAAJ
Ricarda

Ingenious, really, how many ways muggles have found of getting along without magic. (Arthur Weasley)

My reading list