[Multilingual] WWI Centenary (Armistice Day) Prose Collection Vol. III-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
schrm

Post by schrm »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 17th, 2018, 4:08 pm Thank you schrm. Wilkommen!

One recording is fine.

How do I say "preface" and "Chapter 1" in german?

MaryAnn
Hi MaryAnn,

preface: "Vorwort"
chapter 1: "Kapitel 1" (it's titled "Ewiger Friede" - everlasting peace)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you! MW updated.
MaryAnn
schrm

Post by schrm »

Hi MaryAnn,

in the summaries posting, there is a typo:
"exceprt" instead of "excerpt"

(thx for that word, btw. i was looking for a synonym, but couldnt find one in late night hours :D )

14: Kurze Aufklärungen über Wesen und Ziel des Pazifismus by Alfred H. Fried, Vorwort und Kapitel 1, ''Ewiger Friede''
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_pazifismus_fried_schrm_128kb.mp3
Duration: 4:10 (rounded up, mm:ss)

Thank you (and the whole group) for MCing this!

Cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

schrm,

Very well read. Only one change to the intro and outro please.

The intro at the beginning should refer to "Kapitel 0 und Kapital 1" of the book. If you want, you can call Kapitel 0 the Vorwort, or you can call it Kapitel 0. Either is ok.

Then you do not need the "LV intro" before Kapitel 1. That is only for the beginning of the file. I also don't think you need to say "ende von kapitel 0", just finish reading the Vorwort text and then say "Kapital 1" and start reading the text of that chapter.

At the end, say "ende von kapitel 1", followed by the name of the book and the author.

Thanks.

MaryAnn
schrm

Post by schrm »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 18th, 2018, 7:15 pm schrm,

Very well read. Only one change to the intro and outro please.

The intro at the beginning should refer to "Kapitel 0 und Kapital 1" of the book. If you want, you can call Kapitel 0 the Vorwort, or you can call it Kapitel 0. Either is ok.

Then you do not need the "LV intro" before Kapitel 1. That is only for the beginning of the file. I also don't think you need to say "ende von kapitel 0", just finish reading the Vorwort text and then say "Kapital 1" and start reading the text of that chapter.

At the end, say "ende von kapitel 1", followed by the name of the book and the author.

Thanks.

MaryAnn
I was wondering about that, should have asked :-)
Thank you, MaryAnn, i will upload a corrected version!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

Hi MaryAnn,

the adjusted "enhanced intro/outro" version:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_pazifismus_fried_schrm_128kb-v2.mp3
Duration (changed) 04:04 (mm:ss rounded up)

Well, it is not perfect:
The outro mentions the foreword, too. and it is a sudden rise in volume. i tried to apply normalize and amplify after cutting it in, but it didnt help much.
I hope, it is ok despite these flaws
:oops:

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi MaryAnn

for the April challenge, this project would fit the bill for me, as I usually take great care to avoid all projects concerning any wars (simply too depressing for my taste). But I found a nice chapter in your list in the second post here. It's about French poetry during the wartime. It will be an added challenge to me, as the text is in English, but the poetry is in the original French. While I can read both languages, it is always tricky to switch from one to the other in the same text or even sentence sometimes. But I want to try it.

here is the link, I hope it will open on the right page... https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b744520;view=1up;seq=313

The section is very long though (45 pages in the book), so I would definitely need 2 sections, if not even three. Is that a problem ? Actually this will be a third challenge, as I've never tackled voluntarily a text that long :lol: This may take some time.

Ok now I need to post this proposal in the April challenge thread ! (before I change my mind and chicken out again)

Sonia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sonia,
That will be fantastic. You can split it into as many sections as you need. For now, I'll put 2 in the MW, but just let me know when you post #2 if that is the end, or if there is more to come.
MaryAnn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: April 8th, 2018, 4:22 pm You can split it into as many sections as you need. For now, I'll put 2 in the MW, but just let me know when you post #2 if that is the end, or if there is more to come.
good news, I just recorded the entire chapter and it looks like I only need ONE section. I recorded for 1 hour and a half straight (then my throat was ready to die :help: ). Now this was really a challenge for me (one I won't be repeating any time soon :lol: )

After cutting out all my errors I have a preliminary end-result of about one hour, which fits into one single section. :9:

I decided to leave out the 10 footnotes, is that ok with you ? I think they are not that interesting for the chapter. I had recorded them all intially though, so if you still want them, I can paste them in, I kept them in a separate folder. I think the length will stay under 70 minutes even with the footnotes, so no problem there. Just let me know.

Now I still need some time to edit and adjust pauses in between. I may post it tonight or tomorrow.

Sonia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

What a trooper!

Perfectly fine to leave the footnotes out.

MaryAnn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I managed to finish my section. :9: And despite it being an ordeal for me to record such a lengthy article, the poems I got to know were so beautiful (although sad).
The hardest task was to read one poem in the Anjou dialect. Another challenge I could chalk up for this section, I never read French regional dialect before. :lol:
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Perfectly fine to leave the footnotes out.
thank you, yes I did indeed leave them out, also the very last sentence, which was only a "see also: xy other volumes..." remark and wasn't really part of the chapter. Leaving this "anticlimactic" sentence out, allowed me to end the chapter on a very poignant final verse of French poetry, which I think is the perfect ending to this chapter. [Loosely translated: "I am alone in the trenches, I don't know how, but I am alive..."]

Here is the section, and I really only need one section after all, so you can delete one of the entries in the MW:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_poetryofwar_schinz_ss_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 56:05 min.

I also wrote a short synopsis, since this seems what all the others here also did:

"Poetry of the War", Chapter 1 of Part 2 from "French Literature of the Great War" by Albert Schinz. An overview of French and Belgian poets writing war poetry about and during the First World War, with a selection of some of their best poems recited in the original French. Includes excerpts from poems by Verhaeren, Péguy, Rostand, Dérieux, Leclerc, Mercier and Gregh, among others.

Is that sufficient for you ?

Sonia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

schrm,
Your section is now PL OK. Sorry for the delay.

Kitty,
Thank you. Do you suppose I can PL your section if I don't understand French? Is it mostly English?

MaryAnn
schrm

Post by schrm »

Thank you, MaryAnn!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: April 11th, 2018, 3:16 pmDo you suppose I can PL your section if I don't understand French? Is it mostly English?
well, it is about 55/45 English/French, I'm afraid. The poems really take of a lot of recording time. Though I would say, I speak clear and slowly enough for you to follow along with a text, but I don't know, if you are not used to reading French at all, maybe this may prove too exhausting :? I don't know how much or how little you know notions of French. You could check out the first two pages and see how you get along. There is a long poem already.

Sonia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Sonia. I'll give it a go. I trust your pronunciation and I'll be able to catch if there is a repeat or a skip by following with the text. :)

MaryAnn