Post by jillebean »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Jill,
May I read section 6?
MaryAnn
Of course! Thanks for volunteering. :)

Jill
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

vpelton wrote:May I do section 7, How Mother Robin Called a New Mate?
Yes, glad you're back for another section! :)

Jill
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

I figured it won't get "published" until it's complete, so might as well go for it.
My setup: Audacity, Windows 10, USB mic
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

JorWat wrote:
vpelton wrote:Could you make some suggestions for improving my reading?
Hi Vicki,

There's a page on the Wiki all about how to improve recording.

However, most of the things listed are not a problem in your recording. I suppose there is a bit of a plosive problem at times. Listen to the 'th' of 'thirteenth' at 0:06 or the 'p' of 'public' at 0:13.
I read the article & will keep those items in mind. I heard the 1st plosive, but not the 2nd. I'll be sure to pay attention to those in future readings. Thanks.
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

Is the "section title" for Section 7 the same as the story title, i.e., How mother robin called a new mate.

I think there might be an error in the text. If that happens, do you correct it or read it as printed?

In this case, it's the end of the 3rd paragraph from the end. It states, "… as kind and attentive to Mrs. Robin as had been poor old club-footed Mr". I think the end should be "Mr. Robin", as opposed to just "Mr.", since in the other parts of the story, it says "Mr. Robin".
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

vpelton wrote:Is the "section title" for Section 7 the same as the story title, i.e., How mother robin called a new mate.

I think there might be an error in the text. If that happens, do you correct it or read it as printed?

In this case, it's the end of the 3rd paragraph from the end. It states, "… as kind and attentive to Mrs. Robin as had been poor old club-footed Mr". I think the end should be "Mr. Robin", as opposed to just "Mr.", since in the other parts of the story, it says "Mr. Robin".
Yes, the section title is the same as the story title.

Sometimes when we suspect a mistake in the text we try to find the original images of the publication to verify what is printed in the ebook version we're using. In this case, I was able to find a version of it on Google Books and it looks like "Mr" is correct, not Mr. Robin, so you can read it as is in our text (Link to Google Books).

Thanks!

Jill :)
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

I recorded the preamble as specified, which includes the story title. Then I read the story, which also has the title. But then realized the story title was said twice. Is that right? Or, do I say it just once. Here is how I recorded it. Let me know if I should remove one instance of the title.

Section 7 of Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 11, Jan. 13, 1880.

This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org

Recording by Vicki Pelton, Estes Park, CO, www.curiousbunny.com

Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 11, Jan. 13, 1880. How mother robin called a new mate.

How mother robin called a new mate, by E. Jay Edwards. A friend of mine has a robin's nest …
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

vpelton wrote:I recorded the preamble as specified, which includes the story title. Then I read the story, which also has the title. But then realized the story title was said twice. Is that right? Or, do I say it just once. Here is how I recorded it. Let me know if I should remove one instance of the title.

Section 7 of Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 11, Jan. 13, 1880.

This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org

Recording by Vicki Pelton, Estes Park, CO, http://www.curiousbunny.com

Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 11, Jan. 13, 1880. How mother robin called a new mate.

How mother robin called a new mate, by E. Jay Edwards. A friend of mine has a robin's nest …
I'd treat How Mother Robin Called a New Mate like a chapter name. As such, I don't believe you need to read it twice. But I'd leave in the 'by E. Jay Edwards'.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

vpelton

Post by vpelton »

May I read section 8, Charley Bennet's Ghost Story & The House that Bell Built?

For the preamble, since there are 2 stories, I assume I do not say a "section title". Is that right?

Does that also include the 2 items that follow it, Flower-Pots for Rooms & The Advantages of Foreign Tongues?

For " MRS. MARGARET EYTINGE ", I'm going to pronounce the last name as eye-tinge. Is that right?
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

vpelton wrote:May I read section 8, Charley Bennet's Ghost Story & The House that Bell Built?

For the preamble, since there are 2 stories, I assume I do not say a "section title". Is that right?

Does that also include the 2 items that follow it, Flower-Pots for Rooms & The Advantages of Foreign Tongues?

For " MRS. MARGARET EYTINGE ", I'm going to pronounce the last name as eye-tinge. Is that right?
Flower-Pots for Rooms & The Advantages of Foreign Tongues are part of Section 9 (and in fact have already been read...)

And as long as you're consistent, and it's logical, it doesn't really matter how you pronounce names.
Jordan

vpelton

Post by vpelton »

JorWat wrote:
vpelton wrote:May I read section 8, Charley Bennet's Ghost Story & The House that Bell Built?

Flower-Pots for Rooms & The Advantages of Foreign Tongues are part of Section 9 (and in fact have already been read...)

And as long as you're consistent, and it's logical, it doesn't really matter how you pronounce names.
Ok. But may I read section 8?

jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Thank you for section 7, I'll put it in the MW after I write this note. Yes, you may read Section 8 which, as Jordan mentioned, does not include the Flower-Pots for Rooms and The Advantages of Foreign Tongues. As Jordan also mentioned, it's fine to read the name how you'd like.

The Section 8 preamble would be:
"Section 8 of Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 11, Jan. 13, 1880. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

[Optional]"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]."

"Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 11, Jan. 13, 1880. Charley Bennet's Ghost Story, by Mrs. Margaret Eytinge".

This would be followed by the text of this story. Then when you get to the next story/poem you would say:
"The House That Bell Built, or the Sad End of a Little Girl's Romance",
again followed by the text of the poem.

At the end say, "End of Section 8".
[Optional] "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]".

Does that help? Let me know what other questions you have. :)

Jill
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Hi Vicki,

PL OK!
Jordan

vpelton

Post by vpelton »

JorWat wrote:
Hi Vicki,

PL OK!
Thanks for doing the PL. I really appreciate it. On to Section 8.