COMPLETE Harper's Young People, Issue 11-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

EternityIndigo wrote:SURPRISE! Lady Primrose is ready for PL! I was so excited to read this that I just went and did it!

10m49s
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/hyp011_02_various_128kb.mp3

Hope it's good :D
Thank you!

Jill
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

EternityIndigo wrote:SURPRISE! Lady Primrose is ready for PL! I was so excited to read this that I just went and did it!

10m49s

Hope it's good :D
Hi Alex,
And other people lived there too; but that does not concern us. The old woman, plain and brown and wrinkled though she was, was the wisest and kindest old lady anywhere to be found, which is reason enough for her being in the story; and as for the little girl, you have already guessed that she is Lady Primrose; but how she came to be Lady Primrose is what makes the story.
I'm trying to work out if this is supposed to be parody...

Anyway, here are your notes:

00:24: You need to include 'Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 11, Jan. 13, 1880' again here.
10:48: You need about 5 seconds of silence at the end, you've got about 1.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
EternityIndigo

Post by EternityIndigo »

Alex Iñigo
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

EternityIndigo wrote:Here's my revision!

11m0.51s
Yep, it's good now!

PL OK
Jordan

BettyB

Post by BettyB »

jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Thanks, Betty!

Jill
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Those were easy puzzles? I wouldn't like to see the hard ones they received...

Anyway, PL OK.
Jordan

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I think I got the first puzzle . . .

W A R
A D A
R A W

But after that, it requires more effort than I have energy right now . . .

MaryAnn
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:I think I got the first puzzle . . .

W A R
A D A
R A W

But after that, it requires more effort than I have energy right now . . .

MaryAnn
Number 4 is Athens (the noun is ant, the biped is hen, the verb is sat). I had to resort to computer assistance to get that... I have no idea how you would get that otherwise, short of trying every 6 letter European city.

Of course, I could just cheat, and look at the next issue...

EDIT: I cheated. Turns out the 'boy of a certain race' in 3 was 'nig'...

And for number 6, they were:

Code: Select all

N or A.
E l  L.
W e  B.
A nn A.
R u  N.
K e  Y.
Quite how you're supposed to get from the vague clues (seriously, 'a verb'?) to those is way beyond me...
Jordan

jillebean

Post by jillebean »

:) Glad you're enjoying this issue's puzzles.

Jill
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

JorWat wrote:Quite how you're supposed to get from the vague clues (seriously, 'a verb'?) to those is way beyond me...
Maybe the idea was to keep the kiddies engaged and busy (and out of mom and pop's way) until the next issue came out! :lol:
MaryAnn
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

I would like to read section 11, The Egg Tombola; Stories of Dogs.

Just to let you know, this will be my very first reading. I thought it would be good to choose a short one. I've read all the newbie stuff. My 1 minute recording has been approved. I believe I'm supposed to wait for an ok from you before I begin.

Also, there are many symbols & acronyms used in the forums. Is there a place where they are all described? I found a place why they talked about the initials of people in the forums, but didn't find the other info. Thanks.
My setup: Audacity, Windows 10, USB mic
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

vpelton wrote:I would like to read section 11, The Egg Tombola; Stories of Dogs.

Just to let you know, this will be my very first reading. I thought it would be good to choose a short one. I've read all the newbie stuff. My 1 minute recording has been approved. I believe I'm supposed to wait for an ok from you before I begin.

Also, there are many symbols & acronyms used in the forums. Is there a place where they are all described? I found a place why they talked about the initials of people in the forums, but didn't find the other info. Thanks.
Hello! Welcome to LibriVox!

Certainly you may record section 11! We're glad to have you as part of the project.

There are a bunch of acronyms used around here. I don't know if there is a guide to what they all mean but I can tell you a few of the ones I can think of off-hand. First is the MW or Magic Window which is the section within the first post of any project that shows all the sections and their status. We also have PL and DPL which is Proof Listener or Proof Listen, depending on the context, and Dedicated Proof Listener. DPLs agree to do the proof listening for each section in a project, whereas a proof listener would pick up sections here and there to help out. BC is the book coordinator, usually the person who launches a project and assigns reader sections and answers questions here in the project. The MC is the meta coordinator or the overall supervisor for the project. MCs have higher level access to our systems and create our Magic Windows, answer questions and advise as needed, and they are the ones who catalog the project when it is complete. In our case for this project, MaryAnn is our MC and you can see that because her initials, "mas", are at the end of the title for this project above, and listed under the Upload information at the bottom of the first post.

Those are the primary acronyms you'll encounter. There is also the ~ symbol which you will see at the beginning of a project title if the project is looking for a DPL. The [bracketed] words in a title are a really general generic description of the project to help people find ones they're interested in. Anything else you encounter, feel free to ask any of us, we're very friendly around here and glad to help you understand the LV-speak (ah, that's another one, LV for Librivox).

I have added you to the LibriVox catalog, you can see your catalog page at: https://librivox.org/reader/11800. You can also get to this by clicking on your name in the Magic Window (MW). This is a good place to look to keep track of recordings you've signed up for, to see section details click on the link to "Reader Section Details" which appears just a few lines down from your name. This page includes your forum name "vpelton" and can also contain your real name or a pseudonym, plus a web site/blog if you have one you would like to link to. Let me know if you would like to add a name and/or a web site.

Again, welcome to LibriVox and enjoy!

Jill
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

Great. I'll start reading.

What a wonderful explanation you gave on all the acronyms. That was very helpful. It would be great to have that (& other terms) posted somewhere. I'll ask on the general question forum to see if there is anything. If not, I'll offer to write it up. If that's the case may I use your info to start? I'll let you know what I find out.
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

Turns out here's where all the acronyms & terms are explained.

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Glossary

Still don't know where the symbols in the forum are explained, but I've asked about that.