COMPLETE The Book of the Little Past by JP Peabody -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Kitty wrote:Section 21:
> please leave 0.5-1 second of silence at the beginning, you jump immediately into it, and some players tend to cut off the beginning apparently
I guess im too late and recordingperson already edited the start silence. There is no consensus across librivox as to what "no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence" means. I personally think it means that the silence should be short, but as dpl i let up to two seconds go. The space of a heartbeat is surely not too long. As a reader, i generally only leave only 0.2 seconds or so.

Some listeners talk of cut off beginning or end silence but im afraid that this usually has something to do with the settings of individual players (which you can usually change manually if you want). Incorrectly set up mp3 players arent a good thing to base our policies on.

Anyway, this is a thing of little importance so not to worry about it :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Carolin wrote:I guess im too late and recordingperson already edited the start silence. There is no consensus across librivox as to what "no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence" means. I personally think it means that the silence should be short, but as dpl i let up to two seconds go. The space of a heartbeat is surely not too long. As a reader, i generally only leave only 0.2 seconds or so.
:shock: oh this is the first I hear it's not compulsory. Well this will facilitate matters enormously. I'm sorry now for all the times I was so picky about this :?

Well, better late than never. I will refrain from mentioning the initial silence from now on.

Sonia
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

I'll leave the 0.75s gaps I have put there, as they are less than the maximum. I think that in future I'm going to put 0.5s gap on the front of my recordings.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RecordingPerson wrote:OK, I've done all that.

However, I wasn't quite sure what to do for the last one. I added both the 'end of poem. This recording is in the public domain.' and then a second later 'End of The Book of the Little Past by Josephine Preston Peabody.' followed by five seconds silence.
yes that is exactly how the final end disclaimer should be spoken :)

I re-checked all your old contributions once again (sorry again for the extra work):

Sections 21, 22, 30, 34: all Spot PL ok

> however Section 24 is now a blank file :shock: did you delete the audio by mistake ? :? I hope you still have it somewhere on your computer

Sonia
RecordingPerson

I don't understand. 24 is now a blank file on my computer as well. Worryingly, both the .wav file and the .mp3. So, I can't recover it. I note that it's exactly five seconds of silence (shades of the film: Contact), which I suspect means that I had five seconds silence selected and exported the selection instead of the whole file.

Wait a few minutes....
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yes thank you, this is now 89.8 dB, which is bang in the middle :thumbs:

PL ok now. You did not re-upload the other two files, or did you ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RecordingPerson wrote:I don't understand. 24 is now a blank file on my computer as well. Worryingly, both the .wav file and the .mp3. So, I can't recover it. I note that it's exactly five seconds of silence (shades of the film: Contact), which I suspect means that I had five seconds silence selected and exported the selection instead of the whole file.

Wait a few minutes....
in any case, you don't have to re-record ! Carolin can probably retrieve your old file from her archive. And from there we can adjust the silence once again. Wait for her to come back online before you do anything.

Sonia
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Last edited by pjcsaville on May 24th, 2017, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RecordingPerson

Kitty wrote:
RecordingPerson wrote:I don't understand. 24 is now a blank file on my computer as well. Worryingly, both the .wav file and the .mp3. So, I can't recover it. I note that it's exactly five seconds of silence (shades of the film: Contact), which I suspect means that I had five seconds silence selected and exported the selection instead of the whole file.

Wait a few minutes....
in any case, you don't have to re-record ! Carolin can probably retrieve your old file from her archive. And from there we can adjust the silence once again. Wait for her to come back online before you do anything.

Sonia
Oh, I've already re-recorded: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/bookofthelittlepast_24_peabody_128kb.mp3 0m54s

It was interesting that this reading of the poem is a first take with no restarts or edits. Though, I had to record the simple introduction three times and then had to drop in a better pronunciation of 'Preston'.

I could have done 'Oh, it looks at me' better as it's the last line in the poem. 'But I wouldn't go...' could be enunciated more clearly. But, it's encouraging for me that I'm becoming able to read whole poems without flubbing lines and having to restart over and over again. The only editing I did was that I allowed big gaps between verses to allow me to gather my thoughts, which I edited down after recording.

I've found my audio interface, so I should soon be contributing recordings of higher technical quality.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh you are fast today LOL
RecordingPerson wrote:Oh, I've already re-recorded: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/bookofthelittlepast_24_peabody_128kb.mp3 0m54s

it's encouraging for me that I'm becoming able to read whole poems without flubbing lines and having to restart over and over again. The only editing I did was that I allowed big gaps between verses to allow me to gather my thoughts, which I edited down after recording.
yes I find that when I'm spending some time on reading the poem thoroughly before I record, then I'm much better at emphasizing the right spots. It takes a bit of preliminary work but the end result is so much more rewarding then.

This poem sounds really good :thumbs: And the gaps in between the stanzas are also helpful for listeners to gather their thoughts, as you so aptly put it. I wouldn't cut them down too short. Yours were good here.

PL ok now.

Oh and nearly forgot: Sections 20, 23 and 27 are also PL ok.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yes thank you, now it works at a bit over 89 dB :thumbs: So did you manage with the replaygain ?

Both PL ok now

Sonia
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

I tried installing ReplayGain but it didnt work, sadly.