COMPLET The May Flower and Misc. Writings by H. B. Stowe -ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote:Section 40 is PL OK. A very interesting story, Larry.

For example, I didn't realize the Puritans were once held in such disrepute for their narrow-mindedness, and that some wanted their memory destroyed despite their being part of America's history. This is reminiscent of what is going on in the South today, with Civil War monuments being not only removed from public view, but torn down and taken to junk yards -- not to historical museums where they belong. Apparently, human nature does not change much over time. :(
Not only were Puritans held in disrepute, they were executed. Outside the Massachusetts Stat House, over looking the Boston Common, is a statue of Mary Dyer who was hanged in the Common simply for being a professed Puritan. She had fled to Rhode Island which had become a safety zone for Puritans, but later returned to Boston as a matter of conscience to proclaim her faith, knowing that she would be imprisoned and could face execution. So much for American having been in a bastion of religious freedom.

Thanks for the PL. I've responded to your PM about 37 and will work on it soon. I also have recording of the poems waiting on my editing "table."
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 11, 12, and 13

11 PL OK

12 PL OK

13:04 repeat "but there, but here"
19:59, you could remove "part 3?", and just end the file "End of Chapter 8."

This is a charming series of sketches, charmingly read, with many a wise thought which I bet came from Harriet's own mind, about how to teach children to enjoy the long devout Puritan Sabbath days.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

THANKS, MICHELE, I'LL CORRECT THIS EVENING. I THOUGHT IT WAS VERY INTERESTING THAT HARRIET WAS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO MAKE RELIGION MORE APPEALING TO CHILDREN. BUT THEN SHE WAS A MINISTER'S WIFE, I THINK.
msfry

Post by msfry »

neecheelok70 wrote:THANKS, MICHELE, I'LL CORRECT THIS EVENING. I THOUGHT IT WAS VERY INTERESTING THAT HARRIET WAS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO MAKE RELIGION MORE APPEALING TO CHILDREN. BUT THEN SHE WAS A MINISTER'S WIFE, I THINK.
Not only was she a minister's wife, married to Rev. Calvin Stowe, but her father was the famous Rev. Lyman Beecher, her younger brother was the even more famous Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, plus all of her other brothers were Calvinist ministers! She was steeped in religion from birth, and both she and her brothers were largely responsible for softening the harshest principles of Calvinism.
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Hi, just to clarify: End of How Do We Know. or End of Chapter# then How Do We Know. It looks like both #/title are included at end of recording on instructions for reading. I will say" End of" once.
Signature: KATHLEEN
msfry

Post by msfry »

2839reader wrote:Hi, just to clarify: End of How Do We Know. or End of Chapter# then How Do We Know. It looks like both #/title are included at end of recording on instructions for reading. I will say" End of" once.
I'd say: End of Chapter 16, How Do We Know
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

OK thanks Michele.
Signature: KATHLEEN
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

HERE IS MY CORRECTED VERSION OF SECTION 13--THE THIRD SABBATH:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/mayflowermiscwritings_13_hbstowe_128kb.mp3 18.80 KB

THE LENGTH IS 20:03.

JIM
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 13 is PL OK. Thanks, Jim
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

THANK YOU, AND HERE IS THAT VERY EMOTIONAL CHAPTER 14:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/mayflowermiscwritings_14_hbstowe_128kb.mp3 44.51 KB

THE LENGTH IS 47:28.

JIM
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

THANKS, MICHELE, FOR THE INFO ON OUR GIRL. JIM
msfry

Post by msfry »

neecheelok70 wrote:THANKS, MICHELE, FOR THE INFO ON OUR GIRL. JIM
FYI, I just completed a solo on our girl, "Life Of Harriet Beecher Stowe", a fascinating account of her life, family and literary career.
https://librivox.org/life-of-harriet-beecher-stowe-compiled-from-her-letters-and-journals-by-charles-edward-stowe/

Also just completed a group project, Palmetto Leaves, charming vignettes she wrote about her retirement years in Florida.
https://librivox.org/palmetto-leaves-by-harriet-beecher-stowe/

You might say I am on a Stowe Roll. I'm not done yet. She is wonderful to read. Feel free to claim more chapters. :D
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I'll check those. I had seen the Palmetto somewhere. Yeah., I like her style, but she does tend to make me cry, which can make recording difficult at times. I had been looking at sections 8 and 9, if you will sign me up for those. I'll probably do more, but I have some hefty solos going on, so I am signing up more slowly at the moment. Jim
msfry

Post by msfry »

neecheelok70 wrote:I'll check those. I had seen the Palmetto somewhere. Yeah., I like her style, but she does tend to make me cry, which can make recording difficult at times. I had been looking at sections 8 and 9, if you will sign me up for those. I'll probably do more, but I have some hefty solos going on, so I am signing up more slowly at the moment. Jim
Ok you are signed up, but I see you do have 4 sections claimed 4/14 (approaching the 2 month deadline), that await your attention. So don't feel obliged to overload yourself.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks For telling me about that I'll try to take care of those this evening. But I can do the others as well eventually. By the way, I have already done the long one so I'll just have the three shorter ones to do