Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hi Toya, welcome to LibriVox!

I see this is your first recording!

You have such a lovely voice that is perfect for these poems, and you read the poem wonderfully ... word perfect and your inflection and pacing were very nice.

Before I can mark this as PL OK, there are some technical things that need to be fixed first and re-uploaded.

Your beginning silence is 3 seconds long. This should be between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds. All you need to do is go into the file Audacity and highlight the first 2.5 seconds and delete them.

Your ending silence is 15 seconds long and this should be just 5.0 seconds. As above, just go into the file and highlight the last 10 seconds and delete them.

There is a lot of background noise that is probably your microphone set-up. It is that noise you hear that goes something like "fffffff" or "hhhhhhhh". Audacity has very simple noise cleaning and it would make this sound so much more wonderful.

Simply have the file open in Audacity and Select the last 5 seconds of your track which is just pure background noise, then go up to “Effects”, then “Noise Reduction” and under Step 1, click “Get Noise Profile”. Then do a Ctrl +A to select the entire track, go back up to “Effects”, then “Noise Reduction” and under Step 2, set each of the three slider bars(normally) to maybe “6“. (You can play with these, but I’ve found between 5 and 8 works pretty well for noise reduction.)

Since the noise here is pretty loud, I had to set the first slider bar to 12 to get rif of your noise and not impact your voice, so you could try that.

- Then click OK, re-save it and upload again!

Thanks!

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Yeah! .... two perfect poems!

These are both PL OK.

I can tell you are getting more comfortable with these - nice readings.

Nemo
Nemo

SuddenlyPuppies

Post by SuddenlyPuppies »

NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Katherine,

Welcome to LibriVox - thanks for these!

I am going to mark these both as PL OK, but just a few comments for future recordings (which I hope there will be many of!)

The ending silence on section 66 was just over 3 seconds and we would like this to be closer to 5 seconds. #72 was perfect!

The background noise on these is noticeable - #72, much more than #66 which wasn't too bad.

They both would be even nicer with a little noise reduction ... something to think about for future recordings. I know that finding a quiet place to record is the largest challenge that peeps have! Number 72 has a bit of traffic noise in it. If you listen to your last 5 seconds you can really here what I am referring to.

Noise cleaning is super easy in Audacity!

Select the last 5 seconds of your track which is just pure background noise, then go up to “Effects”, then “Noise Reduction” and under Step 1, click “Get Noise Profile”. Then do a Ctrl +A to select the entire track, go back up to “Effects”, then “Noise Reduction” and under Step 2, set each of the three slider bars to maybe “6“. (You can play with these, but I’ve found between 5 and 10 on the first slider bar works pretty well for noise reduction.) - Then click OK

You have a very nice reading style for poetry and I hope you do more! ..... just relax into it, take your time and have fun!!!!

Nemo
Nemo

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all :thumbs:

Just to add, we also have a tutorial with pictures for noise-cleaning, if that helps, http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_Tutorials :)
Carolin
SuddenlyPuppies

Post by SuddenlyPuppies »

Thanks for the tip! I ran noise reduction at 10% intensity twice in Audition, but I'll try being more aggressive with it and seeing if there's anything I can do to make the room quieter. Living in NYC makes reducing traffic noise a definite challenge!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we have orphans!
Carolin
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is a fresh recording of Salt of the Earth:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poems_01_howard_128kb.mp3 2:52
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
NemoR

Post by NemoR »