COMPLETE[POETRY]Cowboy Songs & Other- John Lomax-a

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

kwpapke wrote:
Nice emoting on the "oh's" toward the end. At 3:22 you say "unfurl" instead of "unfurled". Whaddya think? I wouldn't have bothered bringing it up, tense isn't important here, but it kinda messes with the rhyme with "world" on the next line. :hmm:
Perfect. You are really good at accents, I wouldn't have guessed the two poems were read by the same person. PL OK :thumbs:

Both files pass Checker for format and volume.

--Kurt
Nice catch, thanks so much, Kurt! I definitely like having poems match the text as much as possible so I uploaded a corrected file, same name, same length of course.

I hope you can go ahead and DPL this project!
Scotty
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

iBeScotty wrote:
kwpapke wrote:
Nice emoting on the "oh's" toward the end. At 3:22 you say "unfurl" instead of "unfurled". Whaddya think? I wouldn't have bothered bringing it up, tense isn't important here, but it kinda messes with the rhyme with "world" on the next line. :hmm:
Perfect. You are really good at accents, I wouldn't have guessed the two poems were read by the same person. PL OK :thumbs:

Both files pass Checker for format and volume.

--Kurt
Nice catch, thanks so much, Kurt! I definitely like having poems match the text as much as possible so I uploaded a corrected file, same name, same length of course.

I hope you can go ahead and DPL this project!
Perfect. Section 18 is PL OK! :clap:

--Kurt
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

NathanTroyer wrote:How do I get to the book to read it? Last time I did a recording the mc sent me a link, is there a way I can find it on my own?
Most everything you need is in the initial post of the thread with instructions before and after the Magic Window. Line 4 will always have a link to the text for the project. (It is usually a good practice to look at the section you want to read before claiming, just so there won't be any surprises)

With some projects, such as plays or dramatic readings, there may be another link to specially prepared texts, but that will also be clearly indicated in that opening post.

Then below the magic window you will find more instructions and the format for naming the files for the particular project and the MC for submitting files.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for your PL, Kurt.
Just let me know if you'd like to be added as official DPL for this project.
I've got a couple more long days, so I've updated the MW and will PL your sections as soon as I can.

And thanks again to you, Scotty, for lending your talent to this project. Feel free to read as much as you like 8-)
~ Larry
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Thanks, Larry, don't mind if I do. There are so many, it's difficult to choose; may I try the following 5:
Scotty
NathanTroyer

Post by NathanTroyer »

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/cowboysongs_033_lomax_128kb.mp3
length is 2:10 minutes. Not sure if the quality of this recording is going to be good enough :|
Thanks!!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

iBeScotty wrote:Thanks, Larry, don't mind if I do. There are so many, it's difficult to choose; may I try the following 5:
Yippee, kayay!

MW updated :thumbs:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

NathanTroyer wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/cowboysongs_033_lomax_128kb.mp3
length is 2:10 minutes. Not sure if the quality of this recording is going to be good enough :|
Thanks!!
Thanks, Nathan!

Just a couple of technical and procedural issues.

First the volume is too low. I thought this was sorted out in your test recording. Anyway, the LibriVox target volume is 89 dB with a range of 86-92 dB. Yours measures 83.7 by our Checker program, but also apparent just from the wave form. You might want to review our material on volume. You will find a link in the Wiki to the Checker program which is very valuable since Audacity doesn't give an actual decibel reading. I also use the RealGain plugin for Audacity which saves me a ton of time. (When I finish editing, I just run RealGain, then use the amplify feature in Audacity to adjust it

In this case, you will need to amplify the entire file by 5 dB.

Second, the end of the book outro does not belong; it is for only the very last poem in the book. While you are welcome to add the place and date in your intro, it is, by custom, almost never done in works of short poems because it is just too much for the listener, but that is still your privilege.

The audio quality itself is not the best, probably just poor quality microphone, but certainly acceptable.

The only thing you really need to do is amplify and trim the outro and you'll be fine. Post a note here with your new run time.

There's a learning curve here, but you'll do fine. I am still learning stuff, so we're all in the journey together.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

Both of these pass the Checker with proper volume levels. No issues with the reading.

Both are PL OK! :thumbs:

--Kurt
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kwpapke wrote:
Both of these pass the Checker with proper volume levels. No issues with the reading.

Both are PL OK! :thumbs:

--Kurt
Thanks for the PL
I'll have yours done shortly.
~ Larry
ReneeGade

Post by ReneeGade »

I'd like sections 39 & 40. This will be my first LibraVox submission, my pen is Renee Gade
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ReneeGade wrote:I'd like sections 39 & 40. This will be my first LibraVox submission, my pen is Renee Gade
I've assigned these sections to you, but as I noted on your other claim .....

BEFORE recording, however, would you please submit your one-minute test and have it approved? Just click on the Newbie Guide to Recording under point 2 in the initial post on this thread and then follow the link under Preliminary Test to get the instructions for this. It is important to do this to make sure all of the technical set up is correct.

Looking forward to hearing your reading!

Welcome to LibriVox
~ Larry
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

All five pass the Checker with proper volume levels, and have 5.5 s of silence at the end.

22: nice job on the "coma ti y" - I was afraid to tackle this one!
23: nice accents
31: At 2:03 you say "She seemed so good natured" instead of "She seemed to be good-natured", doesn't change the meaning, so I'd leave it the way you read it, just an FYI.
At 3:20 you say "Here to see no more" instead of "her to see no more". This one is probably worth fixing.
32: At 1:35 "cholla" is pronounced "choya" (I wouldn't have know that before I moved to Tucson ;-)
34: no issues

It's a pleasure and an education in voices to PL your recordings. I can only aspire to what you are able to do.

Summary: 22, 23, 32, 34 are PL OK :thumbs:
Section 31 needs a tweak or two.
I'll leave it to your discretion whether to change the pronunciation of Cholla in section 32. I know you like to do things right. All I can say is I live on La Cholla boulevard, and only my Garmin GPS pronounces the "L" :lol:

--Kurt