[Complete] The Mentor 2 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

queenk8 wrote: February 1st, 2018, 10:49 pm Chapters 25 and 26 are ready for PL.
I broke the reading at the end of the section on Stewart Edward White, which seemed a natural break since the main title started up all over again. I also repeated the serial number, edition, etc. for the Part 2, because it made sense to me. This was a dangerous chapter! I now have a list of authors and books that surely are in the public domain, that I'm eager to read - in fact, I've already launched a solo project for one of the books mentioned herein. Now if we could just track down the edition with the Makers of Modern American Fiction (women), I think I'd have a lifetime of projects ahead!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mentor2_25_various_128kb.mp3
Tie is 37:27
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mentor2_26_various_128kb.mp3
Time is 33:11
Sounds good. I found one of my favorite authors in a chapter I read once in a work on women authors 8-)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The Makers of American Fiction 25 and 26 PL OK... great job! In a couple of places I could hear something in the background but as it wasn't distracting, I'm not bothered about it.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Lynnet wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 5:55 pm The Makers of American Fiction 25 and 26 PL OK... great job! In a couple of places I could hear something in the background but as it wasn't distracting, I'm not bothered about it.
Thanks - I'm having to watch outside noise more and more and sometimes don't catch it as it's happening. I'm between 2 airports, train tracks, and the freeway (on top of the standard neighborhood noise), and one airport has now opened to commercial traffic. That might have been a 747.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
Esmina

Post by Esmina »

Hello

I'm new and waiting on my 1 minute test to be approved, but once done, may I please do part 24 - Famous English Poets.

Thank you!

Adele aka Esmina
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Esmina wrote: March 11th, 2018, 3:05 pm Hello

I'm new and waiting on my 1 minute test to be approved, but once done, may I please do part 24 - Famous English Poets.

Thank you!

Adele aka Esmina
Welcome to Librivox!
I will enter you in the catalog and sign you up. Please note that for this project, you click on the link in the notes section and the text is in a google doc.
spunkyt

Post by spunkyt »

Hi Lynnet,

Can I sign up for section 16?

Thank you!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

spunkyt wrote: March 12th, 2018, 4:35 am Hi Lynnet,

Can I sign up for section 16?

Thank you!
Thank you for claiming. I will add you to the catalog and assign that section. Please be sure to read the first post and note the text is in a Google doc, linked in the notes section. Please ask if you have questions.
Esmina

Post by Esmina »

Ok, first reading done.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mentor2_24_various_128kb.mp3.mp3

As this is my very first one, any constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

I have realised that buses and aircraft going by are making a fair bit of sound. I think I have cleaned it up so that these are no longer heard.
Also I am not 100% about the decibels but think they are in the correct range.

Thank you!

Adele
The more humans I meet, the more I love my dogs.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Esmina wrote: March 15th, 2018, 2:26 am Ok, first reading done.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mentor2_24_various_128kb.mp3.mp3

As this is my very first one, any constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

I have realised that buses and aircraft going by are making a fair bit of sound. I think I have cleaned it up so that these are no longer heard.
Also I am not 100% about the decibels but think they are in the correct range.

Thank you!

Adele
Thank you. How long is the file please?
Esmina

Post by Esmina »

Sorry!
Chapter 24 is 43'57"
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Esmina wrote: March 15th, 2018, 12:33 pm Sorry!
Chapter 24 is 43'57"
:thumbs: I hope to proof listen later today.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Famous English Poets PL notes.

Your reading was beautifully clear and well-moderated and all your technical specs were good :clap: The volume is 88.3dB (we have a goal of 89, with 86-92 being acceptable; so you're right in there).

As you ask, I did notice a couple of things you might want to watch. These are not things we would normally comment on, and don't need fixing.
1. I heard a few mic bumps (or it could have been kicking the desk etc.). These don't affect the clarity of your recording. If they occur between words, you could edit them out, but where they are within the actual reading, they are a pain to edit and as everything is clear, I wouldn't bother. Just be aware in future recordings,
2. You sounded a bit breathless in places. This could have been nerves as it was your first recording (been there, done that 8-) ) or it could have been you were reading too long sentences without breathing (again, my problem... I usually have to go back an re-read the end of sentences when I've run out of breath). I could say something like 'get theatrical training for breath control' -- which no doubt would help, but as I'm not doing that, I'm not going to tell you to :lol:
3. I could hear the buses a couple of times, but again, don't worry. It didn't detract from the recording.
4. At the end, you say "End of Chapter". Although this is OK, the correct thing would be to have said "End of Chapter 24". No need to change it though.
Esmina

Post by Esmina »

Hello Lynnet,

Thank you for your feedback.
Yes I do get a bit breathless. Who thought writing long sentences was a good idea?!
I will work on those items you mentioned, and hopefully the recordings will improve with time.
automatonlexicon

Post by automatonlexicon »

May I have section 12? :)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

automatonlexicon wrote: March 30th, 2018, 2:17 pm May I have section 12? :)
Thank you for claiming.