[OPEN] Essays Collection #02 - rap

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
msfry

Post by msfry »

Essays Collection #02, by Various
Here are 20 essays by various authors, covering all kinds of subjects. Some are famous, others are gems ferreted out from chapters or passages in books where they have lain hidden for decades. Britannica defines an essay as "an analytic, interpretive, or critical literary composition usually much shorter and less systematic and formal than a dissertation or thesis and usually dealing with its subjects from a limited and often personal point of view." In short, an essay is neither fiction nor a short story, but a composition designed to educate/persuade more than entertain or inform, though essays sometimes do both, or neither. (Summary by Michele Fry, BC/DPL)
Where to find public domain essays? LV has numerous books containing essays by various authors (search "essays" from the home page), any of which could be a great source of specific titles that appeal to you.
  1. There is no need to preclaim. Just record and submit an essay under 70 minutes in length, with the requested information (see green text below).
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Once your essay is submitted, please be on the lookout for your Proof Listeners notes, which if changes are required must be attended to for your story to be included in the catalog.
    If this is your first recording, please let the BC (msfry) know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Level of prooflistening: special (I will follow along with the text and notate significant discrepancies.)
    Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ for the various levels used!

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ========================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works
    Keywords that describe the book: leave visible for filling in later
    ========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
    Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
    Title by Author, published YYYY, read/recorded for Essays Collection Volume 2 (by your name, location, date, etc. if desired), followed by "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    "Title, then read the essay"
    OUTRO (end of recording)

Say:
    End of Title, by Author
    [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
    Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: essays2_title_authorslastname_readersinitials_128kb and save as an mp3
    (e.g. essays2_excisetax_paine_mtf_128kb.mp3)
    PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS FILE NAME, AS IT MUST ENTER THE CATALOG EXACTLY IN THE FORM SHOWN. This will save our team a lot of work fixing misnamed files.

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). (e.g. essays2_excisetax_paine_mtf_128kb.mp3 12:42
    Plus:
    Title
    Link to the text you read from
    Author's name

Posting to a thread “subscribes” you to the project until you “unsubscribe”. Watch this thread for prooflistening notes, either via email notification or see “notifications” in upper right corner of the page.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
    The team:
    BC/DPL: Michele Fry (msfry)
    MC: Rapunzelina
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We have a Magic Window!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 20th, 2024, 10:30 am We have a Magic Window!
Fantastic-O! :D
Now we wait and see what comes in. It's a lot like fishing--you never know what you're going to catch.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Moved to Readers Wanted! 🎣
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Here is an essay on the what is the best way to approach physical health:

Physical Culture by Margaret Warner Morley
file: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays2_physicalculture_morley_es_128kb.mp3 (33:52)
text: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011269963
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
msfry

Post by msfry »

Physical Culture is PL OK. Thank you, Elsie. This essay does what it is supposed to do -- get a rise out of the reader. It did that to me, as follows:

Being as I love to cook and eat, have never had a Barbie physique, have never enjoyed any exercise other than swimming, walking and gardening, dislike the gym and participating in competitive sports, I felt the cultural noose tightening around my neck as I listened to Ms. Morley's recommendations. Enough judgment already! She didn't mention "line dancing", which I like and is lots of fun and expends lots of energy -- probably didn't exist in her day. Good posture must be trained, of course, and should be done in school. But convincing children they can never attain health if they were conceived of unhealthy parents is a enormous rock to hang around their necks. I have to disapprove of it for that reason, plus I doubt it is entirely true. My mother had a list of ailments since WWII (digestive and otherwise) that have never afflicted me. I do approve of the loose-fitting clothing bit, dressing for comfort if you want to, preferably outfits with pockets big enough so I don't have to tote a purse around and keep one hand useless for anything but grasping my phone. :lol:
msfry

Post by msfry »

NEWS BULLETIN:
Essays Collection #1 has already garnered 8.3K views on IA since cataloging 2 weeks ago on March 21st. Looks like it's proving to be popular! That makes me proud and happy. :D
https://archive.org/details/essays01_2403_librivox