Weekly/Fortnightly Poetry Suggestions

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

Here’s a small little one that might be fun to do sometime. I don’t think it’s in the catalog, either!

SPRING-SONG by Samuel McCoy
Early some morning in May-time
I shall awaken
When the breeze blowing in at the window
Shall bathe me
With the delicate scents
Of the blossoms of apples,
Filling my room with their coolness
And beauty and fragrance—
As of old, as of old,
When your spirit dwelt with me,
My heart shall be pure
As the heart that you gave me.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43224
Josh Kibbey
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

KIBBONAFIDE wrote: April 4th, 2019, 9:21 am Thank you for your confidence in me, too! I haven’t really delved into PLing yet so doing something like this would be a good way to get into it, I think. :D
Oh yes, that seems like a great way to start! And maybe you'll find yourself interested, I think it's a ton of fun :D!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
K8Sewell

Post by K8Sewell »

If this isn't how it's done please feel welcome to let me know. These are my first recordings after my test minute recording was approved and I wasn't quite sure how to find a collection of poetry that these could be added to. They are both by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu and were published in early 1700s. If anyone knows of any poetry collections that need more contributions or the best way to find that I'm happy to take direction. Appreciate your help! Next time I'll follow the "readers wanted" forum and make sure they have a home before I get started. Thank you!

They are both only about 5 minutes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/the-lover.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/epistle.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, KB.
You can always submit individual poems to an ongoing Short Poetry Collection (one starts every month).
You will find it listed in our Readers Wanted Short Works Forum. The current one is here.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=74466

Just follow instructions in the Opening Post (OP) for what to say for Intro and Outro, how and where to upload. I look forward to listening to these collections myself, and occasionally make a contribution.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I'd like to BC this fortnightly whenever an opportunity presents itself.
I will get help in organizing the project.

Shakespeare Sonnet 29

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Link: http://www.shakespeares-sonnets.com/sonnet/29
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Bill, you can set it up Sonnet 29 ASAP to run for the rest of this week and next if you wish. :wink:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thanks Bill, could you post this project New Projects please, I will get the MW later today, we are on out way out.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

aradlaw wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 10:50 am Thanks Bill, could you post this project New Projects please, I will get the MW later today, we are on out way out.
I split it off and put it in the Launch pad. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 11:00 am
aradlaw wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 10:50 am Thanks Bill, could you post this project New Projects please, I will get the MW later today, we are on out way out.
I split it off and put it in the Launch pad. :)
Taking David's advice literally, I posted the Template Generator's output to the New Projects thread as a message.
Advice??
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 11:03 am
Taking David's advice literally, I posted the Template Generator's output to the Fortnightly Poem thread as a message.
Advice??
Hi, Bill. Glad to see you doing this. I just sent you a step by step procedural message. If you'd like to assign me as DPL, I can also coach you how to fill in the MW. It's a bit different from a regular project.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Easy enough - I deleted the one I moved, so there's only one in the Launch Pad. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 11:07 am Easy enough - I deleted the one I moved, so there's only one in the Launch Pad. :)
Many thanks!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Tricia, David, Anyone,

Please give me feedback on whether this Fortnightly Poem project is actually on its way?

After the Template Generator said (at the top of page) "... at bottom of page" I have been at sea. The template generator page did not allow a cursor insertion. I didn't/don't know WHICH PAGE should be the recipient of the generated info.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 11:35 am Tricia, David, Anyone,

Please give me feedback on whether this Fortnightly Poem project is actually on its way?

After the Template Generator said (at the top of page) "... at bottom of page" I have been at sea. The template generator page did not allow a cursor insertion. I didn't/don't know WHICH PAGE should be the recipient of the generated info.
I suppose I can answer to "Anyone", as well as anyone else.

Sorry you are having trouble. I sent you a message detailing the steps, which I have learned myself only a few short months ago. Did you not get it? No matter, I will repeat them here.

So after you finish filling in the template generator, you hit NEXT at the bottom,
Copy that code and go to the New Projects Launch Project/New Topic/

Paste the code in.

Now you will see
Paste Poem Here. Paste in the poem.

Toward the bottom you will see instructions where people are to upload the poem, replace XX XXXX with aradlaw

Where it says the date and time, put May 5th (That’s 2 weeks from last Sunday)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 11:49 am
williamjones wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 11:35 am Tricia, David, Anyone,

I suppose I can answer to "Anyone", as well as anyone else.

Sorry you are having trouble. I sent you a message detailing the steps, which I have learned myself only a few short months ago. Did you not get it? No matter, I will repeat them here.

So after you finish filling in the template generator, you hit NEXT at the bottom,
Copy that code and go to the New Projects Launch Project/New Topic/

Paste the code in.

Now you will see
Paste Poem Here. Paste in the poem.

Toward the bottom you will see instructions where people are to upload the poem, replace XX XXXX with aradlaw

Where it says the date and time, put May 5th (That’s 2 weeks from last Sunday)
A Ha!! "New Projects Launch Project / New Topic the bottom of THAT page! Thank you Michele.
At this point I'm not sure whether I ended up doing that or not.
I'll go back to the forums and see what the situation is.
I'm a little addle-brained these days. So, Thanks again.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison