LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 18th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next

Post Posted:: February 12th, 2017, 2:37 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

so here is my first contribution for this project. Larry, do you really want us to omit the writer of the poem in the intro disclaimer ? It sounded so short to me to just say "In memoriam read by Sonia".

Out of curiosity I check up on all the new stuff I don't know yet, animals, locations, etc. Here it was the Zuurberg Hill. Interestingly I thought it would mean "Southern Hill" but apparently it means "Sour Hill". Well, my Dutch is not too great as you can see LOL

I also wanted to find out about the Reverend Templeton, but unfortunately Wikipedia didn't have him in the database. He probably died too young. :(

I hope I pronounced Zuurberg right... luckily we have a DPL who is from the area, so Kim, if I ever totally mess up a pronunciation from South African place names, please tell me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_113_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1;19 min.

Sonia

Post Posted:: February 12th, 2017, 10:07 am 

Kitty wrote:
so here is my first contribution for this project. Larry, do you really want us to omit the writer of the poem in the intro disclaimer ? It sounded so short to me to just say "In memoriam read by Sonia".
Sonia

You raise a good point, Sonia! My original thought was just to read the poems as is, with the author at the end. But, I think I agree with you, that it would be better in the intro, maybe repeated at the end if it is there. So, I'll look these over again and make changes if necessary. Thanks so much for your insights. :thumbs:

Yes, we are fortunate to have Kim as DPL :clap:

Selections from the Table Talk of Martin Luther
[POETRY] Challenge by Louis Untermeyer
Ceres’ Runaway & Other Essays by Alice Meynell
The Poetry of South Africa
Cowboy Songs and Other Frontier Ballads by John Lomax

Post Posted:: February 12th, 2017, 11:31 pm 

Kitty wrote:

Out of curiosity I check up on all the new stuff I don't know yet, animals, locations, etc. Here it was the Zuurberg Hill. Interestingly I thought it would mean "Southern Hill" but apparently it means "Sour Hill". Well, my Dutch is not too great as you can see LOL

I also wanted to find out about the Reverend Templeton, but unfortunately Wikipedia didn't have him in the database. He probably died too young. :(

I hope I pronounced Zuurberg right... luckily we have a DPL who is from the area, so Kim, if I ever totally mess up a pronunciation from South African place names, please tell me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_113_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1;19 min.

Sonia

Hi

PL OK. You got the place names fine :)
There are 2 In Memoriam poems - I would suggest updating the title in the MW to indicate which is which.

I agree with Sonia on the introduction - and was something that I wondered about when listening to the other 2 poems that have been done.

Kim

Post Posted:: February 12th, 2017, 11:52 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

carteki wrote:
I agree with Sonia on the introduction - and was something that I wondered about when listening to the other 2 poems that have been done.

well, I'll wait for Larry's decision, it will only be a matter of one minute to re-do the intro and re-upload. No problem for me. Just tell me. Luckily we are not too far gone into the project yet.

Sonia

Post Posted:: February 14th, 2017, 9:17 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

well here is another one, still with the short intro. As long as I don't hear otherwise, I'll do them like that.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_114_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:43 min.

Sonia

Post Posted:: February 14th, 2017, 10:41 am 

Kitty wrote:
carteki wrote:

well, I'll wait for Larry's decision, it will only be a matter of one minute to re-do the intro and re-upload. No problem for me. Just tell me. Luckily we are not too far gone into the project yet.

Sonia

I agree with you both. I'll try to make the changes in the instructions this evening.

Post Posted:: February 14th, 2017, 10:44 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

silverquill wrote:
I agree with you both. I'll try to make the changes in the instructions this evening.

ok then I'll reupload my two poems with the correct intro

Sonia

Post Posted:: February 17th, 2017, 8:49 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

all right, I have re-uploaded both poems, with the new intro "[Title] by William Selwyn, read for LV...". The rest is the same as before, and does not need to be PL checked again. :)

Recording time: 1:20 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_114_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:45 min.

Sonia

Post Posted:: February 17th, 2017, 1:48 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

here is the Ox-Wagon, a bit of old time nostalgia :9:

newly learnt word: biltong. Is it any good, Kim ?

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_115_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:58 min.

Sonia

Post Posted:: February 18th, 2017, 12:09 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

this is a wonderful hymn to Cape Hope. Kim, if you live there, it will probably swell your heart with pride. I loved it. :9:

Had a bit of a moment while researching Amakosa. I was thinking it maybe was a tree ("Amakosa tall") LOL then wikipedia only gave me a type of butterfly :? finally googling it I noticed it was a different spelling for the Xhosa tribe...mystery solved. Makes more sense than a butterfly in this context LOL

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_116_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:01 min.

Sonia

Post Posted:: February 23rd, 2017, 4:47 pm 

I would like to claim section 1, The Emigrants.

Post Posted:: February 23rd, 2017, 6:33 pm 

I'd like to read #106 Welcome #37 A Night Thought #56 Farewell to Madeira

Post Posted:: February 24th, 2017, 1:43 pm 

lynn0301 wrote:
I would like to claim section 1, The Emigrants.

You are certainly welcome to read this section for us, but first you must record your one-minute test and have it approved. The link for this is in your welcome message. Then post again on this forum and let me know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. Many of us use our real names, but you may use your forum name or other pseudonym if you wish.

Post Posted:: February 24th, 2017, 1:43 pm 

TrudiBvoice wrote:
I'd like to read #106 Welcome #37 A Night Thought #56 Farewell to Madeira

You are certainly welcome to read these sections for us, but first you must record your one-minute test and have it approved. The link for this is in your welcome message. Then post again on this forum and let me know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. Many of us use our real names, but you may use your forum name or other pseudonym if you wish.

Post Posted:: February 24th, 2017, 2:18 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Larry, did you see that I uploaded my 4 poems ? :hmm: the MW is not update yet

Sonia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next