[COMPLETE] Why do we need a public library? by Various -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

If this project stalls out for any reason, I'll be glad to help finish recording, spiffing up files, etc. Just let me know.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

kathrinee wrote:I love that libraries have this function :D
Yes, so do I! As "a place where neighbors meet", both of my regular library branches have served as social centers all my life. There are kids "hanging out" at the library together after school, retirees who want to get out of the house and find friends to talk to, the weekly presentation by someone from the local history group, people organizing arts and crafts projects, book discussion groups, computer classes, etc ... One way or another, the basement and meeting spaces are always full of activity and chatter. Modern library renovations often include a coffee and snack area, comfortable seats, and places where chatting is encouraged instead of shushed, as well as glassed-wall booths with tables and chairs where study groups can get work done without being distracted by all the coming and going. I like all of these developments. I don't think they take anything away from the library as a repository of books; they just recognize that people who come in looking for a book might also be looking for a safe public space to gather informally.
msfry

Post by msfry »

commonsparrow3 wrote:
kathrinee wrote:I love that libraries have this function :D
Yes, so do I! As "a place where neighbors meet", both of my regular library branches have served as social centers all my life. There are kids "hanging out" at the library together after school, retirees who want to get out of the house and find friends to talk to, the weekly presentation by someone from the local history group, people organizing arts and crafts projects, book discussion groups, computer classes, etc ... One way or another, the basement and meeting spaces are always full of activity and chatter. Modern library renovations often include a coffee and snack area, comfortable seats, and places where chatting is encouraged instead of shushed, as well as glassed-wall booths with tables and chairs where study groups can get work done without being distracted by all the coming and going. I like all of these developments. I don't think they take anything away from the library as a repository of books; they just recognize that people who come in looking for a book might also be looking for a safe public space to gather informally.
3 of my clubs have been meeting at the library monthly for years. It's a wonderful service, and draws many people into the library where they browse before and after the meetings, check out and return books on a regular basis. I've been suggesting that our little branch libraries provide a "coffee shop" type spot with vending machines for coffee and snacks, where people could sit quietly and read. Their argument has been that public libraries should not compete with Barnes & Nobles. Heck, I'd be happy to bring my own coffee and brown bag lunch into a designated area from time to time, maybe overlooking the woods or the lake, for a little peace and quiet surrounded by books. On the other hand, I bet there is a concern for sullying the books up with food or spilled liquids.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

msfry wrote:If this project stalls out for any reason, I'll be glad to help finish recording, spiffing up files, etc. Just let me know.
Thanks. I'll give them a week or two to respond. Also depends on how badly Irma affects my county :( .
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
msfry

Post by msfry »

VfkaBT wrote: Also depends on how badly Irma affects my county :( .
I have close friends and family in south Florida, both east and west coast. I'll be watching it closely. Best wishes are coming your way. :D
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Thanks. Reader of Wisdom is bowing out but Colleen said she'll get right on it.

Irma set to hit my area by Sunday evening :evil: More ticked-off than anything. Endless waiting. I may not be back on here for awhile so... Ms. Fry, if you want to take over the last lap, that would be cool. 8-)
msfry

Post by msfry »

VfkaBT wrote:Thanks. Reader of Wisdom is bowing out but Colleen said she'll get right on it.

Irma set to hit my area by Sunday evening :evil: More ticked-off than anything. Endless waiting. I may not be back on here for awhile so... Ms. Fry, if you want to take over the last lap, that would be cool. 8-)
For you, will happily commit. I am watching the progress of the storm every minute, and praying for family and friends in the area, and now you.
msfry

Post by msfry »

VfkaBT wrote:Thanks. Reader of Wisdom is bowing out but Colleen said she'll get right on it.

Re-reading this, I am not sure if Colleen or I should record Section 14. The MW hasn't been changed yet, so I won't begin unless I hear back.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Made it through, no damage to house seen (incredibly, with all the trees in my yard) but lost at least two palm trees and many branches. Electricity and cable on okay. Neighbors not so lucky, but they're wasting generator energy on a/c -- I never use it myself. Still windy here.

Colleen said she'd do her piece but the other two have had to pass. I've adjusted the MW accordingly. Thank you, Michelle.
msfry

Post by msfry »

VfkaBT wrote:I've adjusted the MW accordingly. Thank you, Michelle.
I don't see myself subscribed to anything in the MW so I am confused. :?
Glad you made it through the storm.
P.S. Only one 'l' in Michele.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi! I had a couple days of craziness here in Atlanta myself, with first having friends of ours evacuating from Savannah to host, and then all of us experiencing the arrival of Irma as a tropical storm the day before yesterday. We were very fortunate ourselves not to have any damage, but there were lots of trees down all over the place, and a lot of people are still without power.

All of which is to say that I finally got to the Tom Paine piece tonight and have recorded a little less than half of it and holy cow, is it long! I'm at 1 hour and 10 minutes of recording (though that includes long pauses here and there that will be cut out, but it is definitely over an hour at this point, so I'm wondering if I should break it into two parts or do one long piece?

I had to break off for the night but I will do my best to finish this up tomorrow and get it listened to and edited and out to you by the weekend at the latest. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, literally, these days!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

I understand Colleen; I spent this morning picking up broken branches and piling them in a corner of my front yard about 4 feet high -- and that's just from the front lawn!

Yes, you can split the Paine piece in two, thanks!
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

msfry wrote:
VfkaBT wrote:I've adjusted the MW accordingly. Thank you, Michelle.
I don't see myself subscribed to anything in the MW so I am confused. :?
Glad you made it through the storm.
P.S. Only one 'l' in Michele.
Okay, Michele, I assigned 14 and 22 to you. Thjanks.
msfry

Post by msfry »

VfkaBT wrote:I understand Colleen; I spent this morning picking up broken branches and piling them in a corner of my front yard about 4 feet high -- and that's just from the front lawn!

Yes, you can split the Paine piece in two, thanks!
If the Paine piece is split in to, doesn't that mean all the succeeding section numbers will shift down by one? So my 14 becomes 15 and my 22 become 23, etc.

EDIT: Or do you take the one immediately under Paine and move it to the bottom? Just wondering how this works.
Last edited by msfry on September 14th, 2017, 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote:Yes it does - and it means that all thintro as outro would be wrong. Let me look if it's possible to do some smart rearranging

Anne
See my edit above, which could be a way easier solution.