Jumping in for some proof listening

Section 95 still has one repeat
3.25 furnishings, olive doeth pour

Thank you!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Section 96 is now pl ok :)

Pasting in bits of recording later on can be challenging. If i may share what i learned, it is better to paste in a line or two than individual words. That way the change in yone becomes less noticeable :) thank you!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Section 104 is pl ok :thumbs:

I might havd more time later today for a couple more sections.
Carolin
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

simonettix wrote:Hello! I have uploaded the recording for LYCUS THE CENTAUR - section 7 (duration 27:22). Here is the link:
http://uploads.librivox.org/carolin/poeticalworks_007_hood_128kb.mp3
Looking forward for the feedback,
Best regards,
Simona
PL OK!
Quite a piece to read, but you did it so well. :thumbs:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PatrickLondon wrote:129: Our Village

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poeticalworks_129_hood_128kb.mp3

Length: 4:58

(My "s" sounds seem to be getting more sibilant, despite the De-Esser plug-in - hope they're not too annoying)
How delightfully read! I especially enjoyed your lists. :)
Did not find the sibilants distressing.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Very lovely. Just one small repeat at: 1:26 And then you drink wine off
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynda, here are the PL notes for Section 97:

SECTION 97
1:28 Text: John-a-nokes­ (to rhyme with "hoax" thre lines later. ) I hear "nooks"
2:06 The name is three syllables - Jun-i-us I hear just Junus
2:12 Text: "yet no talisman!" (Threes syllables tal--is-man) I hear "tails-man" a different word.
2:26 Text: "A private -­ of no corps" -- the "s" should be silent on "corps." I hear "corpse" an entirely different word and meaning.
3:37 Text: " head or tail of it; " I hear " head of tail of it; "
4:07 Text: "wherever it is bred " I hear: "whenever it is bred "
5:15 Text: "Thou" I hear "though"
7:13 Text: "Of Robin Hood's tough bow " This is bow, (rhymes with "know" as in "bow and arrow" I heard "bow'" rhyming with "how"
7:43 Text: "That slew the Gauger " There is a hesitation, then misreading of "Gauger" which should rhyme with "Major" in the next line.
7:49 Text: "And Merrilies " this word has three syllables merr-i-lies; I hear it as one syllable. Think of "Row, row your boat merrily down the stream."
8:35 Text: "And Dousterwivel " I did not hear the "s" in this name You can check out the pronunciation here: https://www.howtopronounce.com/dousterwivel/
FYI the "ch" in Ochiltree is a "k" sound.
9:46 Text: "Aye" this word rhymes with "eye" - means yes.
10:41 Text: "Montrose" I hear "Monrose" ("t" omitted)
11:06 Text: "Covenanters" I hear, "Conventers"
12:03 Text: "Kenilworth" I hear, "Keniworth " ("l" omitted)
12:07 Text: "Re-Review" I hear just, "review."
12:53 Text: "Buonaparté " The accent indicates the "é" should be pronounced to preserve the rhyme with "Cromarty " above.
13:01 Text: "Guelph" this rhymes with "self" two lines down.
13:16 Text': "Mayhap" I hear "Myhap"
13:18 Text: "Owhyhee" say, "oh - why -hee" (This doesn't affect the rhyme, but you might want to correct it anyway.
14:21 Text: "capacious soul " I hear something like "capecious" unrecognizable as this word. - long "a" accented.
15:20 Text: "thou art some puny Dwarf " I heard "punny" which is a different word. "puny" = long "u'" as in "you"
15:47 Text: "he hides from the world's eye; " I hear "word's eye"
16:23 Text;: "Thou choosest " I hear, "Thou choseth"
16:27 Text: "thou art prudent, " I hear, "thou aren't prudent, " (opposite meaning)
16:29 Text: "puny bone" Again I hear "punny"
16:31 Text: "E'en like" I hear "In like" (E'en is a contraction of "even" so just leave out the "v" and it is a long '"e" sound)
16:37 Text: "revelation of thyself" I hear something like "renevolation"
17:00 Text: "Think of Crachami's miserable span! " Stumble, repeat over "Crachami's" (one pronunciation is here: https://www.howtopronounce.com/crachami/)
18:04 Text: "Old Mortality " I hear, "Old Morality " (Omitting the "t" makes it a

This is why I'm behind PLing your submissions. This took over an hour, maybe two, and I had to finish it after I got home from work this evening. I'm not trying to be overly strict; these are just the ones that are the most noticeable and/or affect the rhyme and meaning. There are a lot of other things that I haven't highlighted thought don't stand out quite as much. Oh, good job and catching nearly all of the "thou's").

I don't know what to suggest. I don't know if you're just not catching these when you edit, if you're not hearing what I'm hearing, or what. But having to highlight 30 errors in an 18-min recording is more than a PL should have to do.

Maybe I'll try some of your shorter pieces next, and see how that goes.
~ Larry
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Carolin wrote:Section 96 is now pl ok :)

Pasting in bits of recording later on can be challenging. If i may share what i learned, it is better to paste in a line or two than individual words. That way the change in yone becomes less noticeable :) thank you!
Carolin can you please expand upon this? I believe this is my recording. It has been fairly long since I did the original edits to it. I sometimes record either a word or string of words depending on what sounds the best. Perhaps this was the one I had to fix a ton of thou's? Please advise.
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynda,

I've listened to Section 117 which I've marked as PL OK despite some minor misreadings that I'd normally flag, like "dangerous" instead of "dangerously." I think you'd agree it makes the sentence not quite make sense grammatically.

Section 118 likewise has some errors, one that really scrambles the authors consistent, though forced, rhyme scheme. But, I'm not posting anymore PL Notes until we get this straightened out.

BTW, if you think my PL is strict, you should see the notes I just got on a group of poems I recorded for another project! But, they're good notes, and I'll be doing some corrections. It's all part of the process. I do think that the standard PL is a little more exact for poetry because rhythm and rhyme are so much a part of what poetry is. A poet chooses his or her words carefully to convey not only the right meaning, but the right nuance, feeling, tone and experience embodied in the language. It is true that what slight, or not so slight, variations in the reading are significant is a judgement call. it appears, however, that we are far apart on what those parameters are. I'm really am on your side, but I want to honor the integrity of the text and the work of the poet.
~ Larry
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Silverquill and Carolin -

I am not ignoring you - just very busy after getting back from being away for 4 weeks. I will get to your feedback in the next couple of days.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all! Pms sent :)
Carolin
kevsners

Post by kevsners »

Hi Carolin!

I haven't read in a while - I would love to claim 157. A Fairy Tale

Best,
Kevin
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Carolin and Larry,
What a great collection of poetry! I've read some Thomas Hood poems before, and they were great. I never knew about this great selection of varietal verses!

I'd love to take some of his comedic poems:
137 - A Lay of Real Life
140 - Agricultural Distress
142 - The Green Man
149 - The Bachelor's Dream

Thank you!
Ealswythe
:D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lmnei wrote:Silverquill and Carolin -

I am not ignoring you - just very busy after getting back from being away for 4 weeks. I will get to your feedback in the next couple of days.
Understood. I recently had a 3-week trip out of the country, and now I will be jammed this month moving to a new residence, something I thought was several months away. And, we are going into overtime mode at my day job (actually it is an evening job) Next two months will be a stretch.

But, we will get through this together.
~ Larry