https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poeticalworks_146_hood_128kb.mp3
Track length: 2:10
PL OK
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lmnei wrote: November 7th, 2017, 8:07 am Carolin -

Section 95 still is listed as needing to be fixed (under PL Notes). I had incorporated the feedback and re-submitted the file on October 5th with Section 96 which has been marked PL-OK. I cannot find any other posts with more feedback for Section 95. Are you aware of anything else that needs to be done before Section 95 is marked PL OK?

Thanks!
Lynda,

Sorry for the delay in getting the PL done. Lot's of life circumstance impinging on my time.
I will admit, though, to having this on the back burning because PLing your sections is so laborious. Even the SPOT PL takes an inordinate amount of time. But, I will make a concerted effort to get these cleared up now so we can move on in this project. I will just have to accept more misreading than I'm comfortable with, I guess, and pick out only the most serious ones. That being said, here are my PL notes for what I have been able to finish tonight.

Section 95

5:10 Text “prostrate” and I gain hear “prostate” which is an anatomical organ, so it sound so out of place. It is unfortunate that these two word are so much alike in the English language. There are some other noticeable errors, but this is the most serious one.

Section 97

Ignoring other mispronounced words, I again consistently heard “Thou” read as “Though” I marked the times below, but then discontinued the PL. This is simply too much for me to do on a Spot PL. If Carolin thinks this variant reading is fine, then I won’t raise the issue again, but to me it ruins the poem

0:25, 0:32, 1:41, 3:18, 3:25, 3:41, 3:53, 3:56, 4:18, 4:28, 4:35, 4:43, 4:47

Sections 117 and 118 I’m marking PL OK

Section 119

1:09 Text: “Tartar-Curds” I heard “Tater-Curds” big difference in meaning.
1:12 Text: “That come so fat” I heard, “That come so fast”
1:17 Text: “those restive brutes” I heard, “those resrictive brutes”

Section 120

0:47 Text: “To be belabor'd at of life,” I hear something like, “To be batchelored at of life” Doesn’t really make sense.

Again, I’ve marked only the places where I think your mistakes make a significant difference. I’ve tried to be more lenient.
~ Larry
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you larry. A different pronunciation of thou is fine :thumbs:
Carolin
simonettix

Post by simonettix »

Hi!
Here is the link to the recording of section 30 - THE TWO SWANS (running time 18:54)
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poeticalworks_030_hood_128kb.mp3

Best regards,
Simona
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you simona :thumbs:
Carolin
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Carolin -

Here are the following sections edited per the feedback -

Section 97 should be PL Okay as you said my pronunciation of Thou was fine which was the issue with that section.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poeticalworks_095_hood_128kb.mp3 - 11:03
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poeticalworks_119_hood_128kb.mp3 - 06:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poeticalworks_120_hood_128kb.mp3 - 07:05
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you lynda!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Lynda, as promised i helped out with proof listening.

Section 98 is pl ok :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Sections 99 and 100 are pl ok!
Carolin
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks so much Carolin! :clap: :clap:
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Ever since they worked on the site, I haven’t been getting any notifications from some forums, and this is one of them. I hope that now that I leave a new reply, I will start getting notifications.
I’ll work on my sections ASAP.
Linda :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

simonettix wrote: January 11th, 2018, 9:27 am Hi!
Here is the link to the recording of section 30 - THE TWO SWANS (running time 18:54)
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poeticalworks_030_hood_128kb.mp3

Best regards,
Simona
Nice reading of this poem. :thumbs:
I'm marking it PL OK. Just a couple of suggestions. I think it could benefit from some standard noise reduction to bring down the background hum. Then, there are spikes on your "s" sounds, and some on your "p" words. You might benefit from using a pop filter or moving the mike further from your mouth. Also a few mike bumps or something here and there, but none of this disqualifies the reading. Nicely done.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynda,

Section 95 is now PL OK.
Good job on the edits. :thumbs:

I'm trying to get caught up on these, but it takes so long to do yours, with so many notes to write. I'm picking out ONLY the ones that I think change the meaning of the poem. I had several others lined up to do tonight, hope that they would go smoothly, but I am way over my schedule on just the next poem.

I realize that this is a very challenging poem to read with a lot of names, puns and other poetic devices that don't just trip easily off the tongue. In fact, I think some of it is so dependent on the written form that it is just lost in the reading.
(Good job on all of the "Thous!").

Anyway, here are your PL notes for Section 101:

0:50 Text: “thro' Galileo's eyes,” I hear something like “though Gow’s eyes.” (thro’ is a contraction for “through” and the name Galileo has four syllables, not one)

0:54 Text: “as a digression” I hear, “as a discretion” -- different word, different meaning.

1:04 Text: “Could tell Calliope from "Callipee!" This is one case where pronunciation makes a difference, because it is the whole point of the line, and you have them essentially the same. You might try one of the on line pronunciation guides for the first one, calliope, which has four syllables, not three, which is what calipee has.

4:42 Text: “Stuff'd with a brilliant medley of odd bits,” I hear, “Stuff'd with a brilliant melody of odd bits,” -- different word, different meaning.

5:02 Text: “Th' indubitable cause” I hear something like, “undeputable” which is a non-word an does not convey the meaning of “indubitable.” A bit of tongue twister, eh?

5:08 Text: “ th' Epitome of all” I hear, “eptome” I think this is more than a variation, taking a four syllable word down to a two syllable word that isn't recognizable.

7:56 Text: “(as thou would'st add,)” I hear, “(as thou wouldn'st add,)” - changed the positive to the negative.

11:31 Text: “Thou should'st not miss” I hear, “Thou shouldn'st not miss “ - again changing the positive to a negative

I'll do my best to get us caught up.
~ Larry