COMPLETE The Poetical Works of Thomas Hood -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

The Poetical Works of Thomas Hood by Thomas Hood (1799 - 1845).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-poetical-works-of-thomas-hood-by-thomas-hood/
This is a collection of Thomas Hood's poems. Hood was an eminent British poet, regarded in particular for his humorous poetry, as well as his weird and fantastic poems.
As William Michael Rossetti writes in his biographical sketch of Hood, "A man of such a faculty and such a habit of work could scarcely, in all instances, keep himself within the bounds of good taste—a term which people are far too ready to introduce into serious discussions, for the purpose of casting disparagement upon some work which transcends the ordinary standards of appreciation, but a term nevertheless which has its important meaning and its true place. Hood is too often like a man grinning awry, or interlarding serious and beautiful discourse with a nod, a wink, or a leer, neither requisite nor convenient as auxiliaries to his speech: and to do either of these things is to fail in perfect taste. Sometimes, not very often, we are allowed to reach the close of a poem of his without having our attention jogged and called off by a single interpolation of this kind; and then we feel unalloyed—what we constantly feel also even under the contrary conditions—how exquisite a poetic sense and how choice a cunning of hand were his. On the whole, we can pronounce Hood the finest English poet between the generation of Shelley and the generation of Tennyson." ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15652
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
      "[Poem title], by Thomas Hood, read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
      • Then read the poem.
      • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    8. At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Poetical Works of Thomas Hood.
      There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    9. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      poeticalworks_###_hood_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. poeticalworks_001_hood_128kb.mp3)
    10. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

the biographical introduction

part 1
Intro: "The Bigraphical Introduction to the Poetical Works of Thomas Hood. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. [read by you.] The Poetical Works of Thomas Hood, by Thomas Hood. The Biographical Introduction by William Michael Rossetti, part 1."
please read until
The risible, the fantastic, was his beacon-light; sometimes as delicate as a dell of glow-worms; sometimes as uproarious as a bonfire; sometimes, it must be said (for he had to be perpetually writing whether the inspiration came or not, or his inspiration was too liable to come from the very platitudes and pettinesses of everyday life), not much more brilliant than a rush-light, and hardly more aromatic than the snuff of a tallow candle.
outro: End of The Biographical Introduction, part 1
please do include the footnotes.

part 2
Intro: "The Bigraphical Introduction, part 2, to the Poetical Works of Thomas Hood. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. [read by you.] The Poetical Works of Thomas Hood, by Thomas Hood. The Biographical Introduction by William Michael Rossetti, part 2."
please start at
We must now glance again at Hood's domestic affairs. His first child had no mundane existence worth calling such; but has nevertheless lived longer than most human beings in the lines which Lamb wrote for the occasion, On an Infant dying as soon as born.
outro: End of The Biographical Introduction, part 2
please do include the footnotes

a tale of a trumpet

part 1
please read until
Lord Bacon couldn't have gammon'd her better,—
With flatteries plump and indirect,
And plied his tongue with such effect,—
A tongue that could almost have butter'd a crumpet,—
The deaf old woman bought the Trumpet.

part 2
please start at
The Pedlar was gone. With the horn's assistance,
She heard his steps die away in the distance;
And then she heard the tick of the clock,
The purring of puss, and the snoring of Shock;
And she purposely dropped a pin that was little,
And heard it fall as plain as a skittle!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

this is going to be a great adventure :)

thomas hoods poetry is quite amazing, im sure everyone will enjoy it a lot. but many of the poems are 1-2 thousand words long, so i expect this project to take a while. The longer poems are totally worthwhile though, because they allow hood to tell a detailed story, and all those narrative poems are great :)

all readers and a dpl are most welcome!
Carolin
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great adventure indeed!

For now, I'd like to volunteer for the following, if I may:

I would also jump on board as DPL for this adventure.

Do you want three digits for the file names, like: poeticalworks_###_hood_128kb
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you larry, great to have you on board :thumbs:
Carolin
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Hi

I am new at this, but would like to record (35) I remember, I remember.

Craig Franklin
Druid

Post by Druid »

Hi Carolin,

May I take:-

14, 23, 24, 28, 147, 152, 159, & 161.

Thanks,

Dru
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Hi

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/poeticalworks_i_remember_i_remember_hood_128kbs.mp3

1:30

I am still trying to find my way and would really welcome any guidance.

Also be quite keen to read some more Hood if OK

Thanks
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you craig!

Please note the file name. This recording should have been named poeticalworks_035_hood_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Carolin
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Sorry about that. Do you need me to resubmit with a new file name?

Also can I try something else for this collection. I would like to try :-

60 The Dream of Eugene Aram

Craig
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you craig. you neednt resubmit the file unless something needs fixing (in which case please also fix the file name). someone will be along with pl feedback shortly, if we dont catch outselves a dpl soon ill do it myself :)
Carolin
Druid

Post by Druid »

Hi Carolin,

May I take:-

6, 13, 26, 32, 40, 43, 62, 122, 123, 127, 165 & 171.

Thanks,

Dru
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you dru!
Carolin
Craigos

Post by Craigos »