COMPLETE Sandhya, Songs of Twilight by Dhan Gopal Mukerji -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Sandhya, Songs of Twilight by Dhan Gopal Mukerji (1890 - 1936).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/sandhya-songs-of-twilight-by-dhan-gopal-mukerji/

This is an abandoned solo project, continued as a group project. Carolin is acting as BC.
Dhan Gopal Mukerji wrote Sandhya, Songs of Twilight while in San Francisco, as a way to support himself and pay for his college education. This collection of poems has several references to his homeland, India. In 1928, Mukerji was awarded the John Newbery Medal. ( Wikipedia and Anusha)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22848
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Sandhya, Songs of Twilight. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Sandhya, Songs of Twilight, by Dhan Gopal Mukerji. [Section title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Sandhya, Songs of Twilight by Dhan Gopal Mukerji. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Sandhya, Songs of Twilight, by Dhan Gopal Mukerji. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename sandhya_##_mukerji_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sandhya_01_mukerji_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by anushar04 on August 22nd, 2016, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anusha - My LV page, and Some of My Music!
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

I saw this book in Carolin's list of poetry collections, and got very excited! I had fun with my last solo, also a poetry book, so I decided to do this one myself, after going through the poems, I could not NOT do it - they're lovely!

I plan to divide the 71 poems by Sections titled Poems 1 - 7, Poems 8 - 15, etc. Therefore 10 sections in total. Hope that's okay!

Also, should I leave out the ID tags?
Thank you! :D
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs: :thumbs:

let me get us a magic window..
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

alright, you are all set :thumbs:

did you plan to put the foreword into section 0? then you needed an extra section, 11 in total. i added that extra one, if you decide differently, i can always add or delete as necessary :)

and you can always fill in the tags if you like, but it isnt necessary :)
Carolin
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Thank you Carolin! :9:

You were right, I needed 11 sections.
Let's get going!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well I just finished one DPL job, so I can take on this one, if you wish Anusha :)

Sonia
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Yay!! Welcome on board, Sonia!! :clap:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

excellent, then lets move out of the launch pad shall we :D
Carolin
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

I'll be starting this project after a little while, I aim to finish my other outstanding sections to record in the meantime.
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Hi Sonia!

Finally I have come around to tackling my own solo. :D

I have uploaded the first three sections of this collection, including the tiny one of the foreword. As promised, they're all within 10 mins.

Section 00, Foreword:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/sandhya_00_mukerji_128kb.mp3
Duration - 01:25

Section 01, Poems 1 - 7:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/sandhya_01_mukerji_128kb.mp3
Duration - 08:00

Section 02, Poems 8 - 15:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/sandhya_02_mukerji_128kb.mp3
Duration - 07:44

Like last time, do let me know of any errors in pronunciation.
Hope you like these poems!
Thank you :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ah the project has started :) Glad to see you found some time. I have some notes, but I think there is really only one word that I would redo, all the others are negligible, since one can understand what is meant.

Note for Section 0:

> you did not mention Section 0 but simply “Foreword” but I guess that’s ok, since section 0 sounds a bit strange LOL
I'll mark it PL ok nevertheless.

I like the way you pronounce the Indian names, for example how ‘dh’ is pronounced, I can clearly hear the ‘h’. Since I don’t know anything about these languages yet, for it’s interesting to hear it from a native speaker.

Notes for Section 1:

> since you want me to point out pronunciations: “symbolism” is stressed on the first syllable, but it’s perfectly comprehensible nevertheless the way you said it. It even sounds very good like that. :thumbs:

> at 0:51: “Faith's candle lit” – I think you said “Fate” instead of “Faith” but I’m not sure. Probably negligible.

> at 6:48: you mispronounced “scythe”: the ‘c’ is not pronounced, it’s simply “sithe” – ryhming with “lithe”. Maybe you could re-do that line for better understanding ?

Another question: So this “poati”, what would it be ? A bit like sad weeping woman ? Or always a mother ? The explanation was a bit hazy. :hmm:

Note for Section 2:

> at 6:38: “viols” is pronounced with an “eye” sound for ‘i’. a bit like the word “vile”, only with a short ‘e’ in between: “veye-el”. Still, I understood the word, so I guess I can mark it PL ok. It’s up to you if you want to change it.

These poems are all very lyrical and highly emotional and you convey it excellently in your reading. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for getting me to know this author. Looking forward to the next sections. :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Anusha

if I remember correctly, the PL notes from Section 1 were already corrected by you and PL ok by me before the crash... I hope you still have that file, because you probably need to re-upload it again. :help:

Sonia
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

I don't have the file, but it wouldn't be too much of an issue for me to correct and upload it again.

Also, yes, I haven't forgotten this. I will get back to it soon!
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

I'm checking in. I plan to record the next couple of weeks. Thanks :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

anushar04 wrote:I'm checking in. I plan to record the next couple of weeks. Thanks :D
:D great to see you back. I'm here and ready for new sections to PL.

Sonia