COMPLETE Uncanny Tales- Complied by Sir Arthur Pearson -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
swalkerl

Post by swalkerl »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hiya, welcome to librivox!

You are welcome to participate in this project! You have skipped a couple of steps there. We usually ask readers for a test recording so that we can be sure that all your technical settings are in order.

Also, to be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.

We can go without the test if the person proof listening to your recording checks the technical settings. Also, ill sign you up with your forum user name for the catalog for now so that i can update the magic window. This can be changed anytime. Your personal catalog page is here, https://librivox.org/reader/12517
Carolin
linny

Post by linny »

I can PL section 2.
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi carolin and swalkerl and linny,

i apply as dpl (sorry linny, i hope you didnt start the work. i did it before and after lunch, didnt know if i want to dpl this...)

there are not many problems, but one showed up in checker: the volume.
when listening to the first 5 minutes, i think i heard, why:
suddenly at minute 4 and 1-3 seconds, the volume drops.
you see it also in the audacity track window:

did you use another setup for some parts of the recording? another day?
did you try to amplify and couldnt mark all of your file?
to mark all of the track, just click in the small window left to the trackwaves, where the filename is, below the buttons "mute" and "solo" are shown.
i always click on the tech-specs or left of the two -...+ thingies.

the pl-notes:
the intro and first page(s) were absolutely ok, but showing some echo or noise just in the voice-parts. i will have to check that again, after you amplfied your file.

i recommend to amplify two parts separately, the first 4 minutes and the rest of your file. when checking the whole file with replaygain, the value it gives back for amplifying is 10 db. that could make your intro and first minutes make that loud, that listeners have to turn volume up and down while listening to you.
also, audacity just offers amplifying around 6db, so that is no option.
just as an example: around minute 3, your recording needs to be amplified for about 5 db (i use replay gain in audacity to meter this), around minute 5 the value doubles to 11 db.
your voice sounds actually better in this part, but it is way too silent...
from minute 4 and 3 seconds on, marked the rest of your recording, replaygain meters 12,3 db you need to amplify.

do you use audacity?
because you can edit parts of the recording, also.

do you need help with amplifying? wwe have video tutorials and wiki pages and..
in short:
you need the value to amplify (you can use the plugin RelayGain, which you will find (after installing) in audacity menue "analyze" - or calculate the difference of checkers metered volume to our standard 89 DB)
eg:
mark the first 4 minutes (zoom out with clicking into the track, using the mouse scroll and your ctrl key at the same time)
audacity menue: "analyze"" --> "ReplayGain" (note the value)
audacity menue: "effect" --> "amplify".
there enter your value and click ok.
repeat that step for the second value and the rest of your file.

if you need any further help, please dont hesitate to ask!

that said, your recording was perfectly understandable, nice to listen to, and i thank you for your very good, first contribution!

other pl notes:
+ minute 8:20 there are some dogs barking for half a minute in the background. it is not disturbingly loud, but could be after amplifying.

+ another short drop of volume 15:30 to 15:42
replay gain tells a value of 14.6 db
i think, that will be amplified sufficiently with the second turn of amplifying.

cheers,
schrm
Last edited by schrm on May 20th, 2018, 6:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
linny

Post by linny »

Hello and welcome to LV!
There are a few corrections to make. Please post if you have any questions.

4:29 missing word - "And yet, you know, they were quite good-tempered chaps when you didn't cross them.

8:15 – 8:45 (optional) There is a lot of dog barking in the background. I can hear you but it is distracting. It’s standard PL OK so you don’t have to change it but if you want to here are the words of the area. When you post your revision, let us know if you made this change so we can spot check it or skip it.
But I reasoned with myself and managed to satisfy myself that he must have turned the chair round with his foot. It was just possible that he could have done so, for it had one of those light wicker-work seats.
We had a lovely voyage for three-quarters of the way, and the sea was as calm as any duck-pond. But that was all altered when we passed Cape Finisterre. I have done a lot of knocking about on the ocean one way and another, but I never saw the Bay of Biscay deserve its reputation better.

10:06 word change - A vast mountain of green water lifted up its bulk and fell upon us in a ravening cataract.
I hear contract

Please trim ending silence to 5 seconds.

Your volume is exceptionally low at 78.7dB. Please amplify by 10dB. Around 4 minutes your volume drops off. You might consider amplifying in two sections as you work towards an overall increase of 10dB.

When you post your revision please include the file length.

Carolin, the current file length is 23:45
schrm

Post by schrm »

oh posted at the same time..and i forgot the ending silence..

thank you linny!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
swalkerl

Post by swalkerl »

Thank you schrm and linny, I will work on these corrections and post again.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you both :D

welcome to this project, schrm!
Carolin
swalkerl

Post by swalkerl »

Carolin wrote: May 19th, 2018, 11:20 pm Hiya, welcome to librivox!

You are welcome to participate in this project! You have skipped a couple of steps there. We usually ask readers for a test recording so that we can be sure that all your technical settings are in order.

Also, to be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.

We can go without the test if the person proof listening to your recording checks the technical settings. Also, ill sign you up with your forum user name for the catalog for now so that i can update the magic window. This can be changed anytime. Your personal catalog page is here, https://librivox.org/reader/12517
Thanks for the welcome and sorry for skipping those steps. I was just very eager to get started. :)
JuliaMikheeva

Post by JuliaMikheeva »

Hello! I would like to read The Tomtom Clue and The Case of Sir Alister Moeran if they have not yet been taken by anyone else
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
AkashaQD

Post by AkashaQD »

AkashaQD :D
schrm

Post by schrm »

AkashaQD wrote: May 27th, 2018, 5:07 pm Here is section 5 "The Kiss"

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/uncannytales_05_various_128kb.mp3

19:47
hi,

thank you - i will pl it in the evening!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
schrm

Post by schrm »

AkashaQD wrote: May 27th, 2018, 5:07 pm Here is section 5 "The Kiss"

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/uncannytales_05_various_128kb.mp3

19:47

hello,

thank you for your contribution of this thrilling story!
was really..eerie

pl 05 the kiss: ok!

please, just see it as comments or hints - and if you wish to change any of that, pls give me feedback. i will change the pl ok and spot pl your edited file :-)
- checker ok, but: average volume is 86,2 db = close to the lower margin of accepted volume (89db+-3)
- audacity check: beginning silence 0,5-1 seconds = with ~1,6 seconds, it is ~0,6 too long
-pl: the only part, wich is a little bit very loud, is ~18:51 (despite some spikes showing up in audacity, they are not audible for me). maybe, an amplifying of this word would suit your recording

i wish you a nice evening!
cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275