Poetry and Short Works: Frequently Asked Questions

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

POETRY: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Table of contents: Please click on the bold heading to go to the correct section.

What is Weekly Poetry and how can I contribute?
- How does Weekly Poetry work?
- Who chooses the poem each week?
- What is Weekly Poetry for?

How do I coordinate a Weekly Poetry project?

Can I record other poems?
- What are Short Poetry Collections?
- How do I submit a recording to a Short Poetry Collection?
- How do I know what has already been recorded?

What do -rg, -dl, -ez, and MC mean?
- What are the codes -rg, -dl, -ez, -ba etc, in the subjects of threads?
- What are MCs, or 'meta coordinators?'
- Why do we need these tags?
- Who adds the tags?
Last edited by LibraryLady on February 20th, 2006, 12:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

WHAT IS WEEKLY POETRY AND HOW CAN I CONTRIBUTE?
Weekly Poetry is a good place to start for Librivox rookies, and the place for you if you're too busy to do a big chapter this week.

Below you will find information on:
  • How does Weekly Poetry work?
  • Who chooses the poem each week?
  • What is Weekly Poetry for?
How does Weekly Poetry work?
- Each week, a new public domain poem is chosen, and the full text is posted in a new thread, along with instructions for recording and file names.

- Everyone is encouraged to make a recording - it'll only take you a few minutes!

- Get the audio to the weekly poetry coordinator - by uploading to the LibriVox uploader and posting the resulting link in the project thread. (log-in information for the uploader can be found in the first post of the thread)

Who chooses the poem each week?
Anyone who records a poem is welcome to coordinate a poem the next week or to sign up to coordinate in the future if the next week is already spoken for. You can also make suggestions of poems for other people to coordinate, if you don't want to take on coordinating the project yourself. To sign up to coordinate a poem or to make a suggestion, see the planning thread: viewtopic.php?t=63737

What Is Weekly Poetry For?
We think this illustrates what's so great about LibriVox: there is no definitive audio version of any text, there is only interpretation. That's what we're about and that's what weekly poetry shows. Plus, it's fun, and poetry, like an apple a day, is good for you!
Last edited by LibraryLady on January 3rd, 2007, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg

LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

HOW DO I COORDINATE A WEEKLY POETRY PROJECT?
If you're interested in possibly coordinating a whole book, a great way to get your feet wet is by coordinating a weekly poem. Here is how you do it:
  1. Choose a poem and sign up to coordinate it in the planning thread: viewtopic.php?t=63737
  2. When your week to coordinate arrives, start a new thread in the Launch Pad forum on that Sunday. The title of the thread should read: [WEEKLY POETRY] - <Poem Title> by <Author>.
  3. The form for Weekly and Fortnightly Poetry can be found here. Fill it in, select the appropriate type of project, and copy/paste the resulting code into your forum post.
    • How to name the file.
      • The file name should be in this format: title_author_readerinitials_128kb.mp3. It is essential that the file name be all in lowercase. The template generator should make this for you already; you're free to shorten the title portion if you feel it's too long.
      • The ID3 tags are no longer required, BUT please make sure the section titles in the Magic Window follow this format:
        Section Title=[Poem Title] - Read by [Reader Initials]
      • Projects start on Sunday and close on the following Saturday night at midnight CST (0600 GMT Sunday morning.) (This does not mean to you need to be awake then. Closing the project anytime Sunday is fine.)
    • Gather the files as they are posted and download them onto your computer. Please, listen through the poem and make sure the volume and editing are okay.
    • Ask new readers how they would like their name listed and if they have a URL if they are not already in the catalog.
    • When the deadline is reached, post on the thread notifying readers that the project is closed.
    • It is also helpful to provide a short summary of the poem for the catalog page or let your MC know if you would prefer the standard summary.
    • That's it, you're done, good job!
Last edited by LibraryLady on January 3rd, 2007, 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg

LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

CAN I RECORD OTHER POEMS?
Yes! This is what the Short Poetry Collections are for.

• What are Short Poetry Collections?
  • How do I submit a recording to a Short Poetry Collection?
  • How do I know what has already been recorded?
What are Short Poetry Collections?
Short Poetry Collections are where you can submit any public domain poem that you have recorded. A new collection is begun every month.

How do I submit a recording to a Short Poetry Collection?
- Make sure the poem you want to read is in the public domain. The best sources to check this are http://www.gutenberg.org and http://www.bartleby.com/verse - however there are many poems in the public domain which are NOT on either of these sites. If you want to record a poem that is not on Gutenberg or Bartleby but which you think is in the public domain, post in the thread for the current Short Poetry Collection to ask for help verifying that the poem is not under copyright.

- Once you are sure the poem is in the public domain, go ahead and do your recording. You do not need to ask approval or permission first. Please visit the thread for the current Short Poetry Collection for information on how to format your filename and ID3 tags.

- After you have recorded and uploaded the poem, post a link to the recording along with your personal information in the thread for the current Short Poetry Collection. See the first post of the Short Poetry Collection thread for more information.

How do I know what has already been recorded?

- First of all, just become something has already been recorded by someone else does not mean you can't do it too! We welcome multiple versions of works; in fact many of the poems in our poetry and short story index have already been recorded several times by different people.

- To see what has been recorded already, you can search the LibriVox Catalog by author or title, or browse by poetry - but remember that we welcome multiple versions!
Last edited by LibraryLady on January 27th, 2007, 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg

LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

WHAT DO -rg, -dl, -ez, and MC MEAN?

• What are the codes -ez, -ba etc, in the subjects of threads?
  • What are MCs, or 'meta coordinators?'
  • Why do we need these tags?
  • Who adds the tags?
The other letters are those of the 'meta coordinators'.

Thus, "[WEEKLY POETRY] -dl" denotes a short poem of the week, meta coordinated by aradlaw (David Lawrence). "[MYSTERY] - ge" would be a project for short mystery stories, meta coordinated by Gesine.

What are MCs, or 'meta coordinators?'
Meta coordinators are administrators who take over from the book coordinators when the project is completed. The metas take the files and upload them onto the LibriVox catalogue. They are also available for questions, but it's a different role from that of the book coordinator. Essentially, where the book coordinator's work finishes, the meta coordinator's begins.

Why do we need these tags?
The volume of recordings on LibriVox has been increasing steadily recently, and with it the task of cataloging. We needed to keep track of who is doing what project - when a book coordinator or a solo reader posts a new project, one of the metas will 'claim' that project by tagging it with his/her initials or name.
This way book coordinators and solo readers also know who is going to take care of publishing the finished recordings.

Who adds the tags?
The meta coordinators add the tags. Book coordinators and solo readers post their topics in the Launch Pad forum as usual, with subject "TITLE by AUTHOR." A meta coordinator will then 'claim' the project (i.e. agree to organise the metadata and cataloging) by adding the tag to the subject line, and move the thread to the correct forum. They will also add their initials to the uploader information in the first post, so that contributors to the project know where to send their files.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg