[COMPLETE] The Thrill Book Vol. I. No. 1, March 1,1919- ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kavik

Post by Kavik »

flavo5000 wrote: November 14th, 2022, 4:36 pm
Kavik wrote: November 14th, 2022, 4:10 pm Hello I would like to try Section 3 The Ivory Hunters Chptrs 1&2 but I just posted my 1minute test so I can wait until it's been checked.
Kavik
Sure. I can put a tentative hold on it for you for a week while you're waiting. What name would be like to be represented as in the catalog? It could be your forum name, real name or anything else you want. Thanks!
Hi I would like KenK for the catalog and my test was approved so I should be good to go now
Kavik
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kavik wrote: November 15th, 2022, 6:52 pm I got the go ahead on my test now how do I get started lol
Kavik
Congrats! Just read the First Post from top to bottom, word for word, and you'll know just what to do. It gives you the text to read from, the Intro text, the Outro text, what to name your finished file, which MC folder to upload your file into, and how to notify us that you've uploaded it. Snip snap. And if you still have questions, ask and we'll try to answer.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Kavik wrote: November 15th, 2022, 7:29 pm
Kavik wrote: November 14th, 2022, 4:10 pm Hello I would like to try Section 3 The Ivory Hunters Chptrs 1&2 but I just posted my 1minute test so I can wait until it's been checked.
Kavik
Sure. I can put a tentative hold on it for you for a week while you're waiting. What name would be like to be represented as in the catalog? It could be your forum name, real name or anything else you want. Thanks!
Hi I would like KenK for the catalog and my test was approved so I should be good to go now
Kavik
Ok, I've assigned section 3 to you. Have fun!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: November 14th, 2022, 12:50 pm Section 13 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/thrillbookvol1no1_13_various_128kb.mp3 27:11

It was nice to read dialogue without too many "he said, she said's" (wish more authors did that), and an interesting challenge differentiating both halves of the same person, in the same voice but somehow different.

I'll need someone to PL this, being as I am DPL.
You're PL OK! What an odd little story...
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 01 Wolf of the Steps

:42 you say "in my present performance for the first time", delete present
:54 you say "and realize with, rejoicing the impotence of Evil", I recommend you put the pause after rejoicing, and emphasize that word, as it seems an important part of the story.
12:57 Just opened the above letter to add another more recent occurrence, add is missing.
17:50 Whistle. Repeat. I simply cannot make head or tail of the affair.
22:53 He is a big, gray, shaggy fellow. He has been haunting our garden of late at night, and he has a- most disagreeable howl. missing phrase
48:50 Had we forgotten to close that inner door in our anxiety to plan for the entrance of the wolf ? No, the beast paused again. No is missing.
52:50 I kept my eyes fixed upon the dead that lay within the farther circle. that is missing
55:59 a thump

There are many volume issues, too numerous to list, where your voice gets very quiet. Here are some of the widest swings:
23:04-27 volume drops 7dB to 82dB, making it barely audible. recommend Amplify +4 or 5 to match surrounding text, which is at around 87dB
25:39-27:22 volume drops 5.2 dB to 84dB, recommend amplify +3 or 4
52:10-13 volume drops 12 db to 77dB, recommend amplify +7 to match surrounding quiet text.
53:17-53:59 the incantation volume rises to 97 dB
54-54:10 volume drops 5 dB to 84dB

NOTE: A voice coach on one of our Zoom sessions counselled that our whispers need to sound quiet while maintaining normal volume, as must our shouts sound loud while maintaining normal volume. Duh, what? Failing at that, I rely on Amplify and Compression effects to achieve a similar result. I may have shared my Compression technique with you before, Ben, where you amplify the whole file by 2 or 3 (which raises everything), then Compress the whole file (which lowers the loudest parts without affecting the quieter parts). I tried this on your file which levelled volume out significantly, using the Compression settings 14/40/3.1 nothing checked. It sounded great to me. The quietest bits cited above would still need to be addressed, but not quite as much as indicated.

One caution about the Compressor Effect, you have to add silence at the beginning of the selection before you compress, because (don't ask me why) it squishes the front end down severely. I add 7 seconds of silence, compress the whole thing, then delete that 7 seconds.
Kavik

Post by Kavik »

flavo5000 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 5:42 am

Kavik
just a quick question, do we do separate voices for each character or just a single voice for all? Sorry but never thought to ask!
Kavik
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Kavik wrote: November 27th, 2022, 10:42 pm

Kavik
just a quick question, do we do separate voices for each character or just a single voice for all? Sorry but never thought to ask!
Kavik
Whatever you'd like to do! :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kavik
Hi, Kavik, thought I'd pop in and say that many, perhaps most readers do not attempt to "do voices", and their narrations sound fine. Only time it is "essential" is if there is dialogue between two or more characters, and the author doesn't cue their lines with "John said", "Jill replied", etc. It's kind of like when you read an actual book to yourself, your brain doesn't change the voices. Of course, it is important to add "expression", and voice interpretations are fun to do. Looking forward to PL'ing your story.
Kavik

Post by Kavik »

flavo5000 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 5:53 am

Kavik
Whatever you'd like to do! :)
Ok thanks should have something for you next week.
Kavik

Post by Kavik »

msfry wrote: November 28th, 2022, 8:17 am
Kavik
Hi, Kavik, thought I'd pop in and say that many, perhaps most readers do not attempt to "do voices", and their narrations sound fine. Only time it is "essential" is if there is dialogue between two or more characters, and the author doesn't cue their lines with "John said", "Jill replied", etc. It's kind of like when you read an actual book to yourself, your brain doesn't change the voices. Of course, it is important to add "expression", and voice interpretations are fun to do. Looking forward to PL'ing your story.
Thanks for the info much appreciated!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: November 27th, 2022, 4:40 pm PL Notes 01 Wolf of the Steps

:42 you say "in my present performance for the first time", delete present
:54 you say "and realize with, rejoicing the impotence of Evil", I recommend you put the pause after rejoicing, and emphasize that word, as it seems an important part of the story.
12:57 Just opened the above letter to add another more recent occurrence, add is missing.
17:50 Whistle. Repeat. I simply cannot make head or tail of the affair.
22:53 He is a big, gray, shaggy fellow. He has been haunting our garden of late at night, and he has a- most disagreeable howl. missing phrase
48:50 Had we forgotten to close that inner door in our anxiety to plan for the entrance of the wolf ? No, the beast paused again. No is missing.
52:50 I kept my eyes fixed upon the dead that lay within the farther circle. that is missing
55:59 a thump

There are many volume issues, too numerous to list, where your voice gets very quiet. Here are some of the widest swings:
23:04-27 volume drops 7dB to 82dB, making it barely audible. recommend Amplify +4 or 5 to match surrounding text, which is at around 87dB
25:39-27:22 volume drops 5.2 dB to 84dB, recommend amplify +3 or 4
52:10-13 volume drops 12 db to 77dB, recommend amplify +7 to match surrounding quiet text.
53:17-53:59 the incantation volume rises to 97 dB
54-54:10 volume drops 5 dB to 84dB

NOTE: A voice coach on one of our Zoom sessions counselled that our whispers need to sound quiet while maintaining normal volume, as must our shouts sound loud while maintaining normal volume. Duh, what? Failing at that, I rely on Amplify and Compression effects to achieve a similar result. I may have shared my Compression technique with you before, Ben, where you amplify the whole file by 2 or 3 (which raises everything), then Compress the whole file (which lowers the loudest parts without affecting the quieter parts). I tried this on your file which levelled volume out significantly, using the Compression settings 14/40/3.1 nothing checked. It sounded great to me. The quietest bits cited above would still need to be addressed, but not quite as much as indicated.

One caution about the Compressor Effect, you have to add silence at the beginning of the selection before you compress, because (don't ask me why) it squishes the front end down severely. I add 7 seconds of silence, compress the whole thing, then delete that 7 seconds.
Ok, hopefully everything should be fixed. That was a long one and I recorded the whole thing in one sitting, so it's not surprising that it had some flubs in it, even after the editing.
msfry

Post by msfry »

In the name of Adonai, I declare Section 1 to be howling good . . . an electrifying performance . . . and PL OK! :D
Kavik

Post by Kavik »

Hi there not sure if this is the correct place to paste the URL but here goes lol https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/thrillbookvol1no1_section3.mp3
This is my first go at this so if I messed up please let me know so I can try to fix it ! any comments will be welcome.
Thanks for listening.
Kavik
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kavik, I look forward to PL'ing your file tomorrow.