[COMPLETE] Enough Rope, by Dorothy Parker - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

chrisarcher wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:21 pm I would like to read "The satin dress" section 12. I'm new, so would appreciate any input. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/enoughrope_12_parker_128kb.mp3

Should I create a fun pseudonym? I don't know. Again, I'm new and would appreciate advise.

Thank you
Chris
Welcome to LibriVox. We're glad to have you join us.

I see you've completed the 1-minute test. :)

I strongly recommend that you request your sections and wait to hear back from the BC, that is me in this case, before completing your recordings. Sometimes, requests don't always get added to the MW right away so there might be a prior claim. In this case, there are no prior claims for the three poems (11, 12, and 16) you read. I will give them a listen later and provide you with feedback on them. Please provide me the length of the poems in mm:ss.

I do, however, need one more thing from you. I need to know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, your forum name, a nickname, or a "fun pseudonym".

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I see you've submitted the 1-minute test but it is pending an OK.

I strongly recommend that you request your sections and wait to hear back from the BC, that is me in this case, before completing your recordings. Sometimes, requests don't always get added to the MW right away so there might be a prior claim. In this case, there are no prior claims for the two poems (34 and 35) you read. I will give them a listen later and provide you with feedback on them.

I do, however, need one more thing from you. I need to know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, your forum name, a nickname, or something else.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

chrisarcher wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:21 pm I would like to read "The satin dress" section 12. I'm new, so would appreciate any input. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/enoughrope_12_parker_128kb.mp3

Should I create a fun pseudonym? I don't know. Again, I'm new and would appreciate advise.

Thank you
Chris
All three poems were well read. :)
You've got a nice and clear voice. I look forward to hearing more from you.

All three poems have easy corrections to make. If you have any questions about them please let me know.

please delete a little over 1.5 seconds at start so the silence is between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds in length.
please amplify the recording by about -4 dB so that it is within the required range of 86-92 dB. A drop of 4 dB will make the volume close to the ideal value.

please amplify the recording by about -4 dB so that it is within the required range of 86-92 dB. A drop of 4 dB will make the volume close to the ideal value.

please delete about 1.5 seconds at start so the silence is between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds in length.
at about 0:49 the "in" is missing in "This recording is in the public domain". You might find it easier to replace the entire sentence than trying to insert one word. Your choice.

Please then upload the files with the same filenames and post them and their new times here.

Again, you did a great job on your recordings and don't forget to let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

StarStruck96 wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 1:48 pm
icequeen wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 1:14 pm
StarStruck96 wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 12:20 pm I'm trying to request # 34 & 35 but my reply wont post in the top for some reason
Are you talking about the Magic Window? The BC is the one who accepts and assigns the sections, it does not happen automatically. Is that why you reported the post?
I don't know what the magic window is or what "BC" means. I reported my own comment because it was a duplicate which I posted in the notes section.
It wouldn't just let me delete it. I'm new to this forum and i'm just trying to make sense of things. When other people post something new it goes to the top and its easy to find but I can't find my posts even when I try to search in the search bar. I thought I just needed to post reply but maybe not...I just saw people requesting to record and I wanted to as well.
OK, I gotcha! Normally, people use the "Report Post" button if the poster has said something offensive. We try as much as we can to keep our forum as family-friendly as possible, and us admins start getting nervous when we come on and see that someone has flagged a post. I was quite relieved to see that it is not a fire!

OK, the Magic Window is that white box you see in the first post of the project, where you looked for the open sections to claim. The BC is the Book Coordinator who manages the project. And I am the MC, or the Meta Coordinator, who handles all the setting up of the Magic Window and the cataloging of the project when it is completed. The other term you will see is DPL, or the Dedicated Proof Listener, who listens to all the sections of a project as they come in, and will let you know if something needs to be fixed. You will learn our language in no time at all!

To delete a post, there should be a button on top right side of a post that has an X on it. That is how you delete a post. It could be that because you are so new, the button may not be there yet. You can leave that post where it is, it is fine.

I think I answered everything in your post! If you have more questions, feel free to ask! Either M or I will answer them, probably M because I try not to hijack project threads if I am only the MC. Oh, and just in case no one said it, welcome to LibriVox!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
czandra

Post by czandra »

Hi. I'm not seeing PL notes for section 30, though the MW points to them? Do you need me to renumber 89 to 88?

Czandra
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

czandra wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:05 am Hi. I'm not seeing PL notes for section 30, though the MW points to them? Do you need me to renumber 89 to 88?

Czandra
No, the renumbering has been taken care of. Thanks.

Section 30 just needs to have the volume increased by at least 5 dB to reach the minimum volume of 86 dB, 8 dB would be ideal.

M
czandra

Post by czandra »

Done, thanks!

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Ok, here's a dilemma. Effective December 30, 2022, public domain in Canada becomes 70 years after the author's death (instead of 50 years, as it is now). (See https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=42842&lang=en.) That means that if this project doesn't finish before then (seems unlikely), my three recordings (#31, 38, and 51) will have to be removed and rerecorded by someone in the US, as they'll no longer be public domain for me.

I'll be disappointed, as I enjoyed doing these, but I do want to play by the rules.

UPDATE/CORRECTION: TriciaG just informed me: "No. The new rules won't be retroactive. Any authors PD in Canada today will be PD in Canada on December 31st. But on January 1st, when before the law authors who died in 1972 would have been PD for us, they won't be - not until Jan 1, 2042."

So my Dorothy Parker recordings can remain! Hooray.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

czandra wrote: November 24th, 2022, 12:46 pm Done, thanks!

Cz
This is now PL OK.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Winnifred wrote: November 24th, 2022, 3:17 pm Ok, here's a dilemma. Effective December 30, 2022, public domain in Canada becomes 70 years after the author's death (instead of 50 years, as it is now). (See https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=42842&lang=en.) That means that if this project doesn't finish before then (seems unlikely), my three recordings (#31, 38, and 51) will have to be removed and rerecorded by someone in the US, as they'll no longer be public domain for me.

I'll be disappointed, as I enjoyed doing these, but I do want to play by the rules.

UPDATE/CORRECTION: TriciaG just informed me: "No. The new rules won't be retroactive. Any authors PD in Canada today will be PD in Canada on December 31st. But on January 1st, when before the law authors who died in 1972 would have been PD for us, they won't be - not until Jan 1, 2042."

So my Dorothy Parker recordings can remain! Hooray.

Cheers,
I am sooo glad.

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Here are my notes for sections 34 and 35.

34:
cut about one second of silence at the start so there is between 0.5 and 1 second of silence.
at about 0:16, I hear "football" instead of "footfall "in "Where never footfall rankles,"
add about 3 seconds of silence to the end so that there are about 5 seconds of silence total

35:
delete about 0.5 seconds at start so there is between 0.5 and 1 second total
add about 3 seconds of silence to end so that there are about 5 seconds of silence total

You have done a nice job with the reading.

The following is a suggestion. There is a fairly constant level of background noise in both recordings. While the level is not too high I would recommend noise reduction on both files just to get them a little cleaner sounding.

Thanks,

M
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I love Dorothy Parker's work. :) May I claim 4, 15, 25, 37, 45, 50, 62, 71, 77 and 85?
Tomas Peter
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

WiltedScribe wrote: November 26th, 2022, 12:39 pm I love Dorothy Parker's work. :) May I claim 4, 15, 25, 37, 45, 50, 62, 71, 77 and 85?
You've got them. :) :) :) :)

Happy reading.

Thanks,

M
StarStruck96

Post by StarStruck96 »

mleigh wrote: November 25th, 2022, 7:50 pm
Here are my notes for sections 34 and 35.

34:
cut about one second of silence at the start so there is between 0.5 and 1 second of silence.
at about 0:16, I hear "football" instead of "footfall "in "Where never footfall rankles,"
add about 3 seconds of silence to the end so that there are about 5 seconds of silence total

35:
delete about 0.5 seconds at start so there is between 0.5 and 1 second total
add about 3 seconds of silence to end so that there are about 5 seconds of silence total

You have done a nice job with the reading.

The following is a suggestion. There is a fairly constant level of background noise in both recordings. While the level is not too high I would recommend noise reduction on both files just to get them a little cleaner sounding.

Thanks,

M

Oh okay, I will work on that right away! Thank you
StarStruck96

Post by StarStruck96 »

mleigh wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 5:28 pm

I see you've submitted the 1-minute test but it is pending an OK.

I strongly recommend that you request your sections and wait to hear back from the BC, that is me in this case, before completing your recordings. Sometimes, requests don't always get added to the MW right away so there might be a prior claim. In this case, there are no prior claims for the two poems (34 and 35) you read. I will give them a listen later and provide you with feedback on them.

I do, however, need one more thing from you. I need to know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, your forum name, a nickname, or something else.

Thanks,

M

Oh okay I will remember that for next time sorry about that!
Dani H is how i would like to be credited Thankyou