[group] The Alley Cat's Kitten - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Winnifred wrote: September 25th, 2022, 3:46 pm Here's Chapter 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/alleycatskitten_02_fuller_128kb.mp3 (11:59).

Much more cheerful than the first chapter!

Cheers,
Thank you.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

Winnifred wrote: September 25th, 2022, 3:46 pm Here's Chapter 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/alleycatskitten_02_fuller_128kb.mp3 (11:59).

Much more cheerful than the first chapter!
Chapter 2 is PL OK.
The program Checker complained about background noise, but I didn't find it objectionable. I see why you read "Chapter Two - The Alley Cat's Kitten" in the introduction; it's both the title of the book and this chapter. Reading the chapter number is optional at this point in the intro - I think you made the right call reading it this way.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

loon wrote: September 25th, 2022, 5:13 pm Chapter 2 is PL OK.
The program Checker complained about background noise, but I didn't find it objectionable. I see why you read "Chapter Two - The Alley Cat's Kitten" in the introduction; it's both the title of the book and this chapter. Reading the chapter number is optional at this point in the intro - I think you made the right call reading it this way.
Yes, that was a bit confusing, so I thought it best to include it this time. I'll leave it off the next one.

I've had some difficulty with eliminating background noise lately; I think my neighbourhood is getting noisier, even in the evenings when I usually record. I also think my earbud wires are making some odd clicking sounds; I might need to look into a wireless headset instead.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Sheribel

Post by Sheribel »

philchenevert wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:31 am
Sheribel wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:16 am May I please read chapter 14? thank you

sheribel
Certainly. 14 is all yours. Ask if anything is confusing. :D And how would you like to be credited in our catalog? What name? most of us use our real name but it is up to you.
sheribel will be fine. Thank you :)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
loon

Post by loon »

I'll listen to chapter 3 soon.
loon

Post by loon »

Winnifred wrote: September 26th, 2022, 4:23 pm Here's Chapter 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/alleycatskitten_03_fuller_128kb.mp3 (14:32).
PL OK. I hope Stamper and Weejums turn up OK in future chapters.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

loon wrote: September 26th, 2022, 6:39 pm PL OK. I hope Stamper and Weejums turn up OK in future chapters.
Spoiler alert (I read ahead); it’s a happily-ever-after story.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here's a corrected version of Chapter 3, with cupola pronounced correctly (or as near as I could get it; the word feels weird rolling off my tongue, but I hope that isn't obvious).

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/alleycatskitten_03_fuller_128kb.mp3 (length has increased to 14:34)

Because the word appears in 8 places, I've made a list of the full phrases that I re-recorded, with approximate times, so that spot-proof-listening isn't so onerous. Let me know if you need anything more/different.
  • “And I’ll put Dulcie in the cupola” @ 5:05
  • “The cupola had a top that came off” @ 5:09
  • “and Dulcie heard him from the cupola” @ 6:10
  • “Your old cupola door ain’t big enough for her to get out at.” @ 6:18
  • “but they’ll never be able to get into that cupola after they’ve had their dinner” @ 6:52
  • “said Franklin, taking the cupola off the house.” @ 7:13
  • “Franklin ruled out a larger door in the cupola with his square,” @ 7:22
  • “peering through the opening where the cupola had been.” @ 7:38
Apologies for the extra work.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ahinsa

Post by ahinsa »

Hi philchenevert,

Here are the links for Chapter 5 & 6.

Chapter 5 - https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/alleycatskitten_05_fuller_128kb.mp3
Size: 17.9 mb
Duration: 18:40

Chapter 6 - https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/alleycatskitten_06_fuller_128kb.mp3
Size: 16.3 mb
Duration: 17:01

regards,
ahinsa
loon

Post by loon »

Winnifred wrote: September 27th, 2022, 10:13 pm Here's a corrected version of Chapter 3, with cupola pronounced correctly (or as near as I could get it; the word feels weird rolling off my tongue, but I hope that isn't obvious).
I suspect that word was much more common in 1904 than it is today. Now-a-days we would just say 'architectural doodad'.

You did a great job with your edits - the volume, pacing, basic pitch in your voice, etc. all matched with your original recording (to the point where I couldn't tell if you dropped in just the words or whole phrases). That's what we aim for in editing, but it doesn't always work out so well.

PL OK. The chapter length is updated in the Magic Window.
loon

Post by loon »

Ahinsa -

In the introduction you didn't need to read "Chapter 5 - Mr. and Mrs. Blueberry" - just "Mr. and Mrs. Blueberry" would have been enough. But that choice is up to you, so the way you read it is OK.

At ~14:23 there is a missed edit. You read "Now put them aside - now put them on the table" - the false start "Now put them aside" should be removed.

Everything else in this chapter is just fine.

I have a morning meeting, so I'll listen to chapter 6 a bit later.
loon

Post by loon »

Ahinsa -
There is another missed edit in this chapter.
At ~15:21 you say "'Seek - seek,' Franklin said again. 'Seek - seek,' Franklin said again." Please remove one of those.

You also need to adjust the silences at the very beginning and end of the chapter. There should not be any more than 1 second before you speak at the start, so please trim a bit off the beginning - perhaps 1/4 second less. The silence at the end should be at least 5 seconds (but never ever more than 10); you will need to add about 1 second of silence to the end.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

loon wrote: September 28th, 2022, 3:09 am You did a great job with your edits - the volume, pacing, basic pitch in your voice, etc. all matched with your original recording (to the point where I couldn't tell if you dropped in just the words or whole phrases). That's what we aim for in editing, but it doesn't always work out so well.
Thanks! I rerecorded phrases in all cases, as it would have been impossible to drop in just the one word because it was always closely surrounded by other sounds. I listen carefully to each phrase before I rerecord it, so I can mimic the volume, pacing, pitch, etc. I’m glad to hear that it works!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ahinsa

Post by ahinsa »

loon wrote: September 28th, 2022, 5:17 am
Ahinsa -

In the introduction you didn't need to read "Chapter 5 - Mr. and Mrs. Blueberry" - just "Mr. and Mrs. Blueberry" would have been enough. But that choice is up to you, so the way you read it is OK.

At ~14:23 there is a missed edit. You read "Now put them aside - now put them on the table" - the false start "Now put them aside" should be removed.

Everything else in this chapter is just fine.

I have a morning meeting, so I'll listen to chapter 6 a bit later.
Hi Loon,

Updated and corrected Chapter 5 - https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/alleycatskitten_05_fuller_128kb.mp3

Missed edit corrected.
Removed "Chapter 5" repeat in the intro
Corrected the silence in the end which was less than 5 seconds earlier

cheers