[COMPLETE] State of the Union Addresses 1953-1963 (Eisenhower, Kennedy) - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents (1953 - 1963), by John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963) and Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/state-of-the-union-addresses-1953-1963/

Volunteers outside the USA: John F. Kennedy died in 1963. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Volunteers outside the USA: Dwight D. Eisenhower died in 1969. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
The State of the Union address is a speech presented by the President of the United States to a joint session of the United States Congress, typically delivered annually. The address not only reports on the condition of the nation but also allows the President to outline his legislative agenda (for which he needs the cooperation of Congress) and national priorities. This album contains recordings of addresses from Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy. (Summary by Wikipedia)
This is the 21st out of 26 projects. Prior addresses are found here: https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5050

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special - Please follow text while PLing. I'm not looking for word perfect. The language is sometimes awkward and following the text will help identify errors which the ear alone may not find.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents (1953-1963). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "[section title: President and date of address]"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents (1953-1963)."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: stateoftheunion19531963_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. stateoftheunion19531963_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The next one in order is Truman, but he died late enough that he's not PD for me, so I'm skipping him for now. Someone in the States will have to BC him and all the volumes after this one. :?

Proof-listener willing to follow along with the text, welcome!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 9, please.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're in!
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Section 12 please…

BettyB
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Done!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! PL probably tomorrow. :)
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

I'll take section 10, JFK, 1961
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Claim entered. Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 9:

"For my part, I should like, first, to express to you of the Congress, my appreciation of your devotion to the common good and your friendship over these difficult years. I will carry with me pleasant memories of this association in endeavors profoundly significant to all our people." If only such bipartisanship existed today.

5:46 - "During the 1956 Suez Crisis" - I hear "Since"

31:42 - "450 new navigation flood control and multiple purpose projects" I hear "multi-purpose projects" (or maybe this is comparable in meaning, so it doesn't matter?)

32:37 - "After years of negotiation" - I hear "After 4 years"

46:44 - You say (and text says), "the vigilant guarding of civil and social fights." I bet this is supposed to be "rights".
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: September 24th, 2022, 9:46 am Section 9:

"For my part, I should like, first, to express to you of the Congress, my appreciation of your devotion to the common good and your friendship over these difficult years. I will carry with me pleasant memories of this association in endeavors profoundly significant to all our people." If only such bipartisanship existed today.

5:46 - "During the 1956 Suez Crisis" - I hear "Since"

31:42 - "450 new navigation flood control and multiple purpose projects" I hear "multi-purpose projects" (or maybe this is comparable in meaning, so it doesn't matter?)

32:37 - "After years of negotiation" - I hear "After 4 years"

46:44 - You say (and text says), "the vigilant guarding of civil and social fights." I bet this is supposed to be "rights".
Thank you.

I think you're right about fights/rights. I meant to check another source to make sure and simply forgot.

"If only such bipartisanship existed today." Yes, those were better times in some ways, though President Eisenhower did have something of a rough time with the Congress. He paints a nice picture.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 9 corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/stateoftheunion19531963_09_various_128kb.mp3 (48:40)

You were right, of course, about fights/rights.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks - PL OK!
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

May I read Section 11, JFK 1962?

Tina