COMPLETE[GROUP] American Indian Stories by Zitkala-Sa - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

American Indian Stories, by Zitkala-Sa (1876 - 1938)
Tales of Dakota Sioux Native American Zitkala-Sa. These tales weave childhood memories and Native American Lore to paint an origin story of a female Native American activist rising. (Summary by afutterer)
This project is complete. Audio files may be found on our Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/american-indian-stories-by-zitkala-sa/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10376

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
I will PL this work.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: kUlzavqK
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zitkala-Sa (Zitkala-Sa)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_Stories
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1921
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Short Stories/Single Author Collections

Keywords that describe the book: short stories, Native American, autobiographical, dakota sioux, allegorical fiction

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of American Indian Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "American Indian Stories, by Zitkala-Sa. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of American Indian Stories, by Zitkala-Sa."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: americanindianstories_##_zitkalasa_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. americanindianstories_01_zitkalasa_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by afutterer on August 31st, 2022, 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can set this up and MC for you.

EDIT: MW ready for you.

Thanks, Todd
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Thanks Todd! I will get right on it!
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Ready to go live.
Anthony

yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

I'd like to claim the following section, if I may:

8 A Dream of Her Grandfather ~ 638 Words Open

Thank you,
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

yourbookvoice wrote: August 16th, 2022, 4:05 pm I'd like to claim the following section, if I may:

Thank you,
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
All yours. Thanks again Kerry!
Anthony

yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

afutterer wrote: August 16th, 2022, 5:56 pm
yourbookvoice wrote: August 16th, 2022, 4:05 pm I'd like to claim the following section, if I may:

Thank you,
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
All yours. Thanks again Kerry!
You are more than welcome. I am so glad to be a part of this project. Be of good cheer.. KLA
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

May I claim "Impressions of an Indian Childhood"?

A few questions:
1. Do you know of any guidance for pronunciation of the Sioux names (including the author's)? I'll look around, but I wasn't sure if there was something you had already found.
2. How would you like the subdivisions handled (e.g., "Part 1, My Mother"? "1, My Mother")?
3. I don't know whether this section has any footnotes, but I did see one footnote in the Indian teacher section. How would you like those handled?

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

stepheather wrote: August 20th, 2022, 6:15 pm May I claim "Impressions of an Indian Childhood"?

A few questions:
1. Do you know of any guidance for pronunciation of the Sioux names (including the author's)? I'll look around, but I wasn't sure if there was something you had already found.
2. How would you like the subdivisions handled (e.g., "Part 1, My Mother"? "1, My Mother")?
3. I don't know whether this section has any footnotes, but I did see one footnote in the Indian teacher section. How would you like those handled?

Thanks,
Stephanie
Here's what I've found so far for the pronunciation:
http://www.native-languages.org/lakota_guide.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zitkala-Sa

I think that means the author's name would be pronounced zeet KAH lah SHAH. (I don't know all the proper linguistic symbols; I wish I did!)

Anyway, any guidance here would be appreciated. Now I'll go do the things I'm supposed to be doing this Sunday!

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Hi Stephanie. Thanks again for helping out on this work.

Unfortunately I do not have any real guidance to give on pronunciation. I have seen some authors give some guidance in their writings, but this one did not appear to do that for us. :( I will usually just check google for pronunciation of a word and can usually find something in google translate or youtube that will pop up. Though I am normally looking up Latin or French words. Sometimes you get really lucky and an entire guide or story excerpt will come up! I think the guidance you found is wonderful! It is important that you understand how I am approaching this project I believe.
This project is a group work, for group works I find it is far too difficult to specify pronunciations of any language, even English. We have volunteers that come from all areas of the world and have dialects and accents that I have never even heard before. No matter what the pronunciation may be, it is virtually impossible that all the readers would read them the same. I love that about this place. I will sometimes specify pronunciation in solo works, but even then I think it is subjected to the readers ability to comply. Some mouths just cannot form some annunciations.
I truly treasure when I find readers that are like yourself, and really want to get it right. I love the Native American languages and wish I could speak any of them myself. I am instead just a lover of the work and have a strong desire to spread this wealth of knowledge to others that care to listen. What I would like you to take away from this message is this;
Please do the best you can with what you've got and understand that I do not want you to put undue pressures on yourself to get it perfect. Most people, like myself, could try to properly pronounce, bit the accent could be spotted from a mile away. Wrong annunciation, point of inflection, pausing...etc. So don't stress! Just do the best you can with what you've got. This work is being PL'd as standard, not word perfect, so I will not be correcting any language details.
I hope this is ok and you are still interested in helping me out. It is truly wonderful to have people like you at Librivox. What a gift you bring to others!
Anthony

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

afutterer wrote: August 21st, 2022, 6:50 pm Hi Stephanie. Thanks again for helping out on this work.

Unfortunately I do not have any real guidance to give on pronunciation. I have seen some authors give some guidance in their writings, but this one did not appear to do that for us. :( I will usually just check google for pronunciation of a word and can usually find something in google translate or youtube that will pop up. Though I am normally looking up Latin or French words. Sometimes you get really lucky and an entire guide or story excerpt will come up! I think the guidance you found is wonderful! It is important that you understand how I am approaching this project I believe.
This project is a group work, for group works I find it is far too difficult to specify pronunciations of any language, even English. We have volunteers that come from all areas of the world and have dialects and accents that I have never even heard before. No matter what the pronunciation may be, it is virtually impossible that all the readers would read them the same. I love that about this place. I will sometimes specify pronunciation in solo works, but even then I think it is subjected to the readers ability to comply. Some mouths just cannot form some annunciations.
I truly treasure when I find readers that are like yourself, and really want to get it right. I love the Native American languages and wish I could speak any of them myself. I am instead just a lover of the work and have a strong desire to spread this wealth of knowledge to others that care to listen. What I would like you to take away from this message is this;
Please do the best you can with what you've got and understand that I do not want you to put undue pressures on yourself to get it perfect. Most people, like myself, could try to properly pronounce, bit the accent could be spotted from a mile away. Wrong annunciation, point of inflection, pausing...etc. So don't stress! Just do the best you can with what you've got. This work is being PL'd as standard, not word perfect, so I will not be correcting any language details.
I hope this is ok and you are still interested in helping me out. It is truly wonderful to have people like you at Librivox. What a gift you bring to others!
I’ll definitely still help. I actually understand about accents in languages—I’m trying to learn three here in India and…well…I’m trying. :help:

I’ll go with the resources I found and relax knowing that I’m just doing the best I can!

May I claim Section 1? Or would you prefer I start with a shorter section?

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

stepheather wrote: August 21st, 2022, 7:28 pm
I’ll definitely still help. I actually understand about accents in languages—I’m trying to learn three here in India and…well…I’m trying. :help:

I’ll go with the resources I found and relax knowing that I’m just doing the best I can!

May I claim Section 1? Or would you prefer I start with a shorter section?

Thanks,
Stephanie
Thank you Stephanie. I am happy to have you. I feel your pain on languages. That is not my thing. My sister speaks 7 of them. I speak one, and even that is spotty. :lol: I got the math nerd gene in the family.

I am good with you taking whatever section you would like. I will post you for section 1 and I know you will do just fine. No worries at all.
Anthony

rdicarlo

Post by rdicarlo »

Hello!

May I claim sections 4 and 6?

Thank you. :)
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

rdicarlo wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 11:48 am Hello!

May I claim sections 4 and 6?

Thank you. :)
I would be happy to assign these to you. It looks like you have passed your test recording already. Thank you for doing that right away. I just have to add you as a reader now. So I need a few answers from you.

your Username is "rdicarlo"
What would you like your display name to be for your readings? This can be the same as your Username, or it can be your real name or something like that. Please advise.
Also, do you have a website that you would like to link to your profile?

These answers will allow me to add you to the reader of Librivox database. It will then be active for any readings you do, in this project or otherwise. I believe it can be edited later if needed, but I think that has to be done by Admin.

Thanks. I will hold the sections for now so no-one else takes them before you get back to me.
Anthony

rdicarlo

Post by rdicarlo »

Hi, thank you for your reply!

My display name could be my full name, Raffaele Di Carlo, or something like R. Di Carlo or even just the initials, whichever is more suitable.
I don't have a website, but thanks for the offer.

Looking forward to my first two readings!