[COMPLETE] Dr. Hackensaw's Secrets by Clement Fezandie - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

harithaha121 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 7:00 pm I'd like to do "The Secret of the Earthquake" if that's still open? Thanks!
Yes indeed, section 16 is still open and I have assigned it to you.

HOWEVER, before you begin, please go to the 1-minute test forum viewforum.php?f=21 and post your test recording. This is not an audition - it is to ensure that you have all of the technical specifications correct and your recording meets Librivox technical requirements.

If you post here once you upload your 1-minute test, I'll pop over and listen so you get quick feedback on it.

Also, please let me know how you would like to be listed in the catalog. It can be your forum name, your real name, or anything you like.

EDIT: You have passed your 1-minute test! Welcome to the team. Your reader page is here https://librivox.org/reader/17629, where you can find information about all of your assigned readings. I have registered your name as "Haritha" in the catalog - let me know if you want that changed.
Krista
harithaha121

Post by harithaha121 »

Hi Krista! I uploaded my 1 min test viewtopic.php?f=21&t=93513&p=2068931#p2068931

I prefer to be listed by my username, thanks! If possible, I'd also like to complete sections 17, 18, 30-32 The Secret of the Walking Radiobile & The Secret of the Talking Ape, The Secret of the Dream Machine, The Secret of the Gravitation Screen, and The Secret of the Microscopic Worldplease. If those are still available. Thank you so much for your consideration!!! :) :)
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

harithaha121 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 7:27 pm Hi Krista! I uploaded my 1 min test viewtopic.php?f=21&t=93513&p=2068931#p2068931

I prefer to be listed by my username, thanks! If possible, I'd also like to complete sections 17, 18, 30-32 The Secret of the Walking Radiobile & The Secret of the Talking Ape, The Secret of the Dream Machine, The Secret of the Gravitation Screen, and The Secret of the Microscopic Worldplease. If those are still available. Thank you so much for your consideration!!! :) :)
I will have an admin fix up your display name to be your username, sorry about that.

I admire your enthusiasm, but as these are your first recordings, can I ask that you limit to 2 selections at a time? You are more than welcome to claim additional recordings as you finish the earlier ones (this project is moving slowly - I suspect those sections will be open for some time yet). Recording (and editing - mostly editing) can take a lot longer than you expect, and I don't want to see you burn out before you get started. This (reading for Librivox) can be addictive (I'm completely hooked) and is a lot of fun, but it's sometimes best to start with little bites :)

Let me know which is your "top choice" from above, and I'll happily assign that to you along with section 16 to get started.

(And by the way, I approved your 1-minute test. Very nicely done :) )
Krista
harithaha121

Post by harithaha121 »

I think that's fair! I appreciate your trust— I'd like to begin with 16 and 30, please. You're right, I anticipate edits can take quite some time.

And thank you so much for approving!! I appreciate that lots.
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

harithaha121 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 7:44 pm I think that's fair! I appreciate your trust— I'd like to begin with 16 and 30, please. You're right, I anticipate edits can take quite some time.

And thank you so much for approving!! I appreciate that lots.
Section 30 is yours. If you run into any issues or questions, just ask :)
Krista
harithaha121

Post by harithaha121 »

Here is section 16, The Secret of the Earthquake: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/drhackensawssecrets_16_fezandie_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if there is anything in particular I should pay attention to when rerecording. Thanks!
harithaha121

Post by harithaha121 »

Here is my reading of Section 30! Please let me know where I can improve. Thank you!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/drhackensawssecrets_30_fezandie_128kb.mp3
WallaceMorgan

Post by WallaceMorgan »

I request to read section 18. :D
Wallace Leo Morgan III
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

WallaceMorgan wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 1:30 pm I request to read section 18. :D
Section 18 is yours :)
Krista
WallaceMorgan

Post by WallaceMorgan »

any tips on how to capture and print the text?
Wallace Leo Morgan III
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

WallaceMorgan wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 1:58 pm any tips on how to capture and print the text?
Not really. These are all PDF scans which makes copying text a challenge. You may find this link more friendly than Hathitrust
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Electrical-Experimenter/SI-1923-07.pdf

I can highlight text there, or print full pages of the PDF.
Krista
WallaceMorgan

Post by WallaceMorgan »

ok thanks that work much better thanks you! :clap:
Wallace Leo Morgan III
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

WallaceMorgan wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 2:12 pm ok thanks that work much better thanks you! :clap:
Great! I've updated the link to point to that copy for consistency.
Krista
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Thank you for this lovely reading. Just a couple of notes:

3:35 - missing line "What is it like, inquired the young lady. It's not like anything" returned the doctor. It is altogether different"
17:12 - I hear "the sounds were particularly doubled ", text says "the sounds were practically doubled"
Krista
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

harithaha121 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 10:01 pm Here is section 16, The Secret of the Earthquake: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/drhackensawssecrets_16_fezandie_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if there is anything in particular I should pay attention to when rerecording. Thanks!
Thank you very much for this reading. Overall, it was quite well done. There are just a few notes:

2:02 - I hear "when an eruption or volcano is menacing", text says "when an eruption or earthquake is menacing"
4:44 - I hear "from the salt left as a residue I could contain", text says "from the salt left as a residue, I could obtain"
5:21 - I hear "you forget that I have stored up the energy", text says "you forget that I have the stored-up energy
5:29 - I hear "to run all the runways", text says "to run all the railways"
6:29 - I hear "so far I have only spoken of you", text says "so far I have only spoken to you"
7:46 - missing content. From "The New York Daily Growl" to "Oh, a reporter can always manage" there are 2 missing paragraphs. Bottom of page 81 in the magazine.
11:12 - I hear "within a month's time", text says "within a few month's time"
11:39 - stumble, I hear "venu- venture"
11:55 -missing content. From "throw the money away" to "All's settled, Silas", several paragraphs are missing. Top of page 83.
13:57, I hear "world at large will thus will be thus able", text says "world at large will thus will be thus able"
15:48 - I hear "end of section", it should be "end of section 16"

There are a few other stumbles, which I did not identify as they are not severe enough to interfere with the reader's enjoyment. However, it is something to be watchful of. I often re-record sentences when I stumble or hesitate over pronunciation, and then go back during my edit and remove the first attempt.

This was a very nice first reading. Do ask questions, if you have any issues with the editing process.
Krista