[COMPLETE][Gothic Fiction]Tales and Stories by Mary Shelley - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

lbleath wrote: July 1st, 2022, 3:01 pm May I record section 13, The Invisible Girl?
CadenB wrote: July 1st, 2022, 5:12 pm Hi, may I please claim section 20: The Elder Son Part 1? Thank you!
CadenB
You're both assigned! Have fun!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Khiolani wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 1:21 am https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/talesandstories_02_shelley_128k.mp3

Hi, this is my first project, I have a feeling I will need to record it over.
Duration is 38:13 Sisters of Albano
I would appreciate any feedback on style, everything!
I had a problem with volume, could you help me to correct it?
thank you!

Also it was listed as Section 2 but it was the first story in the book?
It looks like the volume is ok (88db) actually according to Checker, listening to it though, it does sound like it has been overprocessed. What effects did you apply to the raw file after recording?
Khiolani

Post by Khiolani »

Hello, There was a loud fan sound in the background so I had to do a lot of noise reduction on it. What would you suggest I do to it to make it sound better?
Do I need to re-record it?

Was the way that I read it ok?

Also do I still call the story section 2 even though it's story 1?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Khiolani wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 2:21 pm Hello, There was a loud fan sound in the background so I had to do a lot of noise reduction on it. What would you suggest I do to it to make it sound better?
Well, I know asking to re-record would be super annoying. Do you still have the raw file itself or have you saved the project after the noise reduction was done? If you still have the raw recording, there may be some different things you could try.
Was the way that I read it ok?
Yes! The reading itself was fine.
Also do I still call the story section 2 even though it's story 1?
Correct. Section 1 is the Introduction.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Khiolani wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 2:21 pmThere was a loud fan sound in the background so I had to do a lot of noise reduction on it. What would you suggest I do to it to make it sound better?
we very rarely ask to re-record, and I had a listen to sample parts of your file just now and I don't think it warrants the extra work. To me the sound is not corrupted and very clear to understand. There might have been some overprocessing from the noise reduction though and I think the fan only started much later in the recording and maybe you took a wrong noise sample to work with.

Do you use Audacity ? The numbers in the noise-cleaning process should not be too high, that's too aggressive to reduce and might corrupt the audio if applied too often. Could you tell us the exact step-by-step you did as well as the numbers you used ?

Also, like Ben suggested, if you still have the raw file you could send that one in so we can have a look what happened and how to improve it. I think there may be a high chance we could help if the issue is only the loud fan.

Another thing to watch out for is the volume. If your initial recording is too loud you are risking clipping which might deteriotate the audio as well.

Not something you need to re-record for, but hints for future sections :)

Sonia
Khiolani

Post by Khiolani »

No I don't still have the raw recording. I believe I had the noise reduction level to 10. The fan was pretty loud but I'm working on that.
I've been looking at more YouTube videos and I will keep practicing.
I might try and re-record it.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Khiolani wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 5:35 am No I don't still have the raw recording. I believe I had the noise reduction level to 10. The fan was pretty loud but I'm working on that.
I've been looking at more YouTube videos and I will keep practicing.
I might try and re-record it.
Like Sonia said, it isn't necessary to re-record unless you really want to. If you do and you still have the loud fan in the background, or for future reference, when you take the Noise Profile for the Noise Reduction, make sure the profile is on a section of the audio clip that only has the loud fan (I usually take it on the five seconds of silence at the end of the file). Of course, if you can find a place to record without the fan that would ideal, but I know circumstances don't always allow for the ideal. :)
Khiolani

Post by Khiolani »

Hi, I think this one is much better, please let me know what you think

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/talesandstories_02_shelley_128kb.mp3

Section 2: Sisters of Albano, Audacity , length: 39:40
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Khiolani wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 11:07 pm Hi, I think this one is much better, please let me know what you think

Oh yes! That sounds much better! Thank you! You are queued for PL!
msfry

Post by msfry »

I would like to claim Section 6, The Mourner, but it may be a few weeks before I can get to it. I read the first few pages and was mesmerized.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: July 4th, 2022, 9:28 am I would like to claim Section 6, The Mourner, but it may be a few weeks before I can get to it. I read the first few pages and was mesmerized.
Sure thing! Welcome to the Mary Shelley club!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Khiolani wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 11:07 pm Hi, I think this one is much better, please let me know what you think

Section 2 notes. Excellent first project! Your accent is perfection itself! Very engaging reading! Just 3 notes (which is a tremendous feat for so lengthy a piece):
Shorten beginning silence to .5- 1 second
0:01 should be "Section 2 of Tales and Stories"; I heard "Section 2 The Sisters of Albano"
25:05 should be "Despair inspired the nun with courage"; I heard "Despair inspired the sun with courage"
Thanks!
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

flavo5000 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:47 pm Section 1 is ready for PL!
Beautifully done! Section 1 just 2 notes:
missing sentences
4:24 "pining widowhood ... the final dissolution of the world. The" before "languor..."
5:51 should be "pervading nobility of thought"; I heard "pervading nobility or thought"
Thanks!
Christine
catofalltrades

Post by catofalltrades »

Hello, may I please claim section 19, Euphrasia, pending approval of my 1 minutes test?

Thank you.