COMPLETE: Dreams Collection #3 - Stories and Poems, by Various -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LeeVogler

Post by LeeVogler »

LeeVogler

Post by LeeVogler »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Lee. Two nice poems added to the collection. Only one issue for you to attend to on both poems -- delete the long disclaimer from the Intro and notate the new times. For poems we just use the short disclaimer at the end, which you have also included.

While you are at it, please rename your Poe file to just say "poe" for the author's name, not "apoe".
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lee, your Intros on both poems are still not right. Red is missing:

Title, by Author, read/recorded for Dreams Collection 3, by (your name, location, web address, date, etc. if desired).
"Title, Author, then read the poem"
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Lee, your poems are PL OK! :D :D
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

The Everly Brothers are singing in the background. Deam, dream, dream.

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/dreams3_acuriousdream_twain_plm_128kb.mp3
Length: 00:26:05
Title: A Curious Dream
Author: Mark Twain (1835–1910)
Source: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3189/3189-0.txt
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes A Curious Dream

This is one of my favorite dream stories, and you did a great job dramatizing that poor depressed skeleton! Here are some notes:

After the intro, there is lots of background noise in the speaking parts, but none in the spaces, which gets louder as the story progresses. I'm not sure what causes this. Maybe our MC could take a listen and give some idea how to correct for future recordings, or who we could ask. As to this file:

17:45 repeat "Now I don't complain, but confidentially"
21:15 "about as comfortable as any receptacle of her species you ever tried", extremely loud peak, at about 96 db. This phrase would benefit by Amplify -5 to blend in with adjacent text.
22:06 All the boys are going. All is garbled.
24:08 and 24:16-27 " more extremely loud peaks at about 99 db. These phrases would benefit by Amplify -7 to blend in with adjacent text. If you can see the expanded wave form you can easily select these.
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Michele, I checked several times for comments but never found any. I found your comments by luck just now. I'll see what I can do and will resubmit.

Paula
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks. I don't see a link to the text you read from, just a Wikipedia page.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 1st, 2022, 7:50 pm Thanks. I don't see a link to the text you read from, just a Wikipedia page.
Sorry!
The link: https://ebible.org/pdf/eng-asv/eng-asv_DAN.pdf
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Neb's Dream is PL OK. A crazy tale. Thoroughly creepy that the King was ready to off all the wise men around him who couldn't remember the dream he couldn't remember either! And that none of them, until Daniel, was wise enough to just make something up!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thanks for the prompt PLing!

Here's an extra tidbit from Wikipedia:
Feet of clay is an idiom used to refer to a weakness or character flaw, especially in people of prominence and power. It can also be used to refer to larger groups, such as societies, businesses, and empires. An entity with feet of clay may appear powerful and unstoppable, but they cannot support their splendor, and will easily be knocked over.

The phrase originates from the Book of Daniel in the Bible. In it, Daniel interprets a dream of King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. In that dream, a magnificent statue is seen with a head of gold, but weaker and less valuable metals beneath, until finally having feet of clay mixed with iron. Daniel predicts that the glorious statue shall be smashed by a stone into pieces, like chaff on the threshing floor, and blown to the winds. The image of the expensive statue laid low has resonated as an analogy for seemingly powerful figures with substantial weaknesses.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison