COMPLETE Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

sierasimone wrote: May 16th, 2022, 9:05 pm Section #68, updated version!
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/slavenarrativesvol11pt1_68_various_128kb.mp3
5:38

What an honor to read. Thanks!
Thank you!
MW updated, and this is Ready for Spot PL
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

Do you prefer that I do not do any more reading of the Slave Narratives? Is there something that you'd rather I do than recording? I was enjoying it, but all good things come to an end especially if your voice sucks! Maybe this wasn't meant for me to do. I don't know what your thoughts are.

Carol/Nammy
Some people think holding on is tough; sometimes it's letting go.
DLBlair

Post by DLBlair »

Hey There! Super excited that the very first two went through PL without a hitch.

M,
I appreciate the feedback and I will for sure take to implement your suggestions for the next read. Thank You very much! As, someone just getting started the feedback is greatly appreciated.

I would like to read section #13, next, Vinnie Baker.

Thanks, looking forward to doing more reads, here.

~ D.L.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DLBlair wrote: May 17th, 2022, 5:51 pm
I would like to read section #13, next, Vinnie Baker.

Thanks, looking forward to doing more reads, here.

~ D.L.
I've put you in for this.
Glad to have you aboard :thumbs:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Nammy wrote: May 17th, 2022, 12:25 pm Do you prefer that I do not do any more reading of the Slave Narratives? Is there something that you'd rather I do than recording? I was enjoying it, but all good things come to an end especially if your voice sucks! Maybe this wasn't meant for me to do. I don't know what your thoughts are.

Carol/Nammy
Hi, Carol --
My thoughts are ---- ratta-tat-tat --- keep recording!
There is nothing wrong with your voice, and I think actually well suited to these narratives.
ALL voices, accents and styles of reading are welcome here at LibriVox anyway! It is part of what makes up the beautiful mosaic the we value so much here.

Now, if you want to try other aspects of the LV experience, you are certainly welcome. We are always looking for good proof listeners. It does require enough knowledge of the tech requirements and how to advise readers on necessary corrections when needed. And, at some point you might like to be a book coordinator for a project. It's a big leap and undertaking, but can be enjoyable. I have a couple hundred projects under my belt at this point. Maybe there is a book you would like to record as a solo. Even just posting greetings to new members can be helpful.

But, for this project, go ahead and select some more narratives to record if you like. :)
~ Larry
EricJohnson

Post by EricJohnson »

Okay Section 64 Robert Glenn, read by Eric Johnson

Thank you for letting me participate.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/slavenarrativesvol11pt1_64_robertglenn_128kb.mp3
DLBlair

Post by DLBlair »

Thank You Larry, for the welcome aboard! I saw that section #13, V. Baker, has been assigned in the magic window. Thanks!

Also, can you add me for section #24, Herndon Bogan. My apologies, I intended to ask for this when I requested the previous section. If it is still available I would love to read this section, as well.

~ D.L.
Last edited by DLBlair on May 18th, 2022, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

Thanks for taking the time to give me some great advice. Every now and then I wonder if I'm doing the right thing or doing it good enough! I'm probably trying too hard, but LibriVox is such a great opportunity for everyone. All experiences are good. We never learn enough, and I hope I never stop learning new skills. I enjoy helping out especially since the last few years, I've been housebound with agoraphobia!

I don't think that's an excuse for not helping people because there seems to always be something we can contribute. It's just a matter of finding out what that is. This is great for people who have social phobias and/or depression and anxiety!

It's hard for me to commit to something because I'm unsure of how long my health will let me do it. I can change on a dime so I don't want to start what I can't finish. I could be the "Wal-Mart" greeter to new members. I can smile and hand them the link to Phil's videos! LOL

I wouldn't mind doing a whole book, but that is a big commitment. I know how much work that entails. As far as being a listener, I'm not sure what to look for. Most of these readers have been doing this a while and probably don't need a whole lot of instructions except for the little things that slip by us. I could probably do that and give them encouragement like you do! :D Everyone here is so good at what they do, for me, it's like starting a new job which I never wanted to do again!

Thanks again, Larry. Your advice means a lot to me!

Carol/Nammy

P.S. As you know, I really enjoy children's books. I had thought of doing a YouTube channel for kids stories, but it's difficult to keep the attention of children. An audio book to put to bed with them might lull them to sleep.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Nammy wrote: May 18th, 2022, 12:05 pm Thanks for taking the time to give me some great advice. Every now and then I wonder if I'm doing the right thing or doing it good enough! I'm probably trying too hard, but LibriVox is such a great opportunity for everyone. All experiences are good. We never learn enough, and I hope I never stop learning new skills. I enjoy helping out especially since the last few years, I've been housebound with agoraphobia!

I don't think that's an excuse for not helping people because there seems to always be something we can contribute. It's just a matter of finding out what that is. This is great for people who have social phobias and/or depression and anxiety!

It's hard for me to commit to something because I'm unsure of how long my health will let me do it. I can change on a dime so I don't want to start what I can't finish. I could be the "Wal-Mart" greeter to new members. I can smile and hand them the link to Phil's videos! LOL

I wouldn't mind doing a whole book, but that is a big commitment. I know how much work that entails. As far as being a listener, I'm not sure what to look for. Most of these readers have been doing this a while and probably don't need a whole lot of instructions except for the little things that slip by us. I could probably do that and give them encouragement like you do! :D Everyone here is so good at what they do, for me, it's like starting a new job which I never wanted to do again!

Thanks again, Larry. Your advice means a lot to me!

Carol/Nammy

P.S. As you know, I really enjoy children's books. I had thought of doing a YouTube channel for kids stories, but it's difficult to keep the attention of children. An audio book to put to bed with them might lull them to sleep.
I second Larry's comments. Your voice has been just fine and you have done a good job representing the voices of the individuals whose stories you have read.

If you want to do a whole book as a solo project but don't want one with a huge time commitment try a children's book, at the younger end of the spectrum as they tend to be shorter.

As for doing some listening just find a project that needs a DPL, volunteer for it and jump right in. Everybody here is very helpful and is willing to help out with questions. There are a some pages here that discuss what a DPL looks for when listening. Sorry for not including the links here but my internet connection is really poor and it will take me a long time to get to the right page.

I've found LibriVox valuable. In addition to learning new things, it has also pushed me outside my comfort zone. I've always hated my voice so this was a big challenge for me to feel comfortable enough to record something for anyone in the world to listen to.

I hope your health holds up/improves and I would be glad to listen to more of your recordings here. Don't worry if you make mistakes, we all make them - that is what the DPL is for.

Let me know if you have any questions.

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

sierasimone wrote: May 16th, 2022, 9:05 pm Section #68, updated version!
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/slavenarrativesvol11pt1_68_various_128kb.mp3
5:38

What an honor to read. Thanks!
This is now PL OK.

THanks,

M
LangeM

Post by LangeM »

Hi there,
I'd like to take 24, 29 and 30 please.
Best, Margaret
Peas and Lovage
Damiand7

Post by Damiand7 »

I'd like to read section 45: Jerry Davis
J.Damian.... I can hear the smile in your voice and it's beautiful
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

That's sweet, Mleigh and very helpful! I hate my voice because I sound like I'm three years old instead of 69! I do love using it on telemarketers and telling them that I am only three and have been left here all alone! I have told them so many stories that I'll probably burn for them, but it's a hoot! Some of them are so dumb, they believe anything. They've been calling for months for me to give them money so I can win my prize from Publisher's Clearing House which I never sent in for! I'm getting a yellow Lincoln too! LOL

I love to sing, and I can reach the high notes, but it's just not a good singing voice. My mother thought it was, of course! I did belong to a chorus, but I couldn't take the pain of the two-hour rehearsals standing on the bleachers. I loved that, but my back and knees didn't!

I think I'd love doing children's books! You're right they are short, and I can really put personality into them. I used to ready to my great-nephew and great-niece, and it was so much fun to be cuddled beside them! I never had children of my own, and it made me realize the joy that I've missed. Now one is in college, and I haven't seen them in years. They live about six miles away which is so sad!

Sorry for talking too much. Larry had to tell me to not do that. I love to swim so I think I'll jump into the water and sink or swim!

Thanks!
Carol
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Carol,
Thanks for sharing. I have some more things for you, but I'm going to move this to PM's so we don't clutter up the forum with our chatter. So, look for a private message from me soon.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

EricJohnson wrote: May 18th, 2022, 11:35 am Okay Section 64 Robert Glenn, read by Eric Johnson

Thank you for letting me participate.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/slavenarrativesvol11pt1_64_robertglenn_128kb.mp3
Well, I hadn't heard back from you, unless I missed it, so I hadn't assigned you this section yet.
So, I've added you to the LV catalog under your full name, Eric Johnson. If you want to be credited otherwise, just let me know. We do like to have the file length provided when you post a link, but I have added that for you and just did a quick check. The specs are fine and the sample of your reading sounds great. I think you will need add some extra silence at the end, but our DPL will give you a full report and let you know.

Thanks so much for your interest in this project.
~ Larry