[COMPLETE][GROUP][Geography]Father Thames, by Walter Higgins - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

adrianstephens wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 5:08 am May I read 25,26,28,29,31?
I used to live in Maidenhead (section 25) and have happy memories of Boulter's lock there.
Certainly! Welcome to the project :)
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Rjricha888 wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 6:04 am May I claim Chapters 19, 20 and 26?
I am happy to let you have 19 and 20. 26 was previously claimed.

Welcome to the project :)
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

KevinS wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 6:50 am Section 30

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_30_higgins_128kb.mp3 (5:49)
Very nicely read, Kevin.

I get the feeling the author ran short of things to say and so resorted to quoting others: a technique I used often what at school :lol:

PL Okay :thumbs:
Jim in Ohio

nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Happy to report I've uploaded section 9 to Kitty:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_9_higgins_128kb.mp3 duration 8:48

I have acquired a microphone, and in the process I remembered that on Zoom calls I often got a warning that our built-in microphone was misbehaving... The problem would go away after a while, but that mike must have caused the interference that was plaguing my efforts for Librivox. This is the first take with the new mike. I hope it's OK. Ready to revise or do it over if there's an issue.

Noel
nhcooper
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 1:31 pm Happy to report I've uploaded section 9 to Kitty:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_9_higgins_128kb.mp3 duration 8:48

I have acquired a microphone, and in the process I remembered that on Zoom calls I often got a warning that our built-in microphone was misbehaving... The problem would go away after a while, but that mike must have caused the interference that was plaguing my efforts for Librivox. This is the first take with the new mike. I hope it's OK. Ready to revise or do it over if there's an issue.

Noel
nhcooper
Aha - let's keep our fingers crossed!

Queued for PL
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 1:31 pm Happy to report I've uploaded section 9 to Kitty:

Noel
nhcooper
That was much better :D

Just one small change. Please rename the file to 09 instead of just 9 and reupload.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim in Ohio

nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 6:20 pm Hope this works

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_09_higgins_128kb.mp3

N
Perfect :thumbs:

PL Okay
Jim in Ohio

nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Jim, I guess I'll ask to read section 2, please. Not many takers for the downstream chapters!
Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

I meant chapter 2, section 03. Sorry.

Any preference on the pronunciation of "ribald." Some sites say the Brits pronounce it rye-bald; others vote for ríb-ald, or say that's the American pronunciation. I vote for rib-ald. OK?

Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
skvm20

Post by skvm20 »

I posted a request on the 19th for section 2 but haven't heard anything. Am I doing this wrong?
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

skvm20 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 8:33 am I posted a request on the 19th for section 2 but haven't heard anything. Am I doing this wrong?
Sorry, I must have overlooked it :oops:

Of course you may have it.
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 8:06 am I meant chapter 2, section 03. Sorry.

Any preference on the pronunciation of "ribald." Some sites say the Brits pronounce it rye-bald; others vote for ríb-ald, or say that's the American pronunciation. I vote for rib-ald. OK?

Noel
Section 3 is yours, if that is what you meant. Chapter 2, Section 2 had a previous claim.

Regarding pronunciations: just be consistent with yourself. So, either would work. I had a reader switch back-and-forth between "sa-been" and "say-bine" within the same chapter of a book - that necessitated some editing. If in doubt on place names or names of characters (in a DR), you should ask, just as you did here. :)

Jim
Jim in Ohio

skvm20

Post by skvm20 »

JHedrick wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 8:37 am
skvm20 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 8:33 am I posted a request on the 19th for section 2 but haven't heard anything. Am I doing this wrong?
Sorry, I must have overlooked it :oops:

Of course you may have it.
Phew! Thought I made some sort of faux pas and was being shunned.

Thanks!
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Jim, I've done section 03 = chapter 2, the Estuary and its towns.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_03_higgins_128kb.mp3 duration 10:56

I'm not super happy with some parts of it, so if you want to ask me to re-do something, I will. It's quite different listening to it "blind" than reading along with the audio. Words like "Essex" and "wharves" aren't easy to hear when you're blind, but they seem quite understandable when I'm reading the text. So please let me know if this meets your standards.

I also want to mention what I feel is a possible source of confusion: there are three "Books" in this book, and each book re-starts the chapter numbers. So this tape is for chapter 2 of Book I, identified as section 3 in the audiobook schedule. I also read chapter 1 of Book 2 (section 09), and chapter 1 of Book 1 (section 02)

I saw a correspondent ask for "section 2" recently, but I have already recorded section two = chapter 1 of Book I. I hope you and he know what chapter he was referring to!

best regards
Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper