[COMPLETE][GROUP][Geography]Father Thames, by Walter Higgins - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Jim, may I try Section 18 Royal Westminster – The Abbey?

Noel
nhcooper
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

PatrickLondon wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:38 am I'd like to claim section 8 (The Port and the Docks) since I live there! However I note the concern about whether or not this is PD over here, and will see if I can find anything out.
Hi Patrick,

I have not been able to definitively determine when he died. However, I have been in contact with the publisher and they state that he predates their records. I feel comfortable with that, but I will leave it up to you to make your own decision. The section is still yours as far as I am concerned.

Jim
Jim in Ohio

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:23 am Jim, may I try Section 18 Royal Westminster – The Abbey?

Noel
nhcooper
You betcha!
Jim in Ohio

nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Jim, I have uploaded Section 18 about Westminster Abbey to Kitty.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_18_higgins_128kb.mp3 duration: 12:15
BUT
I think I'm going to have to do it over again. Suddenly, part way through, there are repeated ticks of what I think is static.
Can you tell me what causes it? I thought Audacity was supposed to reduce that kind of noise, so is there a button I didn't click?
Anyway, I'd appreciate your comments on what's there, and any help you can give about making it better.

Noel
nhcooper
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Peter Why wrote: January 18th, 2022, 3:57 am Here's section 7, Greenwich:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_07_higgins_128kb.mp3

(14.44)

Peter
Very enjoyable - PL Okay :thumbs:
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

paullawleyjones wrote: January 16th, 2022, 11:36 pm Title: Section 24 - Chapter Four. Reading
Length: 7:38
Size: 7.34 MB
LVU Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_24_higgins_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if the start and silences are OK. If not, I'll re-edit.
All good on the silences :clap:

PL Okay :thumbs:
Jim in Ohio

brwilliams101

Post by brwilliams101 »

JHedrick wrote: January 16th, 2022, 12:29 pm
brwilliams101 wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:55 am I would like to read the Tower of London, please

Brianna Williams
Certainly! I am always happy to have new readers join a project.

I will reserve this section for you. When claiming a section in the future, please remember to give the section number. This helps avoid mistakes by me.
I see that you have submitted your one-minute test and I recommend that you wait until it is "Okayed" before recording anything else. This is in case any adjustments need to be made.
Also, please let me know how you would like to be listed in the catalogue. You can use your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym.

Welcome to LibriVox :D
Jim

Thanks Jim - excited to be on my first project :) And noted on the section number

My 1 min test is here if needed: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90862

Also, you can add me as Brianna W.
Last edited by brwilliams101 on January 18th, 2022, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:55 pm Jim, I have uploaded Section 18 about Westminster Abbey to Kitty.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_18_higgins_128kb.mp3 duration: 12:15
BUT
I think I'm going to have to do it over again. Suddenly, part way through, there are repeated ticks of what I think is static.
Can you tell me what causes it? I thought Audacity was supposed to reduce that kind of noise, so is there a button I didn't click?
Anyway, I'd appreciate your comments on what's there, and any help you can give about making it better.

Noel
nhcooper
I fear you are correct about having to rerecord. I tried both Click Removal and De-Clicker, but to no avail. :( You may want to make sure that your microphone connection is secure, or try another microphone, if you have one.
Jim in Ohio

nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

I'll buy another mike tomorrow.
N
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Jim, I've uploaded section 18 to Kitty:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_18_higgins_128kb.mp3 duration 11:08 I'm trying to reduce the pauses and speed up a bit.

My issue with static recurred, later in the recording... Maybe the machinery can only handle 8 minutes at a time? Anyway, I re-did the last quarter and I think this is "passable," but I await your verdict, and I'll re-do or edit as much as needed.

I heard myself saying the word "house" in Canadian a few times. I'm afraid there's no remedy for that problem (I wouldn't feel right trying to say howse), so I hope you can live with it, or even smile at it.

I'm using the built-in mike on my Mac, so I'm thinking about buying a USB mike. Spent all morning wondering whether to go and get one, but then I decided to take another shot at it, so this is the result.
I wonder whether a mike closer to my lips would produce explosive sounds on the p's and b's...
What's your recommendation?

cheers
Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:26 pm Jim, I've uploaded section 18 to Kitty:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_18_higgins_128kb.mp3 duration 11:08 I'm trying to reduce the pauses and speed up a bit.

My issue with static recurred, later in the recording... Maybe the machinery can only handle 8 minutes at a time? Anyway, I re-did the last quarter and I think this is "passable," but I await your verdict, and I'll re-do or edit as much as needed.

I heard myself saying the word "house" in Canadian a few times. I'm afraid there's no remedy for that problem (I wouldn't feel right trying to say howse), so I hope you can live with it, or even smile at it.

I'm using the built-in mike on my Mac, so I'm thinking about buying a USB mike. Spent all morning wondering whether to go and get one, but then I decided to take another shot at it, so this is the result.
I wonder whether a mike closer to my lips would produce explosive sounds on the p's and b's...

cheers
Noel
I will give this a listen. Yes, being closer to the microphone and also on axis will increase the chance of plosives. I keep mine at about 45 degrees to the side and also use a pop filter. Does your Mac have a microphone jack or just usb? I prefer using analog, but that is probably my usb mike would not pass on my one-minute test :lol:
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

brwilliams101 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 4:39 pm
JHedrick wrote: January 16th, 2022, 12:29 pm
brwilliams101 wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:55 am I would like to read the Tower of London, please

Brianna Williams
Certainly! I am always happy to have new readers join a project.

I will reserve this section for you. When claiming a section in the future, please remember to give the section number. This helps avoid mistakes by me.
I see that you have submitted your one-minute test and I recommend that you wait until it is "Okayed" before recording anything else. This is in case any adjustments need to be made.
Also, please let me know how you would like to be listed in the catalogue. You can use your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym.

Welcome to LibriVox :D
Jim

Thanks Jim - excited to be on my first project :) And noted on the section number

My 1 min test is here if needed: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90862

Also, you can add me as Brianna W.
Okay - I see you got a "Pass" on your test. :clap:

So, here is your brand-new personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/17063 where all your projects will be listed.

As this is your first official recording, please read carefully through the very first post on this project. You will find all the details here, for the text source, the correct intro and outro, how to say the section title and how to name the finished file. If there are any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy your first recording and thank you for your interest in this project.
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

JHedrick wrote: January 19th, 2022, 2:00 pm
nhcooper wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:26 pm Jim, I've uploaded section 18 to Kitty:

cheers
Noel
I will give this a listen. Yes, being closer to the microphone and also on axis will increase the chance of plosives. I keep mine at about 45 degrees to the side and also use a pop filter. Does your Mac have a microphone jack or just usb? I prefer using analog, but that is probably my usb mike would not pass on my one-minute test :lol:

And do not worry about your accent - no worries there. However, hockey is another matter. :lol:
Jim in Ohio

skvm20

Post by skvm20 »

It's been ten years, but I'll take a crack at Chapter 2.
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Hi Noel,

I only hear a few little clicks around the eight minute mark - nothing to worry about. :)

However, at 3:18 the word "churches" is cut off. If you would please edit that.
Also, have a look at your beginning and ending silences: they were 1.2 and 6.8 seconds respectively. Did I send you the link to the video about fixing these?

As a descendant of Scots Border Reivers, I am glad to inform you that the Stone of Scone has been returned and now resides with the crown jewels in Edinburgh Castle. :scotland:
Jim in Ohio