[COMPLETE][GROUP][Geography]Father Thames, by Walter Higgins - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 14th, 2022, 1:54 pm I've made the adjustments you proposed, Jim, and the length of the Audacity file is now 15:25. I do hope the mp3 is the same.
URL sent to Kitty is
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_01_higgins_128kb.mp3

I think I need to ask for help on how to manipulate the Audacity file. Is there a way to tell it to "Go to 15:20"? So far, all I can do is go to the end (or beginning) of the file, and highlight my way back or forward, 20 seconds at a time.
also...
When I record a correction, as I did in changing the outro from July (??) to January, the new recording is on another track. When I play it, it seems to be fine. I wonder if that's somehow the source of the extra 40 seconds of silence? But it appears that all tracks end at 15:25.

regards
Noel
Nice job on the edits, Noel! :clap:

The only issue that remains is the opening and closing silences. If there are two tracks, remember to select the one you want as "Solo" and then the export process will ignore the extra track(s). I will send you a PM later today or tomorrow with a link to a video I am preparing on fixing the beginning and ending silences.
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
brwilliams101

Post by brwilliams101 »

I would like to read the Tower of London, please

Brianna Williams
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

brwilliams101 wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:55 am I would like to read the Tower of London, please

Brianna Williams
Certainly! I am always happy to have new readers join a project.

I will reserve this section for you. When claiming a section in the future, please remember to give the section number. This helps avoid mistakes by me.
I see that you have submitted your one-minute test and I recommend that you wait until it is "Okayed" before recording anything else. This is in case any adjustments need to be made.
Also, please let me know how you would like to be listed in the catalogue. You can use your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym.

Welcome to LibriVox :D
Jim
Jim in Ohio

Jananiram

Post by Jananiram »

Thanks so much, Jim!
I did receive some instructions regarding my test recording, and have tried to make the required changes. Will message again once I get the audio right!
I'll remember to use section number in future! Using Jananiram to list my name is perfect! Thanks.
JHedrick wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:23 am
Jananiram wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:12 am I'd like to read the chapter "The River's First Bridge"

I will reserve this section for you. When claiming a section in the future, please remember to give the section number. This helps avoid mistakes by me.
I see that you have submitted your one-minute test and I recommend that you wait until it is "Okayed" before recording anything else. This is in case any adjustments need to be made.
Also, please let me know how you would like to be listed in the catalogue. You can use your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym.

Jim
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

Title: Section 24 - Chapter Four. Reading
Length: 7:38
Size: 7.34 MB
LVU Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_24_higgins_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if the start and end silences are OK. If not, I'll re-edit.
Last edited by paullawleyjones on January 19th, 2022, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

I'll next take "Section 11 - How The City Grew (Saxon Days)"
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JHedrick wrote: January 14th, 2022, 12:07 pmIntroduction is ready when you are, Kitty. At your convenience, of course.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_00_higgins_128kb.mp3 [16:10]
thank you, Jim, what an interesting section, and you made it all quite lively with your wonderful narration. 8-) I enjoyed it very much.

Only a few small edits needed:

> at 0:01: "Section 0" – you say "introduction", this should only be said in the second part as "section title". In the beginning we then have all the section numbers in the right order

> at 14:11: "a matter of 150 miles from the mouth" – you say "north"

> at 16:03: "End of Section 0" – also here, I would say section instead of title, to stay consistent. I suppose the other readers are using the standard "section" as well, as pointed out in the first post ? :hmm:

thanks

Sonia
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

I think I may have it right this time re opening and closing silences. I found and erased some silent spots 'way down the line, placed there probably before editing reduced the size of the tape.
I listened to two "how to" tapes, and learned a few things, but not as yet how to send the cursor to a certain place in the recording. May ask Google for that answer.

Anyhow:

time should be 15:24, with less than one second silence at the top, and 5 seconds at the end. I hope!!

Hope this works, but glad to try again if nec.

Thanks for your help, Jim!
Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
Jananiram

Post by Jananiram »

Hi Jim.
The one-minute test turned out ok. So I believe I will now record Section 13, The River’s First Bridge.
Thanks!
JHedrick wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:23 am
Jananiram wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:12 am I'd like to read the chapter "The River's First Bridge"

Jim
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 17th, 2022, 8:57 am I think I may have it right this time re opening and closing silences. I found and erased some silent spots 'way down the line, placed there probably before editing reduced the size of the tape.
I listened to two "how to" tapes, and learned a few things, but not as yet how to send the cursor to a certain place in the recording. May ask Google for that answer.

Anyhow:

time should be 15:24, with less than one second silence at the top, and 5 seconds at the end. I hope!!

Hope this works, but glad to try again if nec.

Thanks for your help, Jim!
Noel
That's the ticket! :clap:

PL Okay now :thumbs:

Have a look at a YouTube page I just threw together. This is a work in progress, so it is rough around the edges, but might be of some help.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkdRKbHfUsZ8_HaD8XG0C5w
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Jananiram wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:24 am Hi Jim.
The one-minute test turned out ok. So I believe I will now record Section 13, The River’s First Bridge.
Thanks!
A warm welcome to this project. :D

So, here is your brand-new personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/17052 where all your projects will be listed.

As this is your first official recording, please read carefully through the very first post on this project. You will find all the details here, for the text source, the correct intro and outro, how to say the section title and how to name the finished file. If there are any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Kitty wrote: January 17th, 2022, 3:19 am
JHedrick wrote: January 14th, 2022, 12:07 pmIntroduction is ready when you are, Kitty. At your convenience, of course.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_00_higgins_128kb.mp3 [16:10]
thank you, Jim, what an interesting section, and you made it all quite lively with your wonderful narration. 8-) I enjoyed it very much.

Only a few small edits needed:

> at 0:01: "Section 0" – you say "introduction", this should only be said in the second part as "section title". In the beginning we then have all the section numbers in the right order

> at 14:11: "a matter of 150 miles from the mouth" – you say "north"

> at 16:03: "End of Section 0" – also here, I would say section instead of title, to stay consistent. I suppose the other readers are using the standard "section" as well, as pointed out in the first post ? :hmm:

thanks

Sonia
Thanks for the feedback :)

I have uploaded the corrected file. No rush on the spot check.
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

paullawleyjones wrote: January 16th, 2022, 11:41 pm I'll next take "Section 11 - How The City Grew (Saxon Days)"
Absolutely! It is all yours :)
Jim in Ohio

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JHedrick wrote: January 17th, 2022, 12:29 pmI have uploaded the corrected file. No rush on the spot check.
but already done :) and PL ok now. Thanks

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger