COMPLETE Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) Collection 14-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) Collection 14, by Various

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/myths-and-legends-around-the-world-14/

How to contribute a story
Please choose and record any myth or legend that is a short story in the public domain. It may be from a stand-alone book or a single chapter from a book. (All recordings in English) You are aiming for under 74 minutes.

So long as the source is Public Domain for you, any short story or chapter that tells of legends, heroes, myths, folk or ancient lore, is welcome. We are looking for representations of many different cultures within each collection. For clarification of what it means for a work to be "in the public domain," see this section of the LibriVox Wiki: Copyright and Public Domain. You are welcome to post a question about a particular source being public domain or not in this project's discussion before you begin recording. Please include a link to the source you've found in your post.

In this project, you do not claim a section ahead of time. Follow the recording directions below and submit your story with all the information requested. It will then be added to the collection. When this collection fills up, the next collection will open, so there will always be a spot for your story. :)

Limit of 2 sections per reader in a given Myths & Legends collection.

Where can I find stories to record?
Here is a list of sources that we are always adding to: Some Sources for Myths and Legends Around the World

*Please note that you are absolutely welcome to use other public domain sources. (In fact, bonus points for finding a new source, particularly if it contains cultures not yet represented on the list!)

*Yes, you may read a story that someone has already done!

New to recording?
Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here.

Please do the short test recording to make sure all your settings are OK before you record for this collection, if you have not already done that. It gets submitted on the Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here board.

If this is your first audiobook file submission, please tell us what name you want us to use when we generate your Catalog Reader Page.

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.
Say:
"[Story Name] in Myths and Legends Around the World - Collection 14. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] Say: "Story Name, by Author."

End of recording:
Say:
"End of Story Name in Myths and Legends Around the World - Collection 14." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: mlaw014_shorttitle_author_yourinitials_128kb.mp3 (e.g. mlaw014_daughterofsun_frary_lcc_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Post a notice about your uploaded recording:
Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss).
Include the name of the story, the author's name, a link to the source you used, and Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Last edited by LCaulkins on March 22nd, 2022, 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I will DPL again.

MaryAnnSpiegel MCs this series.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Lynette,
Your MW is ready.
MaryAnn
bkrooke

Post by bkrooke »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw014_bakersdaughter_bkdr_128kb.mp3

The Baker's Daughter by Charles John Tibbits

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/47408/47408-h/47408-h.htm#Page_123

Let me know if there is anything I need to change or modify! :)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

bkrooke wrote: January 18th, 2022, 11:44 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw014_bakersdaughter_bkdr_128kb.mp3

Hi! Thank you, and welcome to LibriVox! :)

Your story is loaded and queued for PL later today.

The only thing I still need from you is the name you would like us to use when we generate your Catalog Reader Page. (This is the page the public can see when looking at audibook readers in the Catalog). Some of us use our real name, some use our forum working name, and some make up another penname.
~Lynette * -
MedoraKay

Post by MedoraKay »

hello! i was wondering if you could reserve a chapter for me? we've been sick and i dont think i'm ready to record, i expect to be better in a few days :D
MEDORA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi Medora! I'm sorry you guys were sick. (and I have all your files queued still for PL - I just have a huge stack of them!)

This collection is a little different from "normal" LibriVox projects, in that nobody signs up for sections before recording them. There will always be a current Myths and Legends Around the World project open, so, No Fears: when you are ready to record again, there will be space for your stories. :)

Hope you feel better soon!
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

bkrooke wrote: January 18th, 2022, 11:44 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw014_bakersdaughter_bkdr_128kb.mp3

Thank you very much for starting us off on 14!

Nicely done - nothing needs to be fixed. :) The Baker's Daughter is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
MedoraKay

Post by MedoraKay »

LCaulkins wrote: January 18th, 2022, 5:49 pm Hi Medora! I'm sorry you guys were sick. (and I have all your files queued still for PL - I just have a huge stack of them!)

This collection is a little different from "normal" LibriVox projects, in that nobody signs up for sections before recording them. There will always be a current Myths and Legends Around the World project open, so, No Fears: when you are ready to record again, there will be space for your stories. :)

Hope you feel better soon!
ok! i'll record soon as possible,sorry about the stack i a had a lot of time :lol:
MEDORA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

no worries - you and a lot of other people had a ton of time over the weekend :wink:
~Lynette * -
Grebelen

Post by Grebelen »

Hello.
I was wondering if I could read, "Fairy Tales Told in the Bush - Australian"? https://www.gutenberg.org/files/64310/64310-h/64310-h.htm
I'm new to Librivox and this section seems to have a lot of short stories clustered together. How would I go about reading this? Would I have to make a recording for each short story? I'd be happy to read them all! Thank you! :-)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Grebelen wrote: January 21st, 2022, 3:26 pm Hello.
I was wondering if I could read, "Fairy Tales Told in the Bush - Australian"? https://www.gutenberg.org/files/64310/64310-h/64310-h.htm
I'm new to Librivox and this section seems to have a lot of short stories clustered together. How would I go about reading this? Would I have to make a recording for each short story? I'd be happy to read them all! Thank you! :-)
Hello, Grebelen! Welcome to LibriVox! :D

Yes, you absolutely may read from that source for this collection. You are correct that this project is a gathering of single stories from books, rather than entire books.

So you would choose one of the stories to record by itself. (But each reader may submit two stories per collection, so you could also do another story on a separate file.

If you would like to record that entire book, I would recommend finding a story from another source to do here. After you've done that, and perhaps a chapter or two for a project over on the Readers Wanted: Books board, you will have an idea of what the work is like to produce a longer recording than the 1-minute test. And then you can set up the Australian Bush tales book as a solo project to do in its entirety.

I recommend finding another source for a story here, because we're not allowed to use the same recording in more than one project - so if you turn one of those stories in here, you'd have to do the work on it all over again.

It's nice to have you on board!
Last edited by LCaulkins on January 21st, 2022, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey there, Medora :) I'm sorry it took me so long to load these stories. They are queued now for PL. :)
~Lynette * -
MissKay

Post by MissKay »