[COMPLETE] Love Stories Volume 5 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

This story is missing the last half of Section III, after "the one happiness that he now desired for himself, and to the sounds of the inferior orchestra", and all of Section IV.
Also, it is what I call "boomy". To counteract this using Audacity, I recommend applying Effect/Compressor/Slider settings: -16dB, -40dB, 2:1, .20 seconds; 1 second, with nothing checked off, OK Compressor knocks off the highest and lowest tips of the wave form. Try it and see what you think.
Oh my gosh I must've sent an earlier file! I'm so sorry. Thanks too for the audio advice. VERY helpful.
Also, since I'm new to Librivox, can you just tell me what "boomy" means?
I will take care of all this in the next couple days!
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

This story is missing the last half of Section III, after "the one happiness that he now desired for himself, and to the sounds of the inferior orchestra", and all of Section IV.
So I am officially confused. I have listened again and again and it sounds intact to me.

In my recording “the one happiness he desired for himself” starts at 28:16 and “to the sounds of the inferior orchestra” ends at 28:24. From there I hear the rest of Chekhov’s story, in its entirety (until the recording concludes at 38:54).

So mysterious that you are missing half of Section 3 and all of Section 4 when you listen.
Do have any ideas?
Thank you Michele.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Alright. I downloaded the file again and sure enough, the whole file is there! Somehow my download must have truncated itself. Who knows why. I will finish PL'ing tomorrow. Gotta find out if he catches that gal, for he sure needs somebody to straighten him up. :shock:
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

Haha :lol: he sure does!
Thanks for reloading, very relieved you got the whole thing this time!
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Lady With The Dog is PL OK, and she does get the guy! But oh my goodness, it is not looking like a happy ending for either of them, though Chekhov does not tell which way it will go except DIFFICULT. A good addition to this collection and nicely read. :thumbs:

Now, Zunzil, I've just uploaded An Object of Love, and wonder if you would have time to PL it for me?

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lovestories5_anobjectoflove_wilkins_mtf_128kb.mp3 25:05

Text Source:
https://archive.org/details/humbleromanceoth00free_0/page/266/mode/1up
by Mary E. Wilkins Freeman
It's about a cat named Willy.
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

I've just uploaded An Object of Love, and wonder if you would have time to PL it for me?
Sure, I'd be happy to, but I'm relatively new here. Do I need to have any prior PL experience? Am I simply listening for missing words, awkward pauses, mispronunciations? Is there a PL checklist?

Thanks Michele!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Zunzil wrote: January 13th, 2022, 11:01 pm
I've just uploaded An Object of Love, and wonder if you would have time to PL it for me?
Sure, I'd be happy to, but I'm relatively new here. Do I need to have any prior PL experience? Am I simply listening for missing words, awkward pauses, mispronunciations? Is there a PL checklist?

Thanks Michele!
And that's why I asked you. We always need more proof-listeners, and I like to introduce them to the process. :D
It's simple, really. You look in the First Post for PROOFLISTENING LEVEL, which varies from project to project, from Standard, Special and Word-Perfect, (and sometimes there are pronunciation notes just above the INTRO). There's a link there to a Wiki page that explains each level in detail. Personally, I always follow along with the text no matter what is called for, and notate missing text, too long pauses, and what I think stands out as awkward. Mis-pronunciations can be a gray area depending on where the reader hails from, but some words are just said wrong by any standard. I once PL'd a cowboy story where the soloist was forever dropping syllables (Missippi vs. Mississippi), but it was completely understandable and fit the flavor of the piece perfectly. Use your judgment. Some readers welcome crits/comments, others don't. You'll find that in their signature.

As you listen, notate the time the error took place, and describe the error in as few words as possible. Examples:
Intro, shorten to 1 second.
2:23 a strange idiom was used, you say idiot
4:52 stumble "he sp-spilled his coffee"
5:30 repeat "not to be rude"
5:55 loud pop, car horn, baby crying, someone talking in background, etc.
6:20 4.5 second pause
Outro, lengthen to 5 seconds (you have 2)
Checker shows volume too low at 85dB. Amplify +4 to attain LV's median 89dB.

Then, if you like, you can say something nice about the story, the reader's performance, etc. If you feel like the recording is sub-standard for LV's standards, PM the BC or MC to have a listen.

It's a great way to listen to books and stories, and provide value at the same time. I love it.
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

Wow, thanks for this detailed reply. I particularly enjoyed the example of idiot instead of idiom.

One last protocol question: is there a turnaround time? May I do this over the weekend? I've always been astonished how quickly my submissions get proofed and worry that I can't offer the same courtesy.

Thanks Michele.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Zunzil wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:10 am Wow, thanks for this detailed reply.
One last protocol question: is there a turnaround time?
My pleasure, and yes, people do like their files PL'd without delay, like within a few days. More importantly, readers come and go, and we want to secure their corrections before they vanish into the night. Throwing away an uncorrectable file is a sad waste of time and energy. Some can but others can't be salvaged. It's safe to say that I, as BC of this project, won't be disappearing, so take your time. But also, hurry, as it's torture to have to wait to share my oscar-worthy performance with someone. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lovestories5_anobjectoflove_wilkins_mtf_128kb.mp3 25:05

Text Source:
https://archive.org/details/humbleromanceoth00free_0/page/266/mode/1up
by Mary E. Wilkins Freeman
It's about a cat named Willy.
What a little gem of a story!

Your reading charmed me from the opening moments. I especially admired the pacing and the musical inflections of your voice.

Three tiny edits:
At 10:15 you say "person" instead of "parson"
At 12:03 you say "shivered" instead of "shivering"
At 12:54 you pronounce "wan" as if it rhymes with "man" but it rhymes with "dawn"

The dialogue from 13:52-18:58 was so well read, I forgot I was supposed to be proofing. You're amazing!!

And I wish Freeman was still alive so I could compliment her on the comic relief of the minister's visit. His utter inadequacy. Offering no consolation whatsoever. Such a spare but complete characterization. We all know that guy, lol.

Anyway, I learned a lot from PL'g this. Thanks for the opportunity.
Zunzil in NYC
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here's An Object of Love, with 3 changes. Thanks for catching those. The first two make more sense now. "Wan" can be pronounced either way according to Bing. I looked it up because I never use that word and almost never hear it, but I made the change because . . . why not make you happy. :D

Also, because it brings up another PL'ing point I'd like to share. Realizing that it can be hard for a reader to match their voice from one day to the next, that such edits can stand out like a sore thumb (worse than the wrong word), I recommend changes judiciously. When I make my own edits, there is a better chance of a match if I re-record the whole phrase the word is in, thus I often cite the whole phrase with the wrong word in BOLD.

Loved your comments -- encourages me to read more of Mary Freeman. I've only recorded one other, but I like most of her stories so far.

I can relate to the neighbor who says "Oh, it's just a cat (or a dog). You can get another one." I've been devastated at the loss of a pet or two, with similar friend comments, and wanted to scream "I can't hear you!" Mary nailed it!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lovestories5_anobjectoflove_wilkins_mtf_128kb.mp3, no time change.

Your job now is to Spot PL (just the cited errors), and come back with PL OK, or further notes. I generally check Intro, Outro and file length again, and the whole phrase around the wrong word, to be sure nothing has been inadvertently deleted or wrong file uploaded. Weirder things have happened. :shock:
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

PL perfect for An Object of Love!

And thanks for the PL direction to edit judiciously. Makes sense. And works in my favor when I am the reader :lol:

Yes, this story got to me too. Ten years ago I had to lay to rest my beloved 17 year old dog. I still haven't gotten another. I know I could and probably should. But it would be a new love -- never a replacement. It was touching though how the little kids in the town thought they could persuade Ann to love again. Their tenderhearted effort was another kind of love itself.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Zunzil wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:41 pm PL perfect for An Object of Love!

And thanks for the PL direction to edit judiciously. Makes sense. And works in my favor when I am the reader :lol:

Yes, this story got to me too. Ten years ago I had to lay to rest my beloved 17 year old dog. I still haven't gotten another. I know I could and probably should. But it would be a new love -- never a replacement. It was touching though how the little kids in the town thought they could persuade Ann to love again. Their tenderhearted effort was another kind of love itself.
I've put down several pets so old and feeble they could not walk or see, but they all still loved to eat and be with us. The worst loss was my 3 year old 50 lb. agility dog who disappeared one day. I looked everywhere for weeks to no avail. Her remains were found under the house a few months later by the Orkin man. We have no idea how she died, possibly bit by a snake, or poisoned. I still cannot look at her photo or mention her name without tearing up, so this Willy story hit home with me. I'm glad it had a happy ending.

Now, to find another story I like as well . . . . .
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

uploaded "Cast Thy Bread Upon The Waters" by Grace Aquilar
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lovestories5_cast_thy_bread_aguilar_wj_128kb.mp3
51:04

Home Scenes and Heart Studies by Grace Aguilar
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/56722/56722-h/56722-h.htm#p383

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_aguilar

Dipping my toe back in the water.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Bill. Glad you're back. I look forward to listening to the story.
First, please resubmit your file without the underlines in the title, per instructions in the First Post: (castthybread)