[COMPLETE][GROUP][Geography]Father Thames, by Walter Higgins - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Thank you for these "corrections," Jim. I looked on my Audacity file, and I think it's 16:01 long. Significant length, I feel.
Can I get the URL off the uploader at this stage?

Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 13th, 2022, 1:48 pm Thank you for these "corrections," Jim. I looked on my Audacity file, and I think it's 16:01 long. Significant length, I feel.
Can I get the URL off the uploader at this stage?

Noel
Sorry, you have to do it when you upload. It is okay this time, I got it from the upload. 16:47

This is just one of those learning curve things - I did the exact same thing when I started. :lol:
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:55 pm I've uploaded section 01, chapter one to Kitty
fatherthames_01_higgins_128kb.mp3

Looking forward to response.
Noel
nhcooper
Hi Noel,

Very nice job reading - quite enjoyable. :)

There are just a couple technical things that need some attention.

First, the beginning silence on recordings should be between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds and the ending silence should be 5 seconds. I heard 1.5 and 49 respectively. Please trim them both.
There is no need to reread the chapter title when it is also the section name. Please delete one of them.
@ 5:08 I heard a repeat: "The Elizabe --- The Elizabethan"
@ 15:20 I heard a slight stumble: "Waiting to pl --- Waiting to take the place"
@ 15:45 there is a distinct page flip noise.

Also, in general, keep any gaps between sections and paragraphs to between 1.5 and 2.0 seconds. Anything longer is confusing to the listener. @ 0:27 you had a gap of about three seconds. I would call that an optional edit, but as it is right along with the double title it should be easy to fix.

Again, very nice job on the reading and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Just make the above edits and re-export your file. Then upload the new file using the same name as the original. Don't forget to drop a note here in the thread when you are done.

If you need any help, just ask!

Jim
Jim in Ohio

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Jim
Apologies but I have decided to relinquish my claim to the Oxford chapter. I don't usually record long prose sections (I have an informal upper limit of 1000 words) and I claimed this before checking how long it was (it is the longest chapter in the book).

Regarding peculiar Oxford pronunciations there are only 2 which occur in this chapter:

Maud-lin rather than Magdelan
Char-wal rather than Cherwell
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

alanmapstone wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:26 pm Hi Jim
Apologies but I have decided to relinquish my claim to the Oxford chapter. I don't usually record long prose sections (I have an informal upper limit of 1000 words) and I claimed this before checking how long it was (it is the longest chapter in the book).

Regarding peculiar Oxford pronunciations there are only 2 which occur in this chapter:

Maud-lin rather than Magdelan
Char-wal rather than Cherwell
Totally understand. I would never want you to do something you are not comfortable with.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim in Ohio

nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

Jim, I have other volunteering duty this morning; hope to make these changes later today.
BUT
Something weird has happened at the end of this mp3: The timer on my Audacity file says 16:01, but apparently the mp3 is 16:40 long. Am I doing something wrong? Shall I just try again? There's nothing to trim on the Audacity file...

If you have ideas, I look forward to them.

I'm glad you 'enjoyed' my reading style. Intended to keep listeners from dozing!

Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 14th, 2022, 6:21 am Jim, I have other volunteering duty this morning; hope to make these changes later today.
BUT
Something weird has happened at the end of this mp3: The timer on my Audacity file says 16:01, but apparently the mp3 is 16:40 long. Am I doing something wrong? Shall I just try again? There's nothing to trim on the Audacity file...

If you have ideas, I look forward to them.

I'm glad you 'enjoyed' my reading style. Intended to keep listeners from dozing!

Noel
First, just try to re-export and see what happens. If you are still having a problem, we will dig into it further then. :)
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

JHedrick wrote: January 13th, 2022, 5:15 pm
nhcooper wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:55 pm I've uploaded section 01, chapter one to Kitty
fatherthames_01_higgins_128kb.mp3

Looking forward to response.
Noel
nhcooper
Hi Noel,

Very nice job reading - quite enjoyable. :)

There are just a couple technical things that need some attention.

First, the beginning silence on recordings should be between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds and the ending silence should be 5 seconds. I heard 1.5 and 49 respectively. Please trim them both.
There is no need to reread the chapter title when it is also the section name. Please delete one of them.
@ 5:08 I heard a repeat: "The Elizabe --- The Elizabethan"
@ 15:20 I heard a slight stumble: "Waiting to pl --- Waiting to take the place"
@ 15:45 there is a distinct page flip noise.

Also, in general, keep any gaps between sections and paragraphs to between 1.5 and 2.0 seconds. Anything longer is confusing to the listener. @ 0:27 you had a gap of about three seconds. I would call that an optional edit, but as it is right along with the double title it should be easy to fix.

Again, very nice job on the reading and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Just make the above edits and re-export your file. Then upload the new file using the same name as the original. Don't forget to drop a note here in the thread when you are done.

If you need any help, just ask!

Jim
Hi Noel,

I just noticed in my notes that I forgot to mention one thing. In the outro, you say that it was recorded on July 13, 2022 instead of January. As far as I am concerned it makes no difference, but as you are making some other edits, you may want to address this as well. :)
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Introduction is ready when you are, Kitty. At your convenience, of course.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_00_higgins_128kb.mp3 [16:10]
Jim in Ohio

nhcooper

Post by nhcooper »

I've made the adjustments you proposed, Jim, and the length of the Audacity file is now 15:25. I do hope the mp3 is the same.
URL sent to Kitty is
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_01_higgins_128kb.mp3

I think I need to ask for help on how to manipulate the Audacity file. Is there a way to tell it to "Go to 15:20"? So far, all I can do is go to the end (or beginning) of the file, and highlight my way back or forward, 20 seconds at a time.
also...
When I record a correction, as I did in changing the outro from July (??) to January, the new recording is on another track. When I play it, it seems to be fine. I wonder if that's somehow the source of the extra 40 seconds of silence? But it appears that all tracks end at 15:25.

regards
Noel
Noel Cooper
Orillia ON Canada
nhcooper
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

nhcooper wrote: January 14th, 2022, 1:54 pm I've made the adjustments you proposed, Jim, and the length of the Audacity file is now 15:25. I do hope the mp3 is the same.
URL sent to Kitty is
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_01_higgins_128kb.mp3

I think I need to ask for help on how to manipulate the Audacity file. Is there a way to tell it to "Go to 15:20"? So far, all I can do is go to the end (or beginning) of the file, and highlight my way back or forward, 20 seconds at a time.
also...
When I record a correction, as I did in changing the outro from July (??) to January, the new recording is on another track. When I play it, it seems to be fine. I wonder if that's somehow the source of the extra 40 seconds of silence? But it appears that all tracks end at 15:25.

regards
Noel
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I am going to recommend a series of videos on YouTube done by Adrian Stephens. Start with this one and go from there: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMHYycgA5VU&list=PLycbqtbq47FmglVtWb3FWE7eVosXDlj83&index=1

I hope that helps
Jim in Ohio

paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

Title: Section 10 - Chapter Two. How the City grew (Roman Days)
Length: 6.45
Size: 6.5 MB
LVU Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_10_higgins_128kb.mp3
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

paullawleyjones wrote: January 16th, 2022, 2:50 am Title: Section 10 - Chapter Two. How the City grew (Roman Days)
Length: 6.45
Size: 6.5 MB
LVU Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fatherthames_10_higgins_128kb.mp3
Very nicely done :) PL Okay :thumbs:

I would ask that you keep an eye on your opening and closing silences for future recordings: they should be between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds at the start and 5 seconds at the end. Yours tend to run just a bit longer.
Thanks
Jim in Ohio

Jananiram

Post by Jananiram »

I'd like to read the chapter "The River's First Bridge"
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Jananiram wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:12 am I'd like to read the chapter "The River's First Bridge"
Certainly! I am always happy to have new readers join a project.

I will reserve this section for you. When claiming a section in the future, please remember to give the section number. This helps avoid mistakes by me.
I see that you have submitted your one-minute test and I recommend that you wait until it is "Okayed" before recording anything else. This is in case any adjustments need to be made.
Also, please let me know how you would like to be listed in the catalogue. You can use your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym.

Welcome to LibriVox :D
Jim
Jim in Ohio