COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 088 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Section 12, "Bumping into the Bolshevists1" is ready for Spot PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf088_bumpingbolshevists1_warren_mh_128kb.mp3
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

MaryinArkansas wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:21 pm Section 12, "Bumping into the Bolshevists1" is ready for Spot PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf088_bumpingbolshevists1_warren_mh_128kb.mp3
Good morning, Mary! Thanks for the fixes. I'll try to spot PL later today.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, progressingamerica! :D I'll PL as soon as possible.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

MaryinArkansas wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:21 pm Section 12, "Bumping into the Bolshevists1" is ready for Spot PL.

PL OK now; thanks, Mary! :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi progressingamerica, Thank you for contributing this essay by Woodrow Wilson to volume 088.

" ...undoubtedly the fundamental problem of this whole study [is] "What part shall public opinion take in the conduct of administration? The right answer seems to be, that public opinion shall play the part of authoritative critic."
Woodrow Wilson
----------

This is a long recording. There are a few places that need attention. They are of two sorts--misreads and repeats. There were quite a few repeats left in. In the past, some readers have accidentally sent up a first draft instead of the edited version of the recording... As DPL, I would very much appreciate that repeats be eliminated before I do the PL. The misreads, on the other hand, were few for such a long text.

Repeats--times given are where the repeat begins:

2:40 beginning "the operative, the most visible side of government..."

3:35-3:38, beginning "the heart of government"

4:26 beginning "without friction..."

18:37, beginning "almost the whole..."

28:12, beginning "he must stir it up..."

38:37-38 beginning "the functions of government..."

42:03 beginning "Our peculiar American difficulty..."

53:11 beginning "What did we ever originate..."

57:37 beginning "Arrangements not only sanctioned..."

1:00.54 beginning "well sustained public criticism..."

Misreads--

page 198, at 2:17.5, Text reads "It is a birth of our own century, almost of our own generation." You said "of our own country..."

page 198, at 5:58, Text reads "...but it was substantially true also of comparatively late times." You said "substantially true almost of..."

page 200, at 7:10, Text reads "to carefully tested standards of policy..." You said ""to systematically tested"

page 204, at 17:59, Text reads "...still sincerely professed to regard himself as only the chief servant of the state..." You said "as the only chief servant of the state..."

page 210, at 31:40; Text reads "Civil-service reform is thus but a moral preparation for what is to follow." You left out this sentence.

page 210, at 32:30, Text reads "This is distinction of high authority." You left out the verb (is) in this sentence.

page 214,at 40:38, Text reads "If to keep his office a man much achieve open and honest success..." You said "But to keep his office..."

page 215, at 43:50, Text reads "Directly exercised, in the oversight of the daily details and in the choice of the daily means of government, public criticism is of course a clumsy nuisance..." You said "in the oversight of the daily details and in the course of the daily means..."

Thank you,
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is the corrected update for Section 13: Bumping into the Bolshevists, Part 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf088_bumpingbolshevists2_warren_mh_128kb.mp3
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Mary! PL OK! :thumbs:
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

Sue Anderson wrote: November 30th, 2021, 6:50 pm
Hi progressingamerica, Thank you for contributing this essay by Woodrow Wilson to volume 088.

" ...undoubtedly the fundamental problem of this whole study [is] "What part shall public opinion take in the conduct of administration? The right answer seems to be, that public opinion shall play the part of authoritative critic."
Woodrow Wilson
I appreciate you PLing this. Just out of curiosity, in addition to the list of items you put together was there also an issue with my recording with this section of "the fundamental problem"?

There were a lot of issues I must say. It took quite a long time to edit and once I was about half-way through I realized it was a bigger challenge than I though it would be.

The file has been re-uploaded, let me know if it is complete now. Thank you again. I did have a question - do you think this is long enough that would warrant it being its own stand-alone recording instead of being inside the Short Nonfiction Collection?

New recording time 1:00:21.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

progressingamerica wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 11:29 am
Sue Anderson wrote: November 30th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Woodrow Wilson
I appreciate you PLing this. Just out of curiosity, in addition to the list of items you put together was there also an issue with my recording with this section of "the fundamental problem"?

There were a lot of issues I must say. It took quite a long time to edit and once I was about half-way through I realized it was a bigger challenge than I though it would be.

The file has been re-uploaded, let me know if it is complete now. Thank you again. I did have a question - do you think this is long enough that would warrant it being its own stand-alone recording instead of being inside the Short Nonfiction Collection?

New recording time 1:00:21.
Hi progressingamerica, Thanks for doing the fixes on your Woodrow Wilson reading; sounds much better now. PL OK! :)

To answer your questions: 1) No, there was no recording issue intended by my quote from Wilson regarding "the fundamental problem." This quote was just one of my "take-aways" from Wilson's essay. I usually try to extract some quote from the material I have PL'd. The quotes give me something to jog my memory when it comes to writing the catalog introduction for each volume. Also, I hope, the quotes give anybody who might be following the thread an idea of why they might like to listen to the recording when it's cataloged.

2) Do I think the Woodrow Wilson recording could be made into a solo? Just by itself--no; with a few other essays added-yes.

Rules for single short work solos are laid out by the admins in this thread: "Want to start a solo recording?" viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

To quote from this thread: "If you would like to record a single short work, for instance a short story, please post directly in the appropriate thread in the Short Works & Poetry forum. You will find threads for collections for short pieces there, you can submit whatever you wish to read, and will get help there if needed - just ask in the thread. "Short" usually means under 70 mins long when recorded."

What I think would be a workable idea for you would be a collection of 3 or more essays by Woodrow Wilson around the theme of good governing or political theory. This collection might have a title something like: Woodrow Willson, Political Essays 1887-1897.

Haithi Trust has a collectioin of Wilson's essays from popular magazines like the Atlantic Monthly published in 1896 (Mere Literature, and Other Essays, published in 1896). During this ten year period, Wilson also wrote a book about political theory (The State; Elements of Historical and Practical Politics).
See Haithi Trust for these publications: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Search/Home?type%5B%5D=author&lookfor%5B%5D=woodrow%20wilson&filter%5B%5D=publishDateRange%3A1890-1899&page=1&pagesize=20&ft=&pagesize=20&page=2

I think you could make an interesting solo by some discerning choices from this material.

If you decide to do a solo, please let me know, and I will remove the Woodrow Wilson selection from vol. 088. As you know, selections submitted to a collection must be re-recorded if they are subsequently made part of a solo, and I'm sure you don't want to have to do that!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Bonus fact about the president Wilson that no one has asked about :mrgreen:

His Fourteen Points made him into something of a hero in many countries of the Eastern-Central and Southeastern Europe, with various features named after him, such as a public park in my city of Poznań.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Piotrek81 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:28 am Bonus fact about the president Wilson that no one has asked about :mrgreen:

His Fourteen Points made him into something of a hero in many countries of the Eastern-Central and Southeastern Europe, with various features named after him, such as a public park in my city of Poznań.
Thanks, Piotrek81, for your insight into how Wilson is viewed outside the U.S! :)

What interested me about the article that progressingamerica read is that this is Wilson thinking about how to build a stable democracy long before WWI disrupted the world.

"In government, as in virtue, the hardest of hard things is to make progress... Nowadays the reason is that the many, the people, who are sovereign have no single ear which one can approach, and are selfish, ignorant, timid, stubborn, or foolish, with... the follies of several thousand persons,--albeit there are hundreds who are wise... [The reformer] must first make public opinion willing to listen and then see to it that it listen to the right things... The first step is not less difficult than the second. With opinions, possession is more than nine points of the law. It is next to impossible to dislodge them."
Woodrow Wilson, 1887
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I found this little text by random; I don't even remember how I found it. It reminded me so much of the high school jazz choirs I was in ("college" in the title perhaps refers more to high school / preparatory school than to university level) that I had to record it!

I THINK this is nonfiction. I don't know in what other category to place it. :)

Title: The College Glee Club
Author: Robert Alden Sanborn (in the author database)
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf088_collegegleeclub_sanborn_tg_128kb.mp3
Text: https://bluemountain.princeton.edu/bluemtn/?a=d&d=bmtnaap192303-01.2.9&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN------- (Ugly link! I couldn't find it anywhere else, though.)
Length: 3:32

Della Robbia referred to in the text was a Florence sculptor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_della_Robbia
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

TriciaG wrote: December 6th, 2021, 9:54 am I found this little text by random; I don't even remember how I found it. It reminded me so much of the high school jazz choirs I was in ("college" in the title perhaps refers more to high school / preparatory school than to university level) that I had to record it!

I THINK this is nonfiction. I don't know in what other category to place it. :)

Title: The College Glee Club
Author: Robert Alden Sanborn (in the author database)
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf088_collegegleeclub_sanborn_tg_128kb.mp3
Text: https://bluemountain.princeton.edu/bluemtn/?a=d&d=bmtnaap192303-01.2.9&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN------- (Ugly link! I couldn't find it anywhere else, though.)
Length: 3:32

Della Robbia referred to in the text was a Florence sculptor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_della_Robbia
Hi Tricia, Thanks for this perfect gem! :D Marvelous! It's perfect for this festive season. One of the few things I like about this time of year are the high school and college choirs...

Broom is a really interesting magazine! Not only the poems and articles, but the art work--cartoons by George Grosz; line drawings by Paul Klee, etc. etc. I'd never heard of it before: it's a real treat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broom:_An_International_Magazine_of_the_Arts

I don't know whether you can access Hathi Trust in Canada. Haithi has all the volumes of Broom.https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/010310058. Google books doesn't have vol. 4, but it does have vols. 5-6, and indexed too, which is nice. https://books.google.com/books?id=ksQnAQAAIAAJ

I was able to PL from Hathi: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3352523&view=1up&seq=290&skin=2021

PL OK!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! The Hathi (and Google) texts aren't accessible to me, but feel free to use the HT one as the official text link if you prefer. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

TriciaG wrote: December 6th, 2021, 11:18 am Thanks! The Hathi (and Google) texts aren't accessible to me, but feel free to use the HT one as the official text link if you prefer. :)
Hi Tricia,

Princeton's "Terms of Use" made me squeamish... The restriction on "incorporation into any database" made me wonder if they would object to linking to the LibriVox catalog.

"The digital content contained in the collection is not available for copying, re-sale, re-use or incorporation into any databases or commercial product without express, written permission from the owner of the digital collection (Princeton University) and when applicable the copyright holder."
Princeton Blue Mountain Collection.