COMPLETE - [SHORT STORIES] - Myths and Legends Around the World (recorded in English) - Collection 11-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 23rd, 2021, 12:06 pm

Oh! I am *horrid* at reading French! I never thought of a text to speech site - that would be so much better than listening to only one or two words at a time for the longer passages that I encounter!

LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 23rd, 2021, 12:56 pm

Brianna, this is so nicely read - thank you for the contribution. :)

The Ape the Snake and the Lion is PL OK :thumbs:

LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 23rd, 2021, 1:21 pm

Ryanwill4 wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 1:48 pm
Thank you!

I am excited to contribute to Librivox, as I have listened for so many years. Here goes my first attempt:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_lokispunishment_harperandcummings_RW_128kbps.mp3

5:29

Asgard Stories by Harper and Cummings, https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/37488/pg37488-images.html#Page_97

and the second story:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_twilightofthegods_harperandcummings_RW_128kbps.mp3

6:31

Asgard Stories by Harper and Cummings, https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/37488/pg37488-images.html#Page_97

thanks a lot!
Hi, Ryan! Both of your stories are beautifully read, and are PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

As you continue recording for LibriVox, keep in mind that all files have to be completely lower case (your initial are uppercase - which I distinctly remember doing on one of my first contributions to a poetry collection, lol!)

Have fun with LV, and hope to see you around some more. :)

figgisnewton
Posts: 9
Joined: August 20th, 2021, 10:10 am

Post by figgisnewton » September 24th, 2021, 10:59 am

Hello

The Giant Behind the Waterfall
A Book of Giants - Tales of very Tall Men of Myth, Legend, History, and Science.
Author: Henry Wysham Lanier
Read by Daly Blanton

Time 12:09

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_behindthewaterfall_lanier_db_128kb.mp3

LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 24th, 2021, 1:13 pm

.
Last edited by LCaulkins on September 24th, 2021, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 24th, 2021, 1:13 pm

figgisnewton wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 10:59 am
Hello

The Giant Behind the Waterfall
A Book of Giants - Tales of very Tall Men of Myth, Legend, History, and Science.
Author: Henry Wysham Lanier
Read by Daly Blanton

Time 12:09

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_behindthewaterfall_lanier_db_128kb.mp3
Hi, figgisnewton!

(very cool name, by the way) - Welcome to LibriVox! And thank you for contributing to this collection. :)

PL Note for The Giant Behind the Waterfall:

Your recording is very good - I enjoyed the story, and had never heard this one before.

Nothing in the reading itself needs any editing. The track, though, is quite a bit too soft. It only comes up at 83.3 decibels, and needs to be between 86 and 92 decibels. Could you please raise the volume on the track, export the newer version to mp3, and upload the new file?

It's super easy to fix this if you're using Audacity (which is the only recording software I am familiar with). Just open the track, click Control-A to highlight the whole recording, and in the drop-down menu for Effects, choose "Amplify". Type 7 in the top box, and Enter. That'll give you a nice volume around 89dB. :)

Excited to have you onboard with us!

BlueLobster
Posts: 11
Joined: September 21st, 2021, 10:46 pm

Post by BlueLobster » September 24th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Hello. I'm interested in reading the first chapter of "Tales from Norse mythology", "The story of the beginning".
Should I begin recording on my own and post it here or do I need to do something else for approval first? (Aside from the one minute test check)

LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 24th, 2021, 3:40 pm

BlueLobster wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Hello. I'm interested in reading the first chapter of "Tales from Norse mythology", "The story of the beginning".
Should I begin recording on my own and post it here or do I need to do something else for approval first? (Aside from the one minute test check)
Welcome to LibriVox, BlueLobster! :)

An excellent choice! (Note that that book is a little weird, in that it doesn't have good markings of each new chapter. The first chapter ends on p. 8, with "and Friday, for either the goddess Frigga, or Freyja, or for Frey, the god of summer, who ruled the fairies.")

And yes, unlike "normal" LibriVox group projects, here you do not request a section that is then assigned to you. Rather, you make your recording, name the file according to the directions near the bottom of the initial post, upload it, then copy/paste the link here in the discussion (with the other information, also listed near the bottom of the first post). Then we load your story and info into the first open section of the MW. As we always start the next collection as soon as the current one fills up, there will always be a spot for your recording.

It's a good idea, when you're ready to export your file to an mp3, to come check the project to make sure it hasn't filled and the next one's open - so you can give your file name the correct mlaw number. :)

Looking forward to your recording! Welcome aboard!

dawn80
Posts: 6
Joined: September 13th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Post by dawn80 » September 24th, 2021, 5:59 pm

Sure, Dawn! Welcome to LibriVox - glad to have you onboard!
I've noted on the source list that your story is being done. I don't know of a terrific resource for pronunciation - I always just google "pronounce such-and-such" and hope something good comes up. I do know, though, that the best policy is to figure out what seems the best way to say the word(s), and then record it with confidence, as if what you're saying couldn't possibly be off, so that it sounds natural instead of all hesitant. 8-)

Maybe our MC, MaryAnn knows of something?

P.S. We'll need to make you a Reader Page for the Catalog. What name would you like us to use for that?
[/quote]

Thank you,

Got it! Know it's right until I know its wrong :lol:

Can we just use Dawn80 as my Reader page name?

LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 24th, 2021, 6:25 pm

dawn80 wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 5:59 pm
Sure, Dawn! Welcome to LibriVox - glad to have you onboard!
I've noted on the source list that your story is being done. I don't know of a terrific resource for pronunciation - I always just google "pronounce such-and-such" and hope something good comes up. I do know, though, that the best policy is to figure out what seems the best way to say the word(s), and then record it with confidence, as if what you're saying couldn't possibly be off, so that it sounds natural instead of all hesitant. 8-)

Maybe our MC, MaryAnn knows of something?

P.S. We'll need to make you a Reader Page for the Catalog. What name would you like us to use for that?
Thank you,

Got it! Know it's right until I know its wrong :lol:

Can we just use Dawn80 as my Reader page name?
[/quote]

Absolutely! Plenty of folks do that. :)

Here's your Reader Page: Dawn80. When you get sections assigned to you in Magic Windows, you'll see that your page will list all the projects you're a part of, both in-progress and completed! It also has a link to tables that will list all the sections assigned to you for recording and/or for proof-listening.

figgisnewton
Posts: 9
Joined: August 20th, 2021, 10:10 am

Post by figgisnewton » September 25th, 2021, 5:08 pm

Hello,

I ran the file through the checker and it's showing 86.4dB, I re uploaded it as well.
Here is the new link : https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_behindthewaterfall_lanier_db_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if I need to change anything else :)
LCaulkins wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 1:13 pm
figgisnewton wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 10:59 am
Hello

The Giant Behind the Waterfall
A Book of Giants - Tales of very Tall Men of Myth, Legend, History, and Science.
Author: Henry Wysham Lanier
Read by Daly Blanton

Time 12:09

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_behindthewaterfall_lanier_db_128kb.mp3
Hi, figgisnewton!

(very cool name, by the way) - Welcome to LibriVox! And thank you for contributing to this collection. :)

PL Note for The Giant Behind the Waterfall:

Your recording is very good - I enjoyed the story, and had never heard this one before.

Nothing in the reading itself needs any editing. The track, though, is quite a bit too soft. It only comes up at 83.3 decibels, and needs to be between 86 and 92 decibels. Could you please raise the volume on the track, export the newer version to mp3, and upload the new file?

It's super easy to fix this if you're using Audacity (which is the only recording software I am familiar with). Just open the track, click Control-A to highlight the whole recording, and in the drop-down menu for Effects, choose "Amplify". Type 7 in the top box, and Enter. That'll give you a nice volume around 89dB. :)

Excited to have you onboard with us!

LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 25th, 2021, 5:29 pm

figgisnewton wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 5:08 pm
Hello,

I ran the file through the checker and it's showing 86.4dB, I re uploaded it as well.
Here is the new link : https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_behindthewaterfall_lanier_db_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if I need to change anything else :)
This is great now. :)

The Giant Behind the Waterfall is PL OK :thumbs:

Hope to see you around LibriVox some more!

BerthaMason
Posts: 12
Joined: August 8th, 2021, 3:58 am

Post by BerthaMason » September 28th, 2021, 3:17 am

Hi
This is The old woman and the crooked sixpence by Charles John Tibbits from Folk Lore and Legends
it is 4 mins 3 seconds


https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_theoldwomanandthecrookedsixpence_charlesjohntibbits_bm_128kb.mp3 3.80 KB

read by Bertha Mason
It's my first go apart from the poem of the week so feedback is welcome.

thanks

LCaulkins
Posts: 3339
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » September 28th, 2021, 5:52 am

BerthaMason wrote:
September 28th, 2021, 3:17 am
Hi
This is The old woman and the crooked sixpence by Charles John Tibbits from Folk Lore and Legends
it is 4 mins 3 seconds


https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw011_theoldwomanandthecrookedsixpence_charlesjohntibbits_bm_128kb.mp3 3.80 KB

read by Bertha Mason
It's my first go apart from the poem of the week so feedback is welcome.

thanks
Hi, Bertha - welcome to LibriVox!

Well, you're a natural! This is terrific. "The Old Woman and the Crooked Sixpence" is PL OK :thumbs:

Your pacing is great (most of us, myself included, have to train ourselves to slow down), inflections are pleasant and imbue the listening with interest, and all your technical specs are good. Carry on :)

(The only thing to fix in future, is when submitting a recording of your own choosing for collections, please include a link to the source you read from. I did recognize that you found this from the suggestions list, so I was able to find it. It's helpful to BCs, though, if you put the source link in your post with the file link.) :)

Hope to see you again around LibriVox!

BerthaMason
Posts: 12
Joined: August 8th, 2021, 3:58 am

Post by BerthaMason » September 28th, 2021, 8:34 am

Hi Lynette
Thanks so much for your encouraging comments.

I didn't think about the source, barely remembered to put in the author to be honest, will make sure to be on those details in future.

Thanks again
Bertha

Post Reply