[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 20 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EsoFlair

Post by EsoFlair »

Kitty wrote: July 24th, 2021, 9:53 am
EsoFlair wrote: July 24th, 2021, 7:59 amI think it's newbie excitement. I'm sure it will burn off.
haha, I know the feeling, but be warned....with many of us (including me) it never burnt off. LV can be addictive. :mrgreen:
I've recorded/edited it several times but I have no idea what I'm aiming for so I've submitted what I had in order to get some feedback as a guide for improvements.
I know how important a first feedback is, so I took the time as fast as I could to listen to your section and right away: it's lovely and restful to listen to your voice, not hectic, still emotional enough to not be boring. Nicely paced and clearly spoken. Easy to understand. I'm happy you chose a Rover section to participate in (I hope it won't be the last).

So as far as narrative is concerned, it's perfect. Textually all word perfect as well. I only have a few minor adjustments to recommend, concerning the silences. Anything over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener. I always recommend not exceeding 1.5 seconds, even between paragraphs, that's fully enough. I noticed two places where the silence felt dragging on too long for me, could you cut those down a little bit please ? Also one sentence in the intro needs re-recording, but the rest is fine. If you need help on how to insert new sentences, let me know and I give you a step by step.

Oh and as for "recorded it several times" ! Please don't do that too often. I know how boring it can be to re-record the same section again. Spot editing is the ticket, and very much encouraged. Learning how to edit in the early stage will save you much time with later sections. :)

Here are the time stamps that you need to adjust:

> at 0:08: "all Librivox recordings are in the public domain" - you forgot to say Librivox here

> from 0:29 to 0:32: between "Elizabeth Oakes Smith" and "ten to one" - I would significantly shorten the silence here

> from 2:21 to 2:23: between victimised even now" and "we wish" - shorten the silence

That's all. Please reupload with the exact same filename, the old one gets replaced by the new one then.

Thanks !

Sonia

Thank you for the feedback. Here is the new recording.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0120_01_various_128kb.mp3

time: 7:48
EsoFlair

Post by EsoFlair »

I would like to request section 2.

Thank you,

EsoFlair
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

EsoFlair wrote: July 24th, 2021, 12:25 pmI would like to request section 2.
8-) thank you, so happy you are coming back for more. This is a longer story, good luck with it !

Will Spot PL this afternoon. I did understand correctly that you only edited the parts I mentioned in my PL notes, not redid the whole ? Just making sure because you said "new" recording :? I need to know whether I need to relisten from scratch or not. (spot editing is preferred, as I mentioned before)

Sonia
EsoFlair

Post by EsoFlair »

Kitty wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:39 am
EsoFlair wrote: July 24th, 2021, 12:25 pmI would like to request section 2.
8-) thank you, so happy you are coming back fro more. This is a longer story, good luck with it !

Will Spot PL this afternoon. I did understand correctly that you only edited the parts I mentioned in my PL notes, not redid the whole ? Just making sure because you said "new" recording :? I need to know whether I need to relisten from scratch or not. (spot editing is preferred, as I mentioned before)

Sonia
I only edited.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

EsoFlair wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:58 amI only edited.
:thumbs: excellent and now :birthday: congrats to your first official PL ok section :clap: perfectly edited, I see you have no trouble with that. I predict, you definitley will enjoy it here. :mrgreen:

Thank you, and looking forward to the next story.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah, a very nice poem, and excellently narrated, thank you, Alan ! Again: PL ok right away.

Sonia
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

May I have section 6 please?
Thanks!
Faithann
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Faithann wrote: July 27th, 2021, 8:00 am May I have section 6 please?
Thanks!
Faithann
brushing up on your Scotch drawl ? :mrgreen: thanks, Faithann ! Lovely to hear another section from you. I also saw your section in Rover 18....will probably PL tomorrow though.

Sonia
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

Might I have Section 7, "The Miser's Wife"?

Thanks, Mike
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:44 amMight I have Section 7, "The Miser's Wife"?
super, thank you, Mike :thumbs: glad to have you in yet another Rover. I will PL your poem soon, I saw it.

Sonia
HebaM

Post by HebaM »

Hello!
I would like to request section 8, please. :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

HebaM wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:34 pmHello!
I would like to request section 8, please. :D
hello and a warm welcome to the forum and specifically this Rover project :)

Thank you for your interest in the Rover, and I can certainly reserve you the section for the time being. It's actually a short section to start out with, so a good choice for a new reader.

However, before you start recording, we strongly advice to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, please post the results back here, and then I can assign you the sections officially. For that I would need to open a personal reader page for you, so please also tell me which reader name you want to go by. Can be the same as the forum name or your real name, or whatever.

For the moment, I will reserve the sections for you for one month, to give you time to sort out the test. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Good luck with the test !

Sonia
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

Here is The Miser's Wife, section 7.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0120_07_various_128kb.mp3

12:05

All words double-checked, silence spaces measured. Right at 86dB on Checker. :thumbs:

Mike
AllenO

Post by AllenO »

I would like to return by taking on Section 9, A tale of an old Highlander.