[Complete] Short Science Fiction Collection 079-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
samanthamartin
Posts: 10
Joined: March 3rd, 2021, 11:53 am

Post by samanthamartin » May 16th, 2021, 12:14 pm

Hello!

The Ethicators by Willard Marsh
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_ethicators_marsh_sm_128kb.mp3
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/59375/59375-h/59375-h.htm

Duration: 11 minutes 22 seconds

Name: Samantha M.
Samantha

MichelleBallard
Posts: 14
Joined: May 11th, 2021, 12:13 am

Post by MichelleBallard » May 16th, 2021, 12:56 pm

Hello :) I really want to record The Eyes Have It, by Philip K. Dick at https://www.gutenberg.org/files/31516/31516-h/31516-h.htm
but I am confused about the public domain issue. If the author was born in 1928, then how can this be in the public domain? Please advise!

JamesJenkins
Posts: 218
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » May 17th, 2021, 4:49 am

MichelleBallard wrote:
May 16th, 2021, 12:56 pm
Hello :) I really want to record The Eyes Have It, by Philip K. Dick at https://www.gutenberg.org/files/31516/31516-h/31516-h.htm
but I am confused about the public domain issue. If the author was born in 1928, then how can this be in the public domain? Please advise!
It is public domain in the US because it was published in Science Fiction Stories 1953 and Extensive research did not uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was renewed.

PG (Project Gutenberg) checks for copyright renewal before listing as public domain.

If you do not live in the US, the copyright laws maybe different for you.

You can learn more about Librivox and public domain at https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Copyright_and_Public_Domain

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 2385
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » May 17th, 2021, 5:02 am

MichelleBallard wrote:
May 16th, 2021, 12:56 pm
Hello :) I really want to record The Eyes Have It, by Philip K. Dick at https://www.gutenberg.org/files/31516/31516-h/31516-h.htm
but I am confused about the public domain issue. If the author was born in 1928, then how can this be in the public domain? Please advise!
I started to write a longer answer but James beat me to it!

Almost all the works we record are known to be in the public domain because they were published in 1925 or earlier. In the US currently, copyright is automatic for 95 years from publication date, but in the olden days you had to renew your copyrights every 28 years. Many works were not renewed, especially on cheaper "lower quality" publications like magazines and juvenile books and such. But you have to do specific research to confirm that that is the case that most people don't know how to do reliably and it's easy to make a mess if you record and distribute something that isn't safely PD.

This is where Project Gutenberg is awesome because the dedicated people there (especially the ones who love golden age SF) make sure those more recently published stories were never renewed and are safe to make available. So the short answer to your question is, if you see it on Project Gutenberg, it's almost certainly public domain (there are a few exceptions from the early days when some internet technical documents and works by authors like Cory Doctorow, who wanted to freely distribute their works but retain copyright, were included at PG). If you are ever unsure of a work's status at Project Gutenberg, scroll down on the front page for that work and there is a table for the bibliographic record. There's a box for copyright status that will specify if a work is public domain in the US. But short answer for 1930s-1960s SF stories, if they are on Gutenberg, they are safe to use here.

As James said, this applies for people making recordings in the US only. Other countries often use the number of years since the death of the author to determine copyright status, so a work that is safely public domain in the US might not be for people living and recording elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

(and the very short answer is--you can record that Philip K. Dick story!)

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

JamesJenkins
Posts: 218
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » May 17th, 2021, 5:41 am

Rohan31 wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 1:51 pm
Here's one
Homesick by Lyn Venable
recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_homesick_venable_rf_128_kb.mp3
time: 15:16
Text: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/29599/29599-h/29599-h.htm

Thanks, Rohan
Rohan

Good job. It is PL OK

The file name should end 128kb.mp3 (no underline) not 128_kb.mp3, which I know makes checker unhappy. But you can ignore that part when you run the check.

You don't need to fix it on this recording Amy will change it when she does the catalog.

Thank you!

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

MichelleBallard
Posts: 14
Joined: May 11th, 2021, 12:13 am

Post by MichelleBallard » May 17th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Thank you so much for your response, James. I love your signature :clap:

MichelleBallard
Posts: 14
Joined: May 11th, 2021, 12:13 am

Post by MichelleBallard » May 17th, 2021, 12:03 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 5:02 am
[...]
Hope this helps!

(and the very short answer is--you can record that Philip K. Dick story!)

Colleen
Thank you for the long, short, and very short answers! All were very helpful.

gridsock
Posts: 11
Joined: May 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Post by gridsock » May 17th, 2021, 8:51 pm

Hello! I would like to be credited as Vianne B, please. Thanks!

The Next Logical Step
By Ben Bova
Analog Science Fact & Fiction May 1962
Time 17:30
Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_nextlogicalstep_bova_vb_128kb.mp3
Text at:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/28063/28063-h/28063-h.htm

Let me know if I need to change anything! :)

samanthamartin
Posts: 10
Joined: March 3rd, 2021, 11:53 am

Post by samanthamartin » May 18th, 2021, 6:06 am

samanthamartin wrote:
May 16th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Hello!

The Ethicators by Willard Marsh
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_ethicators_marsh_sm_128kb.mp3
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/59375/59375-h/59375-h.htm

Duration: 11 minutes 22 seconds

Name: Samantha M.

Hi! Has my reading been approved?
Samantha

JamesJenkins
Posts: 218
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » May 18th, 2021, 7:38 am

samanthamartin wrote:
May 16th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Hello!

The Ethicators by Willard Marsh
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_ethicators_marsh_sm_128kb.mp3
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/59375/59375-h/59375-h.htm

Duration: 11 minutes 22 seconds

Name: Samantha M.
Thanks Samantha it is PL ok.

Good Job :)

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9891
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » May 18th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Rohan31 wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 1:51 pm
Here's one
Homesick by Lyn Venable
recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_homesick_venable_rf_128_kb.mp3
time: 15:16
Text: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/29599/29599-h/29599-h.htm

Thanks, Rohan
Thanks for your story, Rohan!

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9891
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » May 18th, 2021, 7:21 pm

samanthamartin wrote:
May 16th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Hello!

The Ethicators by Willard Marsh
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_ethicators_marsh_sm_128kb.mp3
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/59375/59375-h/59375-h.htm

Duration: 11 minutes 22 seconds

Name: Samantha M.
Thanks for this, Samantha!

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9891
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » May 18th, 2021, 7:23 pm

gridsock wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 8:51 pm
Hello! I would like to be credited as Vianne B, please. Thanks!

The Next Logical Step
By Ben Bova
Analog Science Fact & Fiction May 1962
Time 17:30
Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_nextlogicalstep_bova_vb_128kb.mp3
Text at:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/28063/28063-h/28063-h.htm

Let me know if I need to change anything! :)
Thanks for your story, Gridsock!

JamesJenkins
Posts: 218
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » May 19th, 2021, 4:24 am

gridsock wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 8:51 pm
Hello! I would like to be credited as Vianne B, please. Thanks!

The Next Logical Step
By Ben Bova
Analog Science Fact & Fiction May 1962
Time 17:30
Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_nextlogicalstep_bova_vb_128kb.mp3
Text at:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/28063/28063-h/28063-h.htm

Let me know if I need to change anything! :)
Thanks Vianne.

Just one technical issues. The ending silence is 10 seconds, can you shorten it to about 5 seconds and resubmit?

All else is good.

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

gridsock
Posts: 11
Joined: May 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Post by gridsock » May 19th, 2021, 6:51 am

JamesJenkins wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 4:24 am
gridsock wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 8:51 pm
Hello! I would like to be credited as Vianne B, please. Thanks!

The Next Logical Step
By Ben Bova
Analog Science Fact & Fiction May 1962
Time 17:30
Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_nextlogicalstep_bova_vb_128kb.mp3
Text at:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/28063/28063-h/28063-h.htm

Let me know if I need to change anything! :)
Thanks Vianne.

Just one technical issues. The ending silence is 10 seconds, can you shorten it to about 5 seconds and resubmit?

All else is good.

James
Yep! Here's the updated link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf079_nextlogicalstep_bova_vb_128kb.mp3

Post Reply