[COMPLETE] Narratives of Colored Americans by A. Mott, M. S. Wood-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

leeann wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:46 am
silverquill wrote: May 13th, 2021, 8:20 am
leeann wrote: May 13th, 2021, 6:44 am May I claim these sections?

24 Repentance and Amendment in a Colored School at Christiansburg
63 Faith of a Poor Blind Woman/African Schools in New York
Thank you, and welcome!
I've assigned these two sections to you.
Thank you Larry. :)

Quick question...

The end of Section 24 is signed "—Am. Freedman."
Is Am. an abbreviation for something and how should I say it?

Sorry if that's a silly question! :mrgreen:
No silly questions, but we sometimes have silly answers. :lol:

Probably your guess is as good as mine, but I think here Am. is an abbreviation for American. But, in doubtful cases one can just read it as written a m freedman.
~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

PL Notes:

Section 1 (I do like Phillis Wheatley's poetry. It is too bad she died so young as she was an amazing woman.)
1. There needs to be just a tiny bit of silence added to the start so that it is between 0.5 and 1 second.
2. I would recommend running this through noise reduction to clean up the background noise throughout. It will give the listener a better listening experience.
3. At about 5:15, I hear "moral" in the poem line "5:15 sounds like "moral" in the poem line "Attune the harp to more than mortal lays".
4. At about 6:18, I hear "thy" in the poem line "Which Thou hast promised for the Saviour's sake."
5. At about 8:23, please add "one" to "end of section".

Section 2 (That poor man. What a horrible experience.)
1. Your volume is too high here. Please reduce it by around 3dB.
2. At about 5:42, please add the "two" to the "end of section".
3. Running this through noise reduction wouldn't hurt to clear up the background noise, but isn't necessary as it is not that distracting and reducing the volume might clear that up too.

Section 3
1. At around 0:27, there are some loud noises. I would suggest you delete those.
2. At around 3:02, please add the "three" to "end of section".

Section 4
1. At about 4:25, please add the "four" to "end of section".
2. The volume here is acceptable, but on the high side. It doesn't need to be changed here unless you wish to, but I believe the desired range is 89-90 dB. (Larry can correct me here if I am wrong.)

I did enjoy listening to your reading. I could hear it getting better and better as I progressed through the sections. :)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

DariaAM wrote: May 16th, 2021, 1:38 am https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_07_mott_128kb.mp3
Here is section 7. Time is at 5:02
Section 7 is PL OK.

I do have one comment. The volume is at the bottom of the acceptable range. In future, I would suggest amplifying it about 3dB to get it to 89dB.

It was nicely read especially the part of the naughty son.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I was so sure I was going to get you on this one. But, alas, it wasn't a rhyming line that the words were out of order; and since the meaning was still the same, I give it a PL OK.

Here is the line, at ~2:36, for your information: "Will Christ accept so mean a gift?" whereas you have "Will Christ accept a gift so mean?

I enjoyed your reading of the poem.

Thanks,

M
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mleigh wrote: May 15th, 2021, 3:44 pm
Larry,

Sections 0, 29, and 33 are PL OK.

Section 71 - has one minor little issue and one bigger one. The small one is there is about an extra 0.5 seconds at the start. The bigger one is at the end.
~1:28 you have M.S. Sutton instead of M.S. Wood. Sorry, I can't let that one pass. :)

You were right. They are quite interesting to listen to. Although, for what I can tell from what I've heard and read, there seems to be a bit of stereotyping going on, "massa" anyone - I really doubt the subjects of the tales were all illiterate.

Anyway - nice recordings, except for the name.

Thanks,

M

Section 25 is also PL OK.
Where did "Sutton" come from? :shock:
One of my other projects, I suppose.
But so glad you caught it. That would be a horrible way to end the book.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_71_mott_128kb.mp3 1:32

And, yes, these pieces do reflect the era in which they were written with all its distortions.
But, even the black poets of that era used some of this language, in Paul Laurence Dunbar, for instance.

Thanks for your careful PL :9:
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I just looked back at the first post and realized it was written as M. S. Sutton there. It must have automatically populated that way based on how the Mary Sutton Wood was entered in the template. I don't see it anywhere else in the first post, which is odd. :hmm: Anyway, I corrected it, now that it doesn't matter. :mrgreen:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

mleigh wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:32 pm
I was so sure I was going to get you on this one. But, alas, it wasn't a rhyming line that the words were out of order; and since the meaning was still the same, I give it a PL OK.
Here is the line, at ~2:36, for your information: "Will Christ accept so mean a gift?" whereas you have "Will Christ accept a gift so mean?
I only put that error in to make sure you were really paying attention :lol:
But seriously, I will correct it if you want me to :oops:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
leeann

Post by leeann »

silverquill wrote: May 16th, 2021, 7:19 am
leeann wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:46 am
silverquill wrote: May 13th, 2021, 8:20 am

Thank you, and welcome!
I've assigned these two sections to you.
Thank you Larry. :)

Quick question...

The end of Section 24 is signed "—Am. Freedman."
Is Am. an abbreviation for something and how should I say it?

Sorry if that's a silly question! :mrgreen:
No silly questions, but we sometimes have silly answers. :lol:

Probably your guess is as good as mine, but I think here Am. is an abbreviation for American. But, in doubtful cases one can just read it as written a m freedman.
I think American makes the most sense in this context so I'll go with that. Thanks! :D
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

hunterv

Post by hunterv »

I would like to claim:
31. The African Servant (2125 Words)
40. Solomon Bayley (2794 word)
55. Uncle Harry (2284 Words)
:D
Victoria Hunter
speaker987

Post by speaker987 »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

hunterv wrote: May 17th, 2021, 5:56 pm I would like to claim:
31. The African Servant (2125 Words)
40. Solomon Bayley (2794 word)
55. Uncle Harry (2284 Words)
:D
Thank you!
I've assigned these sections to you.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

speaker987 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 8:23 pm Thanks for the feedback and encouragement- here are the adjustments & corrections.. hope they sound better- audacity not cooperating with saving some additions and clicks removals :-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_01_mott_128kb.mp3 8m 23sec
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_02_mott_128kb.mp3 5mn 44sec
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_03_mott_128kb.mp3 3mn 7sec
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_04_mott_128kb.mp3 4mn 27sec

Darrell
Thank you for working on these!
I've update the MW and marked these Ready for Spot PL.
~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

silverquill wrote: May 16th, 2021, 7:44 pm
mleigh wrote: May 15th, 2021, 3:44 pm
Larry,

Sections 0, 29, and 33 are PL OK.

Section 71 - has one minor little issue and one bigger one. The small one is there is about an extra 0.5 seconds at the start. The bigger one is at the end.
~1:28 you have M.S. Sutton instead of M.S. Wood. Sorry, I can't let that one pass. :)

You were right. They are quite interesting to listen to. Although, for what I can tell from what I've heard and read, there seems to be a bit of stereotyping going on, "massa" anyone - I really doubt the subjects of the tales were all illiterate.

Anyway - nice recordings, except for the name.

Thanks,

M

Section 25 is also PL OK.
Where did "Sutton" come from? :shock:
One of my other projects, I suppose.
But so glad you caught it. That would be a horrible way to end the book.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/narrativesofcoloredamericans_71_mott_128kb.mp3 1:32

And, yes, these pieces do reflect the era in which they were written with all its distortions.
But, even the black poets of that era used some of this language, in Paul Laurence Dunbar, for instance.

Thanks for your careful PL :9:
71 is PL OK now. :)

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

alanmapstone wrote: May 16th, 2021, 8:43 pm
mleigh wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:32 pm
I only put that error in to make sure you were really paying attention :lol:
But seriously, I will correct it if you want me to :oops:
You are fine. I did mark it as ok as the meaning isn't changed at all.

M