• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/short-science-fiction-collection-079-by-various/Science fiction is a genre encompassing imaginative works that take place in this world or that of the author’s creation where anything is possible. The only rules are those set forth by the author. The speculative nature of the genre inspires thought and plants seeds that have led to advances in science. The genre can spark an interest in the sciences and is cited as the impetus for the career choice of many scientists. It is a playing field to explore social perspectives, predictions of the future, and engage in adventures unbound into the richness of the human mind. ( A. Gramour)
- This collection is for science fiction stories of less than 70 minutes in duration that are in the Public Domain(with expired copyright, or published before 1925). Gutenberg plain text, us-ascii, uncompressed files of less than 78 KB or 10,000 story words can generally be read in less than 70 minutes.
Claiming stories is unnecessary (duplicates are held for future collections)
Librivox threads on Science fiction in the public domain and the new arrivals in PG can be found here: List of Early Science Fiction and More Recent Sci Fi.
Project Gutenberg’s Science Fiction Bookshelf is a good starting point.
Project Gutenberg continues to add science fiction magazines such as The Galaxy and Astounding Stories. There you can view the fantastic covers and illustrations that accompany the stories.
The Science Fiction Short Stories Science Fiction Short Stories page shows stories that can be read in less than 60 minutes.
• Recording must be a monaural MP3 file with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and a bit rate of 128 Kbps.
• File name must be formatted entirely in lower case letters and use under-bars to separate values as in:
ssf079_titleinoneword_authorlastname_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (e.g. ssf079_nightfall_asimov_abc_128kb.mp3) Exclude definite articles like “The” from the file name.
Recordings require 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file.
“[story title] by [author]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
You can then optionally say: "Recording by [your name]".
Then repeat: "[Title], by [author]. Translated by [translator]."
"End of [title], by [author] Translated by [translator]."
You can then optionally say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
• Recordings require 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file.
Posting completed recordings:
• Send your completed recording to us by using the LibriVox Uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- For help with posting completed recordings see the How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
o The story title
o The author’s name
o The URL displayed by the LibriVox Uploader after the file has successfully uploaded
o The URL for the online version of the text. So there can be a choice of file format to download, please use the Gutenberg main page for the source such as https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29975
o The duration of the recording
• If this is your first submission to the Short Science Fiction Collections please provide:
o Your name/pseudonym as you wish it to appear in the LibriVox catalog
o Your personal website URL (optional)
• Check this forum thread frequently for messages pertaining to your story!
Level of prooflistening: standard
For help with recording issues see the LibriVox Newbie Guide to Recording.
For help with noise cleaning in your recordings see theNoise Cleaningpage of the LibriVox wiki.
More help with most anything can be found in Need Help?Got Advice? forum topic
Questions can be posted to this thread.
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
Please post below.
Live and Prosper!