Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 082 - jo

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17714
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » April 21st, 2021, 2:26 pm

The Red Fox is PL OK, Sue. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4258
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » April 21st, 2021, 2:34 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 2:26 pm
The Red Fox is PL OK, Sue. :)
Thanks for the PL, Jo! :D

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4258
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » April 21st, 2021, 5:36 pm

soupy wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 10:09 am
Hi Sue! Here is one for you.

What Means, to Orient Oneself in Thinking?
By Immanuel Kant October 1786

The text from the book
https://archive.org/details/essaysandtreati01kantgoog/page/n403/mode/1up

I put it on word.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wnsu2Gotm3Yq_YQaLGO2_gcBjmiRj1Aq/view?usp=sharing

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf082_whatmeansorient_kant_cc_128kb.mp3

46:18

Craig
Hi Craig, Thank you for contributing this essay by Kant to vol. 082! :D According to the Cambridge University Press, "The “Orientation” essay is Kant's contribution to the so-called pantheism controversy, one of the eighteenth century's most famous and influential philosophical disputes, whose course helped determine the course of German philosophy well into the following century." https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/religion-and-rational-theology/what-does-it-mean-to-orient-oneself-in-thinking-1786/1DE87A0504EBD18EC0DE76B53C1BB4D1

There are a few edits needed. Following the SNF's Special Standards for proof listening, which reflect the SNF's concern for accuracy in reading nonfiction material, these are mostly places where I judged that your reading changed the meaning of the text.

page 389, at 4:16: Text reads "and with a just zeal..." You said "and with just zest"

page 397, at 21:16: Text reads "It was therefore not cognition but a felt want of reason..." You left out the word "felt"

page 397, at 22:49: Text reads "The necessity of the former mean could have place.." You read "could not"

page 397, at 23:03: Text reads "if together with a longer life had been granted the phansy of mind..." You read "phansy of mind" as "pansy of mind." I do not have access to the original German text, nor do I read German, but "pansy of mind" doesn't make sense to me. The word "phansy" is not in my Oxford English Dictionary. I think the word is an obsolete or obscure spelling of "fancy" as in "fancy of mind..." the "ph" sounding like the "f" in Pharisee."

page 398, at 23:43: Text reads "He denominated reason in its latter use the common reason of man..."
You read "common sense."

page 398 at 24:15 "and may be taken, either, as Mendelssohn himself misunderstod it..." You said "as Mendelssohn himself understood it."

page 398 24:31 Text: "it will be necessary to distinguish this source of judgement..." You said "it will be nearly to distinguish..."

page 400, footnote: 27:56 Text says "Now I may be fully certain that nobody can refute the position, There is a God..." You said "can refute the proposition"

page 400, at 29:35 Text reads "A conception of God must however serve as a rule to judge whether this phaenomenon agree..." You said "serve as a rule to judge where..."

page 402, footnote, 32:42 Text reads "It is not to be comprehended how these men of letters could find aid to Spinozism in the Critic of Pure Reason." The German title is Kritik der reinen Vernunft. The translator has approximated the German word "Kritik" with "Critic." However, the the current accepted way of referring to this work is as The Critique of Pure Reason, and "critic" sounded very odd to my ear. I think the Kant's book should be referred to as The Critique of Pure Reason throughout this footnote.

Later in the same footnote at 34:18: "and wherein a contradiction can never be met with, and is not able to support this boundless pretension by any thing." You said "not able to suppose"

Thank you for your reading!

soupy
Posts: 4353
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » April 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm

Thanks for the careful PL Sue. I appreciate it. This essay doesn't seem to be readily available in many places so I thought I would make it available.

Critic didn't sould so good to me but that was what he wrote. I changed it to The Critique of Pure Reason -

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf082_whatmeansorient_kant_cc_128kb.mp3

46:22

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4258
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » April 22nd, 2021, 5:14 am

Thanks for the edits, Craig. PL OK.

saoussen
Posts: 20
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 8:58 am

Post by saoussen » April 22nd, 2021, 10:00 am

hi sue,
thank you very much for listening to my work. i greatly appreciate your time and effort . yes this book was quite long and it took me some time to finish. i'm also not a native English speaker so i struggled with alot of words. this is my second work in Librivox so i could use as many advices as i can However, i will correct the mispronounciation and re-upload it. could you please suggest another short non fiction book for me to narrate next, i would appreciate that.

have a great day. :D

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4258
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » April 22nd, 2021, 12:36 pm

saoussen wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 10:00 am
hi sue,
thank you very much for listening to my work. i greatly appreciate your time and effort . yes this book was quite long and it took me some time to finish. i'm also not a native English speaker so i struggled with alot of words. this is my second work in Librivox so i could use as many advices as i can However, i will correct the mispronounciation and re-upload it. could you please suggest another short non fiction book for me to narrate next, i would appreciate that.

have a great day. :D
Hi Saoussen,

I have the feeling that your in-person conversational English is quite good, because the "flow" of your recording was quite good. It's all the new words having to be put in place at once that caused the stumbles.

As you know, we don't dictate to people what to read at the SNF, but since you asked me for advice on what to read next, I'm going to make a suggestion. Really, what I'm going to suggest is a "method" which approximates how foreign languages were (maybe still are?) taught--the language lab approach, where you listened to a recording in the foreign language and then you tried to duplicate the words or text yourself. I think they've modernized this approach since my time. Our public library has many "learn a foreign language" programs to download and use, and one of them actually lets you compare the the "sound waves" of the foreign words and your pronunciation of them on what looks like two Audacity screens side by side on your computer.

Anyway, LibriVox has no restrictions on duplicate recordings. Since you recorded Bergson, you must be interested in psychology, philosophy, or dreams. And now you know how to pronounce Sigmund Freud's name! Why don't you look at Freud's book about dreams, (or any other) written by Freud, which have been recorded by LibriVoxers. Then pick a short chapter which appeals to you for your next SNF read; listen to it. Then put the chapter up on your computer, and listen to it in "chunks" as you record the same chapter. That way, when you come to a new word, or have trouble with pronunciation, you have a "real person," a LibriVoxer "to help you out."

The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud: https://librivox.org/the-interpretation-of-dreams-by-sigmund-freud/

I listened to a few of the chapters to find somebody whose reading voice is "clear American English." You might try

Chapter 11, The method of dream interpretation, part 1, read by Matthew Westra, 21 minutes recording time.
https://ia902803.us.archive.org/11/items/interpretationofdreams_1401_librivox/interpretationofdreams_10_freud_128kb.mp3

Chapter V d: Typical Dreams - Embarrassing Dreams of Being Naked, read by Pamela Krantz (a particularly clear female voice), 18 minutes recording time.
https://ia802803.us.archive.org/11/items/interpretationofdreams_1401_librivox/interpretationofdreams_20_freud_128kb.mp3

______________________

Just a reminder, too, that LibriVox has a place for recordings in ALL foreign languages. Take a look at the "Multilingual Short Works Collection"
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=86458

Also, look at "Readers wanted, languages other than English." There are many openings, depending on what language:
viewforum.php?f=60

Regards,

saoussen
Posts: 20
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 8:58 am

Post by saoussen » April 22nd, 2021, 2:30 pm

Thank you very much for your advice and suggestions, i will definitely be checking them out as soon as i can.

i had just finished re-recording the mispronounciations. hope it sounds better now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf08_dreams_bergson_saoussen_128kb.mp3
01:08:05

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4258
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » April 22nd, 2021, 3:30 pm

saoussen wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 2:30 pm
Thank you very much for your advice and suggestions, i will definitely be checking them out as soon as i can.

i had just finished re-recording the mispronounciations. hope it sounds better now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf08_dreams_bergson_saoussen_128kb.mp3
01:08:05
Hi Saoussen, For some reason, I'm having trouble downloading the file you just uploaded. I'm not sure what the trouble is, but could you be so kind as to upload it again to knotyouraveragejo's mailbox? Thank you very much.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17714
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » April 22nd, 2021, 4:19 pm

Might be my fault, Sue. I was cleaning up my uploader folder and noticed that the filename started snf08 instead of snf082 so I fixed the latest upload behind the scenes and updated the link in the MW. This link should work -

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf082_dreams_bergson_saoussen_128kb.mp3

Sorry about that!
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4258
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » April 22nd, 2021, 4:51 pm

Thanks, Jo!

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4258
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » April 22nd, 2021, 4:52 pm

saoussen wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 2:30 pm
Thank you very much for your advice and suggestions, i will definitely be checking them out as soon as i can.

i had just finished re-recording the mispronounciations. hope it sounds better now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf08_dreams_bergson_saoussen_128kb.mp3
01:08:05
Thanks, Saoussen, for being so prompt with your edits! PL OK now! :D

soupy
Posts: 4353
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » April 23rd, 2021, 9:58 am

The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4258
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » April 23rd, 2021, 2:30 pm

soupy wrote:
April 23rd, 2021, 9:58 am
Answer To The Question, What Is Enlightening? Version 2
By Immanuel Kant 1784
https://archive.org/details/essaysandtreati01kantgoog/page/n27/mode/1up

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf082_whatisenlightening_kant_cc_128kb.mp3

23:08

Craig
Hi Craig, Thanks for bringing to light again Kant's essay "Answer to the Question, What is Enlightening?" which was read for the very first volume of the Short Nonfiction cataloged in August, 2007! :D

Kant remains eternal. Some "things LibriVox" have changed since 2007, among them the present concern with using sources that are likely to endure, such as archive.org. The source Leon Mire read from back in 2007 is no longer available on the web.

I did a bit of sleuthing regarding the anonymous translator of the essay. He has been identified as one John Richardson (no birth/death dates that I could find.)
https://users.manchester.edu/facstaff/ssnaragon/kant/Helps/KantsWritingsTranslations.htm#Enlightenment

https://users.manchester.edu/facstaff/ssnaragon/kant/Helps/KantsWritingsTranslations.htm#Richardson1798

I also found an interesting blog post about Richardson's translation, written by Prof. James Schmidt of Boston University. Schmidt particularly likes Richardson's use of the words "enlightening" [rather than Enlightenment] and "nonage." https://persistentenlightenment.com/2013/05/28/translatingkant1/

Overall, your recording was true to the text. There are only two small places that need emendation. One is at 8:36, page 7, The text reads "The very same person, not withstanding that, does not act contrary to the duty of a citizen..." You read this as "The very same person not withstanding that he does not act..." The clause "not withstanding that" is a backward looking reference, but you have interpreted it, I think, as forward looking, which is why you inserted the "he." Thus, you need to pause at the commas, and eliminate the "he."

The other slip is at the end, where you say "End of ..." You say "enlightenment" instead of "enlightening."

It's a lively essay! :D

soupy
Posts: 4353
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » April 23rd, 2021, 5:02 pm

Thanks Sue :thumbs:
The text reads "The very same person, not withstanding that, does not act contrary to the duty of a citizen..." You read this as "The very same person not withstanding that he does not act..." The clause "not withstanding that" is a backward looking reference, but you have interpreted it, I think, as forward looking, which is why you inserted the "he."
Yes I thought it was needing a he there so I inserted it. Fixed both.

I noiticed the other link didn't go anywhere.

The text seems to say Richardson sold the book. But your sources say not.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf082_whatisenlightening_kant_cc_128kb.mp3

23:08

Kant's connection to Moses Mendelssohn is interesting

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge

Post Reply