Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 076 - jo

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann » June 30th, 2020, 8:28 am

Hi Craid:

Unless I made some fatal error, the John Adams letter is corrected.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_johadamslettertoabigailadams_adams_dg_128kb.mp3

Every thing else is as it was. I have reread it from 3:11 (it is easier for me than rereading several pieces, and I think it gives a more uniform reading)

Thank you for finding all those errors.

Dale

Grothmann

Post by Grothmann » June 30th, 2020, 8:32 am

Hi, Craig:

The 13:18 reading is the new one. The revised one, after all the proforma, begins with something like "By the Louisiana statute..." about :34 in. The other one was shorter, and has been replaced. Thanks
Dale

soupy

Post by soupy » June 30th, 2020, 8:36 am

Thanks Dale :D

A few errors still remain.

3:31 in Town and County Meetings, as well as in private Conversations - you said country

4:30 You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not - You will think me transported repeated

5:00 And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction - you said the

I think that is important because he's referring to the 3rd of July.

Craig
To murder in cold blood all joy in life for him who has no money is a dreadful thing and that is what the moneyed man does.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

Grothmann

Post by Grothmann » June 30th, 2020, 9:47 am

Hi again, Craig:

Let us try again. I have made the corrections and reloaded the file. Please, if you find anything, I want to get this right. (I hate reading authors I really respect. You have to work so hard to give the work the respect it deserves)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_johadamslettertoabigailadams_adams_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Dale

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson » June 30th, 2020, 9:59 am

soupy wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 7:49 am
Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (US Supreme Court 1896)
Judge Harlan's dissent
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 18:19 (*Pleased note the new time")
I only see the 13:18 audio when trying to PL this reading Sue and Dale.

Craig
Dale and Craig,

I have revisited Dale's recording, listening along with the Cornell Text. I'm thinking, perhaps, Dale, that the 13 minute recording you uploaded is not the one you meant to upload (?) since you said that your new recording is 18:19 minutes long, In the recording you sent, parts of the Cornell text are missing. Specifically (using the paragraph numbering from the Cornell text), paragraphs 37-39, 41-47 and 50 from the Cornell text are missing.

I did not listen to the 13 minute recording with a "word perfect" ear, but there are some slips that I heard which changed meanings or were confusing, for instance at 7:02.5 and 7:26, where the words "when" and "which" are confounded.

Also, at 12:23.5, there are parts of two sentences missing. ("race prejudice was practically the Supreme law of the land. Those decisions cannot be guided..."

My feeling is this--that if, Dale, you would like to read the full text of Harlan's dissent, you should not be under obligation to produce it "instantaneously" so to speak--that is to be hurried in your recording. This is such an important document, that it will be listened to by many people. It's better to go slowly and be sure with such important documents. If you want to take a little more time with this before you send up the 18 minute version, I can save you your spot in vol. 076, which, right now is just starting up, and that way you won't feel under immediate pressure.

Grothmann

Post by Grothmann » June 30th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Hi

The text I used is

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/163/537 Beginning after Paragraph 29 “Mr. Justice HARLAN dissenting. “

I will recheck the recording against this text, and see if there are any deficiencies. But you are correct, this should not be rushed.

Thanks
Dale

soupy

Post by soupy » June 30th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Thanks Dale - Adams is PLOK - Thanks for keeping at it :thumbs:

Craig
To murder in cold blood all joy in life for him who has no money is a dreadful thing and that is what the moneyed man does.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

Grothmann

Post by Grothmann » July 1st, 2020, 6:42 pm

Hi:

I believe this is a consistent reading of the script (except one time where I said "on" and not "upon" and decided it was too hard to correct.

Please disregard all previous posts.

Judge Harlan's dissent
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 34:24

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_plessyvferguson_harlan_dg_128kb.mp3
Text at --
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/163/537

I believe I found out what happened the last times. My OCR program is randomly omitting parts of the original. Very annoying, and makes it useless for my purposes. Oh well, I guess one gets what one pays for (and this was Freeware).

Thanks, everyone, for all your time on this project.
Dale

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson » July 2nd, 2020, 2:47 am

Grothmann wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:42 pm
Hi:

I believe this is a consistent reading of the script (except one time where I said "on" and not "upon" and decided it was too hard to correct.

Judge Harlan's dissent
Read by Dale Grothmann

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_plessyvferguson_harlan_dg_128kb.mp3
Text at --

I believe I found out what happened the last times. My OCR program is randomly omitting parts of the original. Very annoying, and makes it useless for my purposes. Oh well, I guess one gets what one pays for (and this was Freeware).

Dale
Hi Dale, Thanks! :D I'll give this a listen myself a little later today.

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson » July 2nd, 2020, 9:39 am

Grothmann wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:42 pm
Hi:

Judge Harlan's dissent
Read by Dale Grothmann

Audio at:
Text at --

Dale
Hi Dale, Thank you for undertaking to read Justice Harlan's dissent in it's totality! :) This is unquestionably an important document, and I am sure that many persons will listen to your recording and, and, in so doing, learn about a crucial turning point in the history of civil rights legislation in this country. I certainly did.

Overall, your recording is well done--something to be proud of. You have a great reading voice, firm, and carrying a weight of "authority" appropriate to the gravity of Justice Harlan's remarks!

Normally, as BC, I do not do any PLing, but with Justice Harlan's remarks, I decided that it would be a good idea for both Craig and I to PL this selection. The real pith of Harlan's argument is contained in just a few sections (paragraphs 43-53), and, because of the sensitivity of Harlan's remarks in these sections, I would ask that you read these sections as close to "word perfect" as you can. Craig may pick up some things when he does his PL, but what follows is a list of those places where what you said deviated enough from the text that I felt it would be wise to record a correction.

Paragraph 38:
11:44 "lessening the security of their enjoyment of rights..." You said "scrutiny of their employment"

12: 15 "Strauder v. West Virginia" You said "Saunders"

Paragraph 45:

23:04.0 "The present decision, it may well be apprehended, will not only stimulate aggressions..." You said "appended"

23:19 "but will encourage the belief that it is possible, by means of state enactments, to defeat the beneficent purposes which the people of the United States..." You said "benefit purposes"

23:37 "and whose privileges and immunities, as citizen, the states are forbidden to abridge... "You said "those privileges"

24:28 "that they cannot be allowed to sit in public coaches occupied by white citizens." You said "that they cannot sit in public coaches"

Paragraph 46

25:33 "This question is not met by the suggestion that social equality cannot exist ..." You said "social equity"

25:46 "for social equality no more exists between two races..." Again you said "social equity"

25:55 "than when members of the same races" You said "same race" [singular]

Paragraph 48:

28:07 "wholly inconsistent with the civil freedom and the equality before the law" You said "equity before the law"

30:33 "If the 'partition' used in the court room happens to e stationary, provision could be made" You said "should be made"

Paragraph 53:
"For the reason stated, I am constrained to withhold my assent from the opinion and judgement of the majority. You left off "and judgement of the majority.

Please wait until we have Craig's DPL before you do anything...

We appreciate the efforts you have made with this recording, which will make a great contribution to Volume 076! :D

Best wishes,

soupy

Post by soupy » July 2nd, 2020, 11:53 am

Hi Dale :D

I went through with a fine comb and found many errors - some of which need not be corrected under standard pl but I list them here for your consideration. I've included Sue's list in this one.

Thanks for all the time you've spent on this. :thumbs:

Craig

S30
1:42 If a passenger insists upon going into a coach or compartment not set apart for persons of his race, you said aside

2:00 neglect of the officers, directors, conductors, and employees of railroad companies to comply with the provisions of the act. You said of the railroad company

S 31
2:32 even if his condition of health requires the constant personal assistance of such servant. – you said of such a servant

S 32
3:14 So that we have before us a state enactment that compels, under penalties, - you said so what we have before us is a state enactment

S35
4:43 said: 'That railroads, though constructed by private corporations, - you said says
4:58 ever since such conveniences for passage and transportation have had any existence. You said ever since the conveyance for passage
5:44 What else does this doctrine mean if not that building a railroad -you said could this doctrine mean if not that the building of a railroad

S36
7:54 is inconsistent not only with that equality of rights which pertains to citizenship, You said not only with the equality of rights

S37
8:09 The thirteenth amendment does not permit the withholding or the deprivation of any right necessarily inhering in freedom. You said withholding or deprivation
8:48 it was followed by the fourteenth amendment, - you said it is followed
9:32 nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.' - forgot to say to
Paragraph 38:
11:44 "lessening the security of their enjoyment of rights. which others enjoy; and discriminations.." You said "scrutiny of their employment of rights which others enjoy; and the discriminations "
12: 15 "Strauder v. West Virginia" You said "Saunders"

S39
13:24 the scope of the recent amendments of the constitution. – you said to the constitution

S 40
14:07 as to exclude colored people from coaches occupied by or assigned to white persons. You said from the coaches
15:24 and no government, proceeding alone on grounds of race -- you said alone on the grounds of

S41
15:35 It is one thing for railroad carriers to furnish you said It is one thing for a railroad carriers to furnish
15:43 for all whom they are under a legal duty to carry. It is quite another thing for government to forbid citizens You said for all whom they are under legal duty to carry. It is quite another thing for the government to forbid citizens

S42
17:58 with the policy or expediency of legislation. You said expedience
19:29 the intent of the legislature is to be respected if the particular statute in question is valid you said - the intent of the legislation

Paragraph 45:
22:39 The recent amendments of the constitution, it was supposed, had eradicated these principles from our institutions. You said it is supposed
23:04.0 "The present decision, it may well be apprehended, will not only stimulate aggressions..." You said "appended"
23:19 "but will encourage the belief that it is possible, by means of state enactments, to defeat the beneficent purposes which the people of the United States..." You said "benefit purposes"
23:37 "and whose privileges and immunities, as citizen, the states are forbidden to abridge... "You said "those privileges"
24:28 "that they cannot be allowed to sit in public coaches occupied by white citizens." You said "that they cannot sit in public coaches"

Paragraph 46
25:25 the continuance of which must do harm to all concerned. – you said continuation of which
25:33 "This question is not met by the suggestion that social equality cannot exist ..." You said "social equity"
25:46 "for social equality no more exists between two races when traveling in a passenger coach or a public highway ..." Again you said "social equity" and on a public highway
25:55 "than when members of the same races" You said "same race" [singular]

Paragraph 48:
28:07 "wholly inconsistent with the civil freedom and the equality before the law" You said "equity before the law"

S49
28:17 If evils will result from the commingling of the two races upon public highways established for the benefit of all - you said upon the public highways
30:33 "If the 'partition' used in the court room happens to e stationary, provision could be made" You said "should be made"

S51
31:06 I do not deem it necessary to review the decisions of state courts to which reference was made in argument. You said I do not deem it necessary to review the decision of the state courts
31:48 Those decisions cannot be guides in the era introduced by the recent amendments of the supreme law, you said to the era introduced

S52
32:19 I am of opinion that the state of Louisiana is inconsistent with the personal liberty of citizens, white and black, in that state, and hostile to both the spirit and letter of the constitution of the United States. – you said I am of the opinion and the spirit and the letter

Paragraph 53:
"For the reason stated, I am constrained to withhold my assent from the opinion and judgement of the majority. You left off "and judgement of the majority.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

Grothmann

Post by Grothmann » July 2nd, 2020, 12:34 pm

Maybe nt ready

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 2nd, 2020, 3:53 pm

May I record one chapter from this book: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62541?

I would like to read the one chapter---that could stand alone---which deals with Brazil.

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson » July 2nd, 2020, 4:43 pm

KevinS wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 3:53 pm
May I record one chapter from this book: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62541?

I would like to read the one chapter---that could stand alone---which deals with Brazil.
Good choice; sounds fine! :)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 2nd, 2020, 4:48 pm

Sue Anderson wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 4:43 pm
KevinS wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 3:53 pm

Good choice; sounds fine! :)
Thank you!