[COMPLETE] The Anzac Book by various - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

adr6090 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 7:11 pm
I have never used the word "cobber" though it sounds like a great word to re- introduce to soceity. ...

I see all 3 of my chosen sections have not done well.
Thank you for fixing section 76 & I will fix the other 2 tomorrow & get them reposted.
These, days, I’m guessing cobber has been replaced by ‘mate’ and also ‘buddy’ since we pick up so many expressions from the USA
regards
Jane Bennett
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Jmbau13 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:40 pm
adr6090 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 7:11 pm
I have never used the word "cobber" though it sounds like a great word to re- introduce to soceity. ...

I see all 3 of my chosen sections have not done well.
Thank you for fixing section 76 & I will fix the other 2 tomorrow & get them reposted.
These, days, I’m guessing cobber has been replaced by ‘mate’ and also ‘buddy’ since we pick up so many expressions from the USA
Pal & buddy are definite USA expressions. Mate possibly just not where I live at. Soooo many word choices so why stay with the same ones forever? Nope, no time for that nonsense, eh? lol
nighthawks

Post by nighthawks »

Do I need to put the name of the poet in section 17, How Shall I Die by Private Chas Lowry. in my recording. :hmm:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

nighthawks wrote: April 8th, 2020, 11:40 am Do I need to put the name of the poet in section 17, How Shall I Die by Private Chas Lowry. in my recording. :hmm:
I think the one time at the beginning (in the section title) is sufficient. 'Chas.', by the way, is short for 'Charles' so you can read the full name.

Thanks very much for your interest in this project!
paulbrianstewart

Post by paulbrianstewart »

Hi Tricia,
Here is section 5, An Australian Home in 1930 by Soldieroo

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anzacbook_05_various_128kb.mp3

Length: 5:46
FileSize: 5.3mb

Looking forward to welcome any feedback or critique on how to improve.
Have a great week,
Paul Stewart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

paulbrianstewart wrote: April 8th, 2020, 6:04 pm Hi Tricia,

Have a great week,
Paul Stewart
Thank you! MW updated.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

nighthawks wrote: April 7th, 2020, 11:01 am Here is Section 13. The Neverending Chase.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/theanzacbook_13_various_128kb.mp3

00:46

:D
Thank you for this. It was almost perfect but for the unacceptably long (>5 secs) silence between the end of the poem and you reading the 'end of section' bit. There's never a reason to leave any silence greater than 2 secs (at most) within a recording. Could you please reduce it below 2 secs and re-send?
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Have a great week,
Paul Stewart
Hello Paul. Thank you for this. It's a very nice reading. I like your voice, the pace of reading and the way you read it to make sense.
However, there are quite a few errors that have crept in:

~ 0:19 Could you leave about 1.5 secs between your name and announcing the title please? You've left barely 1/2 sec, and I thought at first it was still part of your reader attribution it followed so quickly.
~0.19 You've left out some of the required Intro. viz [Section title as found in Magic Window] from The Anzac Book, edited by C. E. W. Bean." You've only read the Section title
~ 1:17 the text says
led my cuddy
I hear led my ruddy Incidentally, I had to look the word up, apparently it means horse or donkey, which makes sense in the context (ruddy doesn't). I've never heard the term before and been in Australia several decades now.
~ 3.26 you've skipped most of a line (highlighted in red). Text says '..a borehole had been put through to the surface at the centre of every room for ventilation and light'
~ 4.19 Not sure what you said, but the phrase 'into his lucerne patch' was garbled and unclear. Lucerne (a feed crop that makes great hay) is pronounced as though spelt 'loose-ern'
~ 4.51 Not sure what word you are saying, but it should be submarines I hear something like sumberines
~ 5.17 text says ...'the bald pate of the great hill...' I hear pat (not pate, with a long a) which makes no sense.

Could you add in the footnote for pozzy (for non-Australians of course ;-) please?

Your final silence should be a full 5 secs - yours is a bit shorter than that.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

alanmapstone wrote: April 6th, 2020, 7:14 am Section 50 - My ANZAC Home

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anzacbook_50_various_128kb.mp3
2:30
Lovely! PL OK. You captured the dry and wry sense of ANZAC humour perfectly. Thank you, I enjoyed listening to you.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

FernandoBorrego wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:23 am Good morning,

I've uploaded my first recording. Hopefully, it's done correctly. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anzacbook_53_various_128kb.mp3

3minutes 25 seconds

Fingers crossed,

Fernando Borrego
Very nice recording, Fernando. I like the way you've aimed to bring out the meaning and I enjoyed listening to it.
However, there are a couple of things that need fixing.
First, tech:
It is too quiet - at below 82dB, your recording volume is not within the Librivox standard range of 86-92 (aim for around 89). It's relatively easily fixed by amplifying. When you start out, it's a good idea to use Checker on every file before uploading, to check you've got the specs right. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
I regularly have to amplify my recordings (quiet voice) - I use ReplayGain to tell me how much to amplify by https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

and then amplify my recording in Audacity. And after amplifying, check for extra noise, as that gets amplified too. Let us know if you need more help on this.

Errors:
~1:07 text says had her share I hear had her fare (which doesn't make sense)

You have left too many long silences within your reading of 2 secs, 2.5 secs and more, eg, 1:51, 1:57, 2:43 etc etc. Please reduce anything close to or over 2 secs down to 1 - 1.5 max. Silences of 2 secs or more are almost never acceptable. (I kept thinking the reading had stopped.)

~ 2.0 Word omitted. Text says ... we're living still in caves
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

FernandoBorrego wrote: April 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm Hello again,

Here is the recording for Thunderstorm (section 56). 4:12

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/Anzacbook_56_various_128kb.mp3

I hope it's okay. :)

Fernando Borrego
Hi Fernando
Another nice recording.
The good news is that your volume is fine on this one.

But there's a few issues that need fixing.

1. You have added a capital letter in your filename. Files MUST always use only lower case, per standard. Strange things occur when they aren't.
2. The intro should be the long one, and what you have read does not match the one set out in post 1. Please fix it.
3. Your end silence is not the full required 5 secs (ie, too short). This makes a difference in the final compiling.
4. As before, please reduce any silences close to or exceeding 2 secs, eg, ~ 0:43, 2:35 etc. Please reduce to 1.5-1.75 (love the way you did the Boom!s by the way)
5. You've entirely left out the last part of the article, which continues on p.123 in the book, past the photo - a bit confusing I know.

Lovely reading though. I really enjoy listening to you read.
regards
Jane Bennett
nighthawks

Post by nighthawks »

Here is Section 13, the neverending chase

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/theanzacbook_13_various_128kb.mp3

00:43

Sorry for the Error.

nighthawks

Post by nighthawks »

May I please record Section 25, Hill 60. Thanks

paulbrianstewart

Post by paulbrianstewart »

Jmbau13 wrote: April 8th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Have a great week,
Paul Stewart
Hello Paul. Thank you for this. It's a very nice reading. I like your voice, the pace of reading and the way you read it to make sense.
However, there are quite a few errors that have crept in:

~ 0:19 Could you leave about 1.5 secs between your name and announcing the title please? You've left barely 1/2 sec, and I thought at first it was still part of your reader attribution it followed so quickly.
~0.19 You've left out some of the required Intro. viz [Section title as found in Magic Window] from The Anzac Book, edited by C. E. W. Bean." You've only read the Section title
~ 1:17 the text says
led my cuddy
I hear led my ruddy Incidentally, I had to look the word up, apparently it means horse or donkey, which makes sense in the context (ruddy doesn't). I've never heard the term before and been in Australia several decades now.
~ 3.26 you've skipped most of a line (highlighted in red). Text says '..a borehole had been put through to the surface at the centre of every room for ventilation and light'
~ 4.19 Not sure what you said, but the phrase 'into his lucerne patch' was garbled and unclear. Lucerne (a feed crop that makes great hay) is pronounced as though spelt 'loose-ern'
~ 4.51 Not sure what word you are saying, but it should be submarines I hear something like sumberines
~ 5.17 text says ...'the bald pate of the great hill...' I hear pat (not pate, with a long a) which makes no sense.

Could you add in the footnote for pozzy (for non-Australians of course ;-) please?

Your final silence should be a full 5 secs - yours is a bit shorter than that.
Thanks Jane, I'll get onto it and try to have it rerecorded sometime this weekend...thanks for the detailed feedback, I appreciate it
Paul S
FernandoBorrego

Post by FernandoBorrego »

Hi Jane,
I'll work on it.
Thank you!

Jmbau13 wrote: April 8th, 2020, 8:52 pm
FernandoBorrego wrote: April 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm Hello again,

Here is the recording for Thunderstorm (section 56). 4:12

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/Anzacbook_56_various_128kb.mp3

I hope it's okay. :)

Fernando Borrego
Hi Fernando
Another nice recording.
The good news is that your volume is fine on this one.

But there's a few issues that need fixing.

1. You have added a capital letter in your filename. Files MUST always use only lower case, per standard. Strange things occur when they aren't.
2. The intro should be the long one, and what you have read does not match the one set out in post 1. Please fix it.
3. Your end silence is not the full required 5 secs (ie, too short). This makes a difference in the final compiling.
4. As before, please reduce any silences close to or exceeding 2 secs, eg, ~ 0:43, 2:35 etc. Please reduce to 1.5-1.75 (love the way you did the Boom!s by the way)
5. You've entirely left out the last part of the article, which continues on p.123 in the book, past the photo - a bit confusing I know.

Lovely reading though. I really enjoy listening to you read.
Fernando Borrego