[COMPLETE]World's Story 7: Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: April 14th, 2019, 2:11 am I think I already heard about this game but I don't know the rules. Maybe Availle or Monika know more about it
I haven't heard about a game called "Jass" but I do know cards with "Eichel"n, they are common in Bavaria. The other ones are "Schellen", "Herz" and "Gras". In Bavaria "Watten" and particularly "Schafkopf" are played with them.

But look, Wikipedia has an answer for almost everything:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jass :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: April 14th, 2019, 2:22 am]I haven't heard about a game called "Jass" but I do know cards with "Eichel"n, they are common in Bavaria. The other ones are "Schellen", "Herz" and "Gras". In Bavaria "Watten" and particularly "Schafkopf" are played with them.
aha, so you don't have the 4 colours like the French cards ? hearts, diamonds, spades and clubs ? :hmm:

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: April 14th, 2019, 2:29 am aha, so you don't have the 4 colours like the French cards ?
You have four colors, but they look different. I guess you can substitute them though - heart is Herz, spade Gras, diamond maybe Schellen and club Eichel (or vice versa? :hmm:)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 13th, 2019, 5:18 pm Here is Section 4:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume07_004_tappan_128kb.mp3 21.61 KB
and our first section in this book is PL ok. Caesar showing himself as the great strategist again. It was so strange hearing the new disclaimer title of the book for the first time. Now I got used so much to Russia, Austria-Hungary etc :lol: I'm sure I will record it wrongly the first time I do my new section.

Thanks Jim ! Excellent start !

And I think it's time to move us to Readers Wanted....

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thank you! I enjoyed being a part of all their strategic maneuverings. :clap:
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Scotty
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Sonia,

Here are the first two of my sections:

The escape of Hugo de Groot:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume07_067_tappan_128kb.mp3 18:11

Slot Loevestein, where this takes places, is still a beautiful fortress! With it's double moat and being surrounded by two rivers, I do get why the Netherlands has gotten a reputation for being quite a wet country! :lol:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Slot_loevestein_luchtfoto.jpg (EDIT: link instead of image!)

Wilhelmina:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume07_083_tappan_128kb.mp3 12:33
Fun fact, the golden chariot that is mentioned in this section is still in use. It is only allowed to be used by a head of state (with 8 horses spanned before it!), or by the heir to the throne (with a maximum of 6 horses). Every year, on the third Tuesday of September, the head of state uses it to ride to the place where they deliver their speech from the throne. :D
Last edited by Foon on April 15th, 2019, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: April 14th, 2019, 12:26 pmSome Swiss sections for Sonia by Scotty Smith:
I love alliteration, so thank you for that already 8-)
also thanks for these three wonderfully narrated and interesting sections. All three PL ok. I highly enjoyed the accent you gave the French tourist guide :mrgreen: nice touch to make it all lively. And wow the castle was meticulously described. It's been many years since I last saw it but I vividly could remember the places again that were described there. :9:

Excellent job, Scotty !

Only please be careful with the filenames. We need 3 digits since there are more than 100 sections. But don't worry about these for now, I'll change them in my folder. No need to reupload, since there were no other errors. :)

Sonia
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Thank you Sonia! For sure the castle one brought back some memories! :9:

So sorry for the typo,
Missing a leading zero,
Screwing with the sort auto!
Thanks for correcting the nums,
So they’ll be in the right row!
Scotty
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: April 15th, 2019, 6:58 amSo sorry for the typo,
Missing a leading zero,
Screwing with the sort auto!
Thanks for correcting the nums,
So they’ll be in the right row!
8-) I see here is a poet in the making....

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: April 15th, 2019, 5:12 amHere are the first two of my sections:
super, thank you, Foon. Wow this escape of de Groot was really spectacular. And if the guards constantly asked themselves whether a man was inside, I think the obvious thing would have been to check :lol: They were not doing their job properly. I'm surprised Mrs de Groot simply was able to leave after this trick.
Slot Loevestein, where this takes places, is still a beautiful fortress! With it's double moat and being surrounded by two rivers, I do get why the Netherlands has gotten a reputation for being quite a wet country! :lol:
indeed beautiful. I think that's a spot I might want to visit on a short weekend trip. 8-)

Thanks for the pic, but please, we try not to overburden our server and the uploading of our pages too much, so we ask for links to images instead of the pictures themselves to show up here. This one picture won't do any harm, but if too many are on one page, it may be long loading-time for slower connections. :?
Fun fact, the golden chariot that is mentioned in this section is still in use. It is only allowed to be used by a head of state (with 8 horses spanned before it!), or by the heir to the throne (with a maximum of 6 horses). Every year, on the third Tuesday of September, the head of state uses it to ride to the place where they deliver their speech from the throne. :D
interesting tidbit, thanks. So "only" the head of state or also their spouse inside the chariot ?

Thanks ! Both sections excellently read and PL ok. I loved hearing the correct Dutch pronunciations of all these names. :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Got a claim via PM from Rob for his nephew Stoofy, who will get signed up for our Walter, William Tell's daring boy. :9: Thanks Rob and Stoofy !
RobMarland wrote:I am not going home for Easter, but it might be possible I can do it over skype (I can get someone to record him on a decent digital recorder in the room).
This would be over the Easter weekend, so if you sign Stoofy up and we don't manage to do it, you could release the role next week.
Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Kitty wrote: April 15th, 2019, 7:19 am Thanks for the pic, but please, we try not to overburden our server and the uploading of our pages too much, so we ask for links to images instead of the pictures themselves to show up here. This one picture won't do any harm, but if too many are on one page, it may be long loading-time for slower connections. :?
You're absolutely right! I replaced the image with just the link. I just love all the forts we have spread out through the whole middle of the country, our historical "defense line", and just wanted to share the love ;)
interesting tidbit, thanks. So "only" the head of state or also their spouse inside the chariot ?
Nah they can travel with their spouse, and also other members of the royal family I believe (for example, the King's mother, our previous queen), as long as the head of state is with them. But they can't travel in it unless he's with them!
Another fun fact: the carriage has a domed roof, because Wilhelmina wanted to be able to stand up in the chariot to wave at people while wearing a hat, and that's the only way it'd fit! :lol:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: April 15th, 2019, 7:38 am Another fun fact: the carriage has a domed roof, because Wilhelmina wanted to be able to stand up in the chariot to wave at people while wearing a hat, and that's the only way it'd fit! :lol:
:lol: what kind of a hat was that !!!!

thanks for giving the link instead of the pic. :)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »