Carolin

Post by Carolin »

LucSharp wrote: February 20th, 2018, 5:35 am Hi,

I'd like to read..

58 Est Modus in Rebus

Thanks,

Luc
Hi and welcome to librivox!

You are welcome to read that section. To be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.

Please also complete the one minute test before getting started :) thank you!
Carolin
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Greg ! these are hilarious. I think with the Judge Carey this is the first time you really let show your comedic skills in full (at least to me). :thumbs: The voices you made for the two men in the dialogue are excellently fitting. So much so that I wonder why we don't hear you more often in our drama forum. I LOVED this poem and your interpretation.

The poem about the lie I did not like so much, not your fault though. The story itself was very funny (although predictable :lol: ) but I did not like the metre and total lack of any rhyming scheme there. It did not really feel like a poem to me at all. Each time I expected a rhyme it felt weird to have a totally different ending.

Well, be that as it may: Section 42 is PL ok.

For the judge, entertaining as he was, I do have a PL note to correct though:

> at 0:45: There lives one Justice Carey - you say lies which to me sounds more as if he was dead already :lol: which is exactly the opposite of how he felt and behaved in this poem.

Thanks for this excellent acting (it was more than reading, definitely)

Sonia
eruid

Post by eruid »

I'd like to claim Section 46, A Tale of Idaho. I'd like to use the pseudonym "Eris Bueller."
EDIT: Here's a link to the mp3. https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_46_leland_128kb.mp3

This was my first recording. I hope I did well enough. :birthday:
Last edited by eruid on February 24th, 2018, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: February 24th, 2018, 7:51 am
Greg ! these are hilarious. I think with the Judge Carey this is the first time you really let show your comedic skills in full (at least to me). :thumbs: The voices you made for the two men in the dialogue are excellently fitting. So much so that I wonder why we don't hear you more often in our drama forum. I LOVED this poem and your interpretation.

The poem about the lie I did not like so much, not your fault though. The story itself was very funny (although predictable :lol: ) but I did not like the metre and total lack of any rhyming scheme there. It did not really feel like a poem to me at all. Each time I expected a rhyme it felt weird to have a totally different ending.

Well, be that as it may: Section 42 is PL ok.

For the judge, entertaining as he was, I do have a PL note to correct though:

> at 0:45: There lives one Justice Carey - you say lies which to me sounds more as if he was dead already :lol: which is exactly the opposite of how he felt and behaved in this poem.

Thanks for this excellent acting (it was more than reading, definitely)

Sonia
Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging words! When given the chance I love to create unique voices for characters. When I started LV I read a lot of children's stories because one can go to town with voices, characters, etc. The Carey of Carson was a fun read.

I agree that the other poem was not much fun at all. When I first read through it I thought I could make it rhyme by my my timing but as I began to record I realized it just wasn't written that way. Oh well, it had to be recorded so the book will one day be complete.

I will make the correction you noted as soon as I can get a quiet moment on my computer.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Take care,

Gregii
emmacharliebrowning

Post by emmacharliebrowning »

GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is the corrected Section 40, with Justice Carey - now alive and well, as he should be!

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_40_leland_128kb.mp3

The running time of the piece remains the same.

Thanks for catching this!

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: February 25th, 2018, 5:49 am Here is the corrected Section 40, with Justice Carey - now alive and well, as he should be!
alive and kicking, as the saying goes, and so true in this case :lol: Thanks, Greg, excellently edited in. PL ok now. :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

niiiiice reading Emma :9: your poem somehow lulled me like in a cradle with the same chorus repeating in a sort of dreamy quality to your voice. And the story was SPOOKY :help: Then in the end, when the audience is speaking up again, you have a total change of register, which is an excellent contrast to the poem. You sound great as a rowdy sailor :thumbs:

Well done and PL ok. Thanks !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

eruid wrote: February 24th, 2018, 12:38 pmI'd like to claim Section 46, A Tale of Idaho. I'd like to use the pseudonym "Eris Bueller."
EDIT: Here's a link to the mp3. https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_46_leland_128kb.mp3
This was my first recording. I hope I did well enough. :birthday:
Welcome to Librivox, Eris :) Now I see your enthusiasm to start made you jump the gun a little bit ;) Usually we recommend doing a one-minute test to check the technical details are all up to LV standard, but since you uploaded a poem already, I can well use this as "test" as well.

Now first of all, nothing wrong with your reading, in fact it is excellent. Very fluent and tongue-in-cheek, which is extremely fitting for the topic of this poem :lol: I enjoyed listening to it a lot and would love to hear more from you. Also, no textual errors whatsoever, so this is perfect for audiobook narration. :thumbs:

On the technical side, we'd need a bit of tweaking though, because your recording is not loud enough. You barely reach 82 dB, and we would need more around 89 dB, although anything within the 86-92 dB is accepted. No need to re-record though ! Are you using Audacity ? It's very easy to amplify volume in that program. Could you do the following please:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 7 (for your specific case now) into the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

Now by amplifying the whole recording you are of course also amplifying the background noise, so we would need a bit of noise-cleaning as well. Can you do this step-by-step too, please:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (I would use between 0:06 and 0:08 here if I was you, there you see the pure background noise well if you zoom into the section)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

Then re-export with the same file name and reupload. Don't do any other changes with the text, the rest is totally fine !

Thank you. I will also open your reader page for you now and assign you the section. Usually it's better to make sure the section is assigned to you before you start recording, but since no one else had claimed the section before you, in this case it's ok.

edit: here is your freshly created reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/12298
here you can check which projects you are part of, what claims are still outstanding and where you have PL notes. :)

Sonia