LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently April 16th, 2014, 10:12 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ] 

Post Posted:: January 10th, 2006, 8:49 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

MONEY TALK

[Last updated: 28th March 2010]

Where does LibriVox get its funding?
From Sept '05 - Feb '10: Nowhere. The Internet Archive hosts our audio files (for free), and nyip.net generously provides hosting services for our website (for free).
From Feb '10 - July '13: We held a limited-time, fixed-amount funding drive in February 2010, as our hosting and development costs were growing just too large to be handled by donation of time and resources. Read the original announcement and the achievement post for details of the costs and donations received. We raised enough funds for a budget of US$23,000 to last the next three to four years. This money is held by archive.org for our use.
From July 2013 onwards: In July 2013 we launched a new funding drive, "LibriVox needs your help!", with the short term goal of raising $50,000. For more details see - http://librivox.org/2013/07/03/librivox-needs-your-help-2/. Going forward, we will continue to have a donation page on the LibriVox website. This is new for us and we hope it will bring in enough in donations to cover ongoing system administration costs and development support for future upgrades to our new software systems. This is made easier if we have a cushion in the bank so that LibriVox volunteers don’t have to stay up at night worrying about how this or that will be paid for.

Can I advertise on your site?
No. We are a completely non-commercial project, and we don't want ad. money. If you are a literature-based site or project, blog or podcast, we will probably link to you if you send us an email -- especially if you are non-commercial, or have such an idealistic outlook about literature and books and high-falutin' things, that your business plan is sure to fail. But if you do make it big, and we've linked to you, maybe you can use your new clout to promote LibriVox.

Are you planning an IPO?
No. We will remain an independent, non-commercial, volunteer, non-profit project.

I work for Yahoo/Google/Microsoft/a VC and I would like to buy you, who should I contact?
We'd be happy if you could help us out somehow, but LibriVox, as they say, is not for sale. Though anyone is free to use our content however they wish -- including Yahoo, Google and Microsoft, and even VCs.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]