They call me Doctor V!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
DoctorV

Post by DoctorV »

Hello,
As a retired educator, I'm captivated by the awesome mission of LibriVox. The Slave Narratives project caught my attention, since it dovetails with my long-time interest in the Underground Railroad (UGRR). I have visited several UGRR sites/museums in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Florida and I've been able to share my photos through a narrated slideshow. I became interested in audio narration in 2012 and since then I've created several narrated slideshows using PowerPoint and Audacity. Recently, I've been honing my narration and audio editing skills. Having once served as a Reading Teacher, I'm inspired to contribute to a project that makes all kinds of books accessible to everyone. I look forward to making my first recording for LibriVox!

Sincerely,
Maureen O. Vanterpool, PhD
dcoleman

Post by dcoleman »

Hi Dr. V!
DoctorV wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:12 am The Slave Narratives project caught my attention, since it dovetails with my long-time interest in the Underground Railroad (UGRR).
This is really cool! I don't know a ton about the UGRR, but I am glad that there are people like you working to document and preserve the work of those incredibly brave people who coordinated the liberation of slaves. I look forward to seeing you and your work around!
DoctorV wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:12 am I've created several narrated slideshows using PowerPoint and Audacity.
You should post links to them if they're available online. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to check them out!

Best,

Dan
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

DoctorV wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:12 am Hello,
As a retired educator, I'm captivated by the awesome mission of LibriVox. The Slave Narratives project caught my attention, since it dovetails with my long-time interest in the Underground Railroad (UGRR). I have visited several UGRR sites/museums in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Florida and I've been able to share my photos through a narrated slideshow. I became interested in audio narration in 2012 and since then I've created several narrated slideshows using PowerPoint and Audacity. Recently, I've been honing my narration and audio editing skills. Having once served as a Reading Teacher, I'm inspired to contribute to a project that makes all kinds of books accessible to everyone. I look forward to making my first recording for LibriVox!

Sincerely,
Maureen O. Vanterpool, PhD
Have you ever considered authoring an anthology? "They call me Doctor V" is a perfect opener for the first book in such a series and from there you could take on any genre that pleases you! Seriously, welcome to librivox - your experience should prove invaluable.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
DoctorV

Post by DoctorV »

Hi Brian. Thanks for your reply. I have not thought about authoring an anthology, but you planted a seed!
DoctorV

Post by DoctorV »

Hi Dan. Thanks for your suggestion that I post links to my narrated slideshows. I'm in the process of re-recording the narrations, since I've been developing my audio editing skills in Audacity. My goal is to post them to my YouTube channel and I'll make them available.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

DoctorV wrote: October 8th, 2022, 9:34 am Hi Brian. Thanks for your reply. I have not thought about authoring an anthology, but you planted a seed!
OK, if you say so, doctor. I still think that you know how to "hook" a reader. I saw that subject line and I was compelled. Who wouldn't be? I'm looking forward to reading more from you. I'll settle for listening to your recordings.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer