Hi from Vancouver

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
pericat

Post by pericat »

Hi! I recorded earlier this week, with no real goal in mind, The Wizard of Oz. I put up the first few chapters on my website. The amount of space even 34kbBbbbthbpt files took up raised both my eyebrows to the point where my glasses slid down my nose, there's no way I can afford to keep the things online for download indefinitely, but a kind reader mentioned LibriVox.

It isn't a terribly good job, though I think I got better as I went. Now I'm in the middle of the second book, and I see that on both I am far from the only one reading them into a mic, but on the other hand, it's good practice. So I guess I'll keep going.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi Pericat, welcome and glad you found your way here!

We have another volunteer who is currently recording the Wizard (see Going Solo), but the more the merrier! :)

If you want to make your recordings available to LibriVox, please remember to record the disclaimer at the beginning and end of the chapters - for further information, see the sticky in Going Solo http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717 (please also post your offerings there, or if you're looking for other readers, make it a Collaborative project in Readers Wanted: Books).

The FAQ is also a useful source for newbies.

Hope to see you round the forum, and enjoy your reading! :)
Last edited by Gesine on January 13th, 2006, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
GordMackenzie

Post by GordMackenzie »

Welcome, pericat!

The general philosophy here at Librivox is "the more the merrier!". Each individual reading is unique and worthwhile. So please keep reading! ... and if you'd like to donate your readings to the public domain and have them added to the Librivox catalog, I know that they will be kindly welcomed.

[edit: LOL! Gesine beat me to the punch by 4 minutes! ]
Gord Mackenzie
gord[dot]mackenzie[at]gmail.com
Librivox Wiki Page: [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GordMackenzie]GordMackenzie[/url]
pericat

Post by pericat »

Thanks, both of you. I intend them to be PD, but will need to do some work to make them fit in with LibriVox standards.
vee

Post by vee »

Good morning!

Hopefully the librivox disclaimer shouldn't be that difficult. When I have a lot of stuff to record, I tend to record the disclaimer once and then just paste it at the beginning of each file.

Well good luck and welcome aboard!
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
pericat

Post by pericat »

The disclaimer's not an issue; it's resaving the files as 128kibble. Which also isn't an 'issue' per se, but it won't happen for wishing. I'll manage, though, no worries. :)