Hello from Tallahassee

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

Hi everyone. I'm Roger, a long-time lurker and first-time volunteer. I currently study creative writing at Florida State, and am ready to volunteer.

I'm working on a novel about Darwin, and so I'd love to tackle some of his work beyond Origin of Species. Voyage of the Beagle, anyone?
anna

Post by anna »

Welcome Roger,

Have fun here :)
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Even though I was a bio major back in the day, I had no idea that Darwin was so prolific in his writings!

A list of his works on gutenberg that are not yet on LV:

Autobiography of Charles Darwin
Coral Reefs
The Descent of Man (English)
The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same Species
Effects of Cross and Self Fertilisation in the Vegetable Kingdom
The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals
Geological Observations on South America
Insectivorous Plants
Life and Letters of Charles Darwin — Volume 1
Life and Letters of Charles Darwin — Volume 2
More Letters of Charles Darwin — Volume 1
More Letters of Charles Darwin — Volume 2
The Movements and Habits of Climbing Plants
Note on the Resemblances and Differences in the Structure and the Development of the Brain in Man and Apes
The Power of Movement in Plants
The formation of vegetable mould through the action of worms, with observations on their habits
Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication
Volcanic Islands
The Voyage of the Beagle

Okay, so some of them might not have been blockbusters, but still, there are options aplenty!!!

Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Welcome and Enjoy, great to have you on board.

Lucy :)
Short Stories
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

@Robert Scott

I could coordinate the Beagle reading, though I have no idea what's involved. Can you tell me more?

@not.a.moose

I know -- he was prolific! I like the idea of doing Voyage of the Beagle, because it was aimed at the general reader. It's also one of his earliest works.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good to have you hear, Roger!

There's a wiki page with more information on becoming a Coordinator which might be interesting. We recommend that people do a good few recordings first, though, so they get the hang of the LibriVox system and process before launching into a collaborative book of their own. (Solo projects are a bit different.) What you could try, perhaps, would be posting over in Book Suggestions and see what the support is like for Beagle-ing, and perhaps someone experienced in BCing will either run with the idea (so you can gain experience directly on that book) or else co-BC with you.

Whatever you do, though, have fun!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

Cori,

I figured as much, and that's a good policy. I'm reading a few sections for the Dhammapada for the experience. I'll post in Book Suggestions, and see who's interested.

Thanks,

Roger
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Roger,

I'd love to throw my weight behind the Beagle project. BCing is not all that difficult. The biggest difficulty -and its not even that- is getting setup up with admin passwords and talking with a few folks for freely and generously offered server space.

I say go for it! I'm happy to share any of the things that I've learned from my own recording/BCing processes and give a hand while you're getting the ropes lashed to the mizzen, as it were.

My price? Getting dibs on the first 2 chapters! Too much fun has been had down in Salvador and Rio!

Cheers!
Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]