Hello from America

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
figgisnewton

Post by figgisnewton »

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of setting up my laptop and I am looking to read something a little shorter, just to get my feet wet and work out any issues that may arise during the recording process. I took a look at the readers wanted forum and I am not entirely sure where to start or what I need to do. I am also interested in reading anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs, I saw some of his works are available on Project Gutenberg, I just want to be completely sure they're in the public domain before I start.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

-Fig
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

figgisnewton wrote: ↑August 23rd, 2021, 7:50 am Hello everyone,

I am in the process of setting up my laptop and I am looking to read something a little shorter, just to get my feet wet and work out any issues that may arise during the recording process. I took a look at the readers wanted forum and I am not entirely sure where to start or what I need to do. I am also interested in reading anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs, I saw some of his works are available on Project Gutenberg, I just want to be completely sure they're in the public domain before I start.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

-Fig
Hello Fig and welcome to LibriVox! Our recommended way of vetting your recording setup is the 1-minute test. The instructions can be found on this page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

After your test has been OK'ed, you can find something short to start with in the forum Readers Wanted: Short Works (among other places):

viewforum.php?f=19

If you have any doubts about copyright status of a text or any other questions, please post a messages on the forums (Book Suggestions, Need Help, the project thread of the collection you want to contribute it to), and we'll be happy to help.

Michael
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Something needed very much for Edgar Rice Burroughs is his book The Eternal Lover. This was published in 1925, so its in the public domain now for sure.

When it was published as a paperback in 1963, the title was change to "The Eternal Savage".

A scan of the paperback is on Archive.org here:

https://archive.org/details/eternalsavage0000burr

The reason it says the copyright is 1914 and 1915 is that it was first published in magazines in 1914-15 as two shorter stories "The Eternal Lover" and the sequel 'Sweetheart Primeval". The book contains both of them.

Everything you'd want to know about this and more can be found here:

https://www.erbzine.com/mag7/0759.html
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

figgisnewton wrote: ↑August 23rd, 2021, 7:50 am Hello everyone,

I am in the process of setting up my laptop and I am looking to read something a little shorter, just to get my feet wet
Welcome, Daly! πŸ’ πŸ₯•

Congrats for setting up all the tech things & figuring out well the details! 🐠
Thank you for participating and...
(β—€ click it!) 🐴 πŸ„
Alexander ❀ HandmadePSK ❀ About me β—€β—€β—€ (readable)
πŸ¦‹ Aspire to inspire before we expire! πŸ¦„